Author Topic: Our Novaliches Project  (Read 13919 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Our Novaliches Project
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »
*Since some of our posts were lost due to the unfortunate crashing of the Forum recently, I\'m reposting this information for the new members of the group.*

As many of our older members already know, Gloria and I have been involved in rebuilding some of the property in Metro Manila for our family.  While this is by no means anything spectacular by the standards many of us have set for our own homes, it is certainly a big step up for my family who had previously been residing in two small wooden \"shacks\".

When I met Glo in December 1999, she had three sisters living on two small lots in Novaliches, Bagong Silang, Caloocan City.  One older sister, Nelly, had a small concrete 3-room house with a corrugated metal roof and an outdoor CR.  Two other sisters, Nonie and Ester, along with Ester\'s husband Ronel and two children Tin-Tin and Ryan, lived in two adjoining wooden houses on one small lot across the path from Nelly.  Another older sister lives in Pasig City.

Whenever we visit the family we stay in Novaliches, since most of the family is there.  I was a bit distressed when I found that I was sleeping every night in my brother in law\'s bed, only because this meant that he had to sleep on the living room floor!  Gloria and I began discussing this situation early on in our relationship.  We didn\'t have the financial means to do anything about this situation at first, but as time progressed and as our personal finances allowed it, we decided that we would begin a rebuilding process on the two small wooden houses so that our sisters and the two small kids would have a better home.

About 4 years ago we razed the front house that Nonie lived in by herself and began constructing a small concrete \"base\" from which we intended to add on.  When we visited in 2006 this had been completed giving Nonie a small combo sala/dining area/kucina and one bedroom.  There was also an attached CR.  This small concrete structure adjoined the small wooden house in the rear occupied by my brother in law Ronel, sister Ester and the kids.  During our visit Ronel and I discussed the coming changes and decided that we would incorporate his house into the main concrete structure.  When this stage was complete it looked something like this.  This view also includes the outer wall, \"courtyard\" and Ronel\'s small sari-sari store in the front corner of the property

A couple of months ago we began the next phase of the rebuild, which will take us up to the second floor.  This will include 4 bedrooms, a second CR and a veranda across the front of the building.  It will also involve covering the courtyard and Ronel\'s sari-sari store to accommodate the large bedroom and veranda .  This will allow us to enlarge Ronel\'s store giving him more room for stock and enabling him to make a little more income, not to mention giving him more room to breathe.  :-)  The perspective is off a little due to this being an early attempt at using Google SketchUp.  It should actually bit slightly longer than it appears in this image.  (sorry)

The wrought iron in the veranda is to keep out the local \"monkeys\" and will include one section in the front that can be opened in a gate-like fashion.  This will give us access to the second floor for large pieces of furniture to be passed through when we furnish the house and will also give us an emergency exit for any reason, should we need it. 

The rooftop will be made into an open terrace.  Since we effectively covered up any open yard they had, I felt this was a no-brainer and will be a great place for all of us to gather at night to enjoy the evening breeze (and a few cold ones).  :-)  The Filipinos are very fond of their bahay kubos, as am I, so I decided we should include one for the family.  But since there are a dozen or more family members around at any given time I felt that the standard bahay kubo simply wouldn\'t be big enough.  For that reason I thought that we should instead include a kamarin, similar to the beach huts we rent whenever we take the family to the beach.  And since there are frequent typhoons a typical bamboo and nipa kamarin just wouldn\'t do.  So I included plans for reinforced concrete \"posts\" and a steel frame for the nipa roofing.  These can later be covered in bamboo and nipa to complete the \"native\" look. 

To keep the sun and rain away from the veranda we plan to include some form of awning, maybe something using barrel tiles.  It will depend on the cost, of course, as well as what the family wants it to look like when finished.  There will also be a small utility room on the roof terrace to hold a backup generator:

We\'ll also include two water tanks and maybe a nice built-in grill so Tito Jack can show off his BBQ skills.  :-)

To handle the rain, I\'ve included drains for the rooftop.  Some of the water will be collected in barrels for washing clothes, some could possibly be diverted to the existing well and water tank, which is then sold to the locals.  The remaining excess will be sent out into the storm drains and into the river at the end of the path.     

When all is said and done, we should end up with something like this:

Again, this may not be everyone\'s cup of tea, but keep in mind what the intent was and is; to improve on what they had originally and provide a more sturdy, weather proof home for the majority of my family.  To this end I think this will serve it\'s intended purpose. 

Gloria and I have something quite different in mind for ourselves.  But that\'s another story, and one that has not begun to be written.  But stay tuned for future developments.   
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Braddo

• Sr Member
Re: Our Novaliches Project
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:19:12 AM »
Well done Jack, I would be very happy living in that abode good idea\'s wish I could work out how to use Sketchup As we have already built our bottom floor I am trying to put together the next stage the top floor but so far have not got past opening up the program and drawing a single line. I think I am going to need someone to start me off before I go any further.

Braddo :P

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06:27 PM »
Jack,

All it takes is a little imagination to come up with a palace!  I bet the neighbors will be drooling at your take on Lechon Manok on the grill... ;D

I\'m designing our next house already, using Punch! Home Design Pro software. It fairly simple to use and does the 2D, 3D, and do a \"virtual\" walk through of the hose and floorplan when you are done.  I used it for the floorplan of our last house, so now I have some experience in using it and hope to finish it up in a few weeks, dimensioned and ready to go straight to the architect.

Now if the Mrs. would let me know what changes to make BEFORE I finish the design...lol.

Nice drawing job...and keep us posted!

Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »
Some nice ideas Jack. As you say, this may not be everybodies \'cup of tea\' but has made excellent use of what was available and will make a good home for the family.

You are getting the hang of sketchup, how did you do that nippa roof?

Colin

Painfully and slowly.   :P   ;D  I used one leaf from a palm on the side of the house, set it at the proper angle (or as close as SketchUp would allow) and then copied and pasted it in place.  First I copied one leaf, then the two together, then four.  I then copied and pasted each set of four in place and then moved it over.  Once I had the first side finished, I copied and pasted the second side.  Only took me about 97 hours!   :o   ;D ;D
Actually, it took me about 2 hours to complete. 

Some things about SketchUp are cool, some aren\'t.  They don\'t allow you to get the correct angle on things you copy and paste, especially the components you download from the SketchUp Warehouse.  At least, I haven\'t found a way to do it properly.  It was okay for these drawings.  They were sufficient for the engineer to make his own blueprints from.  In fact, my brother in law Ronel said that the engineer was impressed with my eye for detail.  I\'m glad they were satisfied.  :)

But I\'m afraid I\'ll need to try something different for our house design.  I think I\'ll look into the Punch! Home Design Pro software Greg spoke of... maybe.

Hey Greg!  Is the Punch! software free like Google SketchUp?  If not, I\'ll have to get a lot better with SketchUp when I design our house.   ;)   :D  ;D ;D

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:48:30 AM »
Check some of these out, if you like the result, I\'ll see about getting out some disks, but be advised it requires 5GB of disk.

Each of these diagrams has many many many hours or work, you need to draw each component, each nut, each bolt, each window and window pane. but you can out put it as a dwg file to be imported direct into autocad or as a stp or igs file for use in any other 3D app, but not Sketch-up.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
Hey Greg!  Is the Punch! software free like Google SketchUp?

Jack,

Just as Colin said, its not free, but it is reasonably priced, and pretty straight forward to use.  If you Google it, you might be able to get it for a reasonable price.  I think I paid about $100 for the software, and it works in some ways like a CAD program. Each of the segments of the house are layered, so you can go back and see what you have from the beginning. It goes through all the detailed needs...foundations, flooring, interior/exterior walls, plumbing, electrical, etc.  The part that I really enjoy is it switches between 2D and 3D very quickly and you can do a virtual \"walk\" through your house as you are designing it! That way you get a feel for what it will look like when you are done.  I did a rough sketch of the floorplan on a different program, and when I started designing it on Punch!, I found quite a few things that didn\'t fit or looked too cramped, so I went in and made changes. Very versitile.

And, if you are really into seeing what your home will look like, there is also a detail in Punch! Home Designer Pro that will allow you to make an actual model of the house you are designing. 

All in all, I\'m very pleased with the program.
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:44:30 AM »
Just a small update on our project...

The building has been topped out and should be ready for occupation within the next couple of weeks.  Finishing touches (Paint, tile, windows, doors) will proceed over the following month or so.  Not my style, but the family is anxious to break in their new bedrooms.   ;D

The front elevation stone veneer work has the kapitbahay chismis machine in full gear.  Ornamental wrought iron for veranda will be ready for installation right after Easter.  Have asked for photos and am anxiously awaiting the pics, which will be shared as soon as they hit my Inbox.

Stay tuned...   :)

Offline winchester

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »
Nice project you got there! How did you do your roof deck? I mean what types of materials did you put in? We also had a roofdeck instead of the traditional metal roofing on our apartment building, I\'d like to share some of our experiences on this. Ours was built around 5 yrs ago, some type of water proofing was applied on the concrete not sure what it is I wasn\'t there during the construction.

For a couple of years it was ok, after that it started leaking after every heavy downpour. Overtime it became worst. We kept applying sealant and all, it didn\'t last long so didn\'t help much. When it rains, it pours inside specially during the rainy season. Electrical wirings, pipings, paints and cabinets were getting damaged every now and then. Until such time we decided to just put a metal roofing which was finished couple of months ago. I was told by a local engineer the reason of the problem. Concrete flooring gets battered with heat, cold and water causing it to keep expanding and contracting, overtime this will cause some small openings or crack on the concrete. Never really anticipated this would come. I was not aware if there are some types of materials that is really suitable for roof deck applications that can last.

I am planning even on putting up another house with a green roof deck but we might encounter similar issues later on. Did some research and there are some quality materials available here in US suitable for roofdecking but not sure there in PI specially that it rains more over there. So how did you go about this Jack?

Winchester

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
Winchester,

Please forgive me for not getting back to you sooner on your question.  Too many projects and not enough time to devote to all of them.   ;)   ;D

The roof is a somewhat typically Filipino constructed concrete deck.  I can only hope and pray that it doesn\'t leak.   ;D  The house is not for me and Gloria.  It\'s for our family.  My brother in law hired his cousin to be the foreman on the job.  He does some things really well, especially his tile work.  The concrete construction seems to be going well, or as near as I can tell from 8749 miles away.  Ha!  I designed the house and then the barangay \"engineer\" did the blueprints for the construction.  We have included water sealant and paint for the entire house in our budget.  I also had thoughts of putting a layer of paving stone on the roof, both to dress it up a bit as well as adding another layer to prevent water seepage.  Only time will tell.  

Heat would be the big roofing killer, as well as water, lots and lots of water in the rains.  I\'ve never heard of any \"cooling\" in Metro Manila that would be sufficient to cause the concrete to contract as it would in the temperate climate we have in the US.  If concrete is subjected to temperatures below zero and then heat above 100 degrees I could see some expanding and contracting.  But with temps of 100+ in the summer and temps going down to only 75 at night during winter, my personal opinion is that there would not be sufficient contraction of the concrete to cause leaks.  Most leaks of Filipino roofing is caused by poor construction methods, i.e. improper concrete mix proportions.  

I have insisted all along that they do things my way since I\'m the one paying for everything.  My brother in law has assured me that everything is coming along nicely and he\'s very happy with the way the construction is going.  We\'ll see over time how well it\'s built.  

As far as leaking is concerned, I included a roof drainage system in my drawings and have requested several times that they do not shortcut this.  With the heavy rains they get I figured it was the least we should do to assure that water doesn\'t stand on the roof.  I even suggested and was assured that they understood that they use the drain system to recover some of the rain runoff and use that water for washing, etc.  Ronel (my brother in law) said he really liked that idea and would make sure it was incorporated into the building.  We\'ll see.  

I got some pictures in an email but they didn\'t show much except interior views.  Nothing to brag about, yet.   Shots of stairways and piles of hollow block.  ;)  But that was a few weeks ago.  I\'ll wait until I get something worth posting before I post any pics.

Again, I\'m sorry for the delay in posting a response to your questions.  It certainly wasn\'t done intentionally.  Just too little time to do the things I love.  Hope my answers made sense.    

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
We have a large flat concrete roof on the apartment building..I have been warned that a rough finish roof deck will start to get porous over a few years..They tell me that a smooth coat of neat cement will stop the porosity..
Im still not sure the best way to go but thinking along the lines of a plastic or bitumen lining rendered with neat cement and then painted with swimming pool epoxy based paint.. Not sure yet.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
Well our roof may someday be another floor..Its 5\" thick with lots of rebar and no problems with 5 years of Filipino weather but Im still not happy about leaving it as it is.. Might even just have the whole lot tiled..

Offline winchester

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:42 AM »
Hey Jack good to hear from you finally!! ;D I know just how busy a person like you would be so no worries. Good to have you back. I hope your project goes well with your expectations so good luck to that. Roof deck flooring is really hard to deal with I\'m really searching for some good remedies from someone who might have gone through the same issues. I\'m thingking on my next project if the good Lord wills, I plan to put a thick flat sheet all over the flooring, seal all joints and make some sort of a garden design to cover it. It would be like a green roof deck some sort of an experiment. I don\'t know how it would pan out just an idea I\'m figuring out that hopefully might turn out right  :\'(

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
Winchester,

Thanks for being so understanding.   :)  I have some concerns over just how waterproof the roof deck will be.  For that reason alone I\'m insisting that the entire house be sealed, primed and painted, inside and out.  The family agrees with my assessment.  A cousin is our foreman and he does great tile work.  I\'ve been talking with my bro-in-law and suggested that perhaps we might try to put a layer of paving tile/stone on top to add another layer of \"protection\" from the rains.  Everyone seems to think that will definitely add some protection, provided I can get the proper combination of sealant and base mortar. 

Another major reason I want to add paving stones or tile to the roof is that concrete will gradually wear away.  Due to the extreme heat and rain, the concrete will begin to flake off and eventually will cause cracks and thus will leak.  We could continue to add waterproofing sealant every year, but this could easily be \"forgotten\" and then the leaks could soon start making themselves known. 

Our roof decking was completed using the typical plywood form with rebar forming the structural support.  From what I\'ve seen so far, it appears they did an above-average job.  But I still want the roof to be as waterproof as possible.  I don\'t want to be putting more money into their house when I get started on ours.  I\'ll need to remain focused on the construction of our house so that everything comes out the way we want it.  Everyone knows that if you leave it up to them, you\'ll get \"good enough\" from every worker.  Well, it won\'t be good enough for Madame Gloria!   ;D  She\'s a perfectionist and wants her house to be the talk of the barangay.  So do I!   :D

I\'ve received some pics from my sis-in-law, but she\'s a terrible photographer and most of them show nothing distinguishable.  I\'ve written to my niece, a RN, and she promised me that as soon as she gets a day off she\'ll go take better pics.  When I get those I\'ll share with the group. 

One thing I did see that bothered me is that they decided that my design for the veranda was \"old fashioned\", according to my bro-in-law.  \"Oh, kuya Jack, that\'s old style.  Nobody puts iron work around their terrace any more\"   Hmmm...  Well, what will keep someone, anyone, form merely climbing the outer wall and making their way into the house via the second story door or windows?
\"Oh, we\'ll lock those\"   Really?    And where do you plan to sit when it\'s raining?   \"Oh, we\'ll just stay inside.\"  Hmmmm...   That\'s why I designed a covered veranda, so we could still sit outside even if it\'s raining.     ????    ???   ???   ???  Pinoy logic...    :D :D :D :D

It\'s their house and they have to live with it.  Oh!  And another thing they changed, and this one really blew me away, they didn\'t extend the roofing over the second floor veranda, so no shade!  Now I ask you, how many Filipinos have you ever seen sitting in the sun?  They changed the veranda into an exposed area, with no overhanging roof, and shortened the floor by several feet!     Grrrrrrr!!   >:(

Okay, okay Gray Wolf.  Calm down.  It\'s their house.    :P

When we build our house I think I\'ll first construct a small bahay to stay in during the construction so I can watch over everything, day and night.  When the big house is finished the small bahay can be for the maid or it can be my workshop for the many projects I\'ll get involved in.

I hope everyone uses this example, as well as a few others, do make sure you get what you pay for when you start your building projects.  Good luck!   :)  :) 

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »
Not sure if it is avail in the Philippines, but plastic cement is what is used to plaster a base coat on stucco walls... might help as a base layer for your tiles.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »
B-Ray,

It\'s called a \"roof terrace\" and I included roof drains (4) with downspouts (2 in front) or \"free-fall\" style (2 in rear) in my house plans and drawings.  I also told them to make sure the grade runs from a high center so it drains towards all four corners.  But I\'ll have to wait until I have feet on the roof to ascertain whether they did what I requested.

I know for a fact that they did not include any special ingredients to the mix.  We\'ll just have to see what we can come up with for a sealant.  At the very least we\'ll use standard concrete sealer for the base and then perhaps a good quality concrete paint much like the porch paint we use at home.  An option would be to check out the Pioneer Pro \"Water-tite 101\", as you suggested.  Thank you for that!  

Rufus,

I\'ll also have my bro-in-law check to see if plastic cement is available and if his cousin the builder has any experience with it.  

Thanks guys!   :)