Author Topic: For You Electricans  (Read 4439 times)

Offline tennesseevolunteer

• Sr Member
For You Electricans
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »
We are in the blue print stage now on our new home. I want to have a few 110 volts outlets installed in our home. We are planning on shipping most of our household items to the Philippines which will included TV\'s, kitchen items, computers and additional electrical things.
My question is HOW HARD WILL THIS BE??? HOW ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL COST???? I have read we can use transformers but they will cost alot to use full time. When we were in Borcay the hotel gave us these adaptors to use on our 110 items. They seemed to work well but will these work OK and not overload say the 40\" TV?

Also I want a grounded electrical system in our new house to avoid SHOCKS. Most outlets I seen was the old 2 prong outlet. Will the 3 prong outets from USA work there for 110 and 220? I want ground fault outlets every where water is within in 3 meters. Am I asking for too much??

Our new home will be our home for many years. My wife and I agree that it will be alto easier to do now than after the concrete is poured.

Any information on this will be appreciated

Re: For You Electricans
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
We are in the blue print stage now on our new home. I want to have a few 110 volts outlets installed in our home. We are planning on shipping most of our household items to the Philippines which will included TV\'s, kitchen items, computers and additional electrical things.
My question is HOW HARD WILL THIS BE??? HOW ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL COST???? I have read we can use transformers but they will cost alot to use full time. When we were in Borcay the hotel gave us these adaptors to use on our 110 items. They seemed to work well but will these work OK and not overload say the 40\" TV?

Also I want a grounded electrical system in our new house to avoid SHOCKS. Most outlets I seen was the old 2 prong outlet. Will the 3 prong outets from USA work there for 110 and 220? I want ground fault outlets every where water is within in 3 meters. Am I asking for too much??

Our new home will be our home for many years. My wife and I agree that it will be alto easier to do now than after the concrete is poured.

Running 110v supplies within the house should not be a problem, but I would suggest that you look for an alternative style of socket then change the plugs on your US equipment to suit. This will prevent helpers from destroying you equipment by plugging it into the 220v sockets. I am not sure where you would get your 110v supply from, but I have read somewhere that there may be a tap on the incoming 220v supply.

A lot of modern equipment, and this may well include your 40\" TV, will work on both 110v and 220v, just look on the back.

You can buy the three prong sockets here in the Philippines and I am having my whole house wired with earthed sockets. I am even specifying universal types in some locations to be able to use my UK plugs. We are also having ground fault outlets fitted on outside sockets such as in the open arcade area. Also check the location of sockets and light switches in showers and toilets.

You should insist that your wiring is done to your standard and not accept the dangerous situation that is normal here in the Philippines.

Another point to consider, is do you really need to bring all your 110v equipment with you? It could be better/cheaper to sell most of it and buy new here.

Colin

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »
My question is HOW HARD WILL THIS BE??? HOW ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL COST???? I have read we can use transformers but they will cost a lot to use full time. When we were in Becky the hotel gave us these adaptors to use on our 110 items. They seemed to work well but will these work OK and not overload say the 40\" TV?

Also I want a grounded electrical system in our new house to avoid SHOCKS. Most outlets I seen was the old 2 prong outlet. Will the 3 prong outlets from USA work there for 110 and 220? I want ground fault outlets every where water is within in 3 meters. Am I asking for too much??

tennesseevolunteer

while probably being the least knowledgeable person on here I will tell you what I did for my situation was very similar to yours I have 19 BB boxes with appliances, antique rosewood clocks, one by Elgin along with several other 110 appliances that I fried before I asked the group and many responded and helped me out but especially the gentlemen called Art who posts on here a lot.

I got a transformer, but they are so damn heavy and you would need a ton of them to run all the stuff you probably have

i asked for a temporary solution and was given much good advice by lots of guys , but one in particular named Art who posts on here quite †often so you may want to contact him. Transformers to meet any real needs such as a microwave coffee maker and toaster, that is what I am †running on one transformer right now for it only has 3 plugs, but the damn things are so heavy mine is 37 kilos, I know because I had to pay for it when I bought it in Manila and flew back PAL and it cost me 3,200

I spoke with both my architect and electrician for hours before we agreed on where and how many 110 outlets i wanted, and I even showed them about grounded every outlet to avoid shocks, and it each water area where there is electricity, I bought from city hardware a ground fault device with a circuit breaker built in. they installed everything in each room exactly right , but then when it came to the kitchen,they really blew it along the back wall i wanted 6 110 outlets sometimes I use a slow cooker an electric frying pan plus coffee maker , blender, etc, so I wanted extras, well one day when i was checking the area i saw this 6 plugs at ground level in the kitchen area, i guess it was my fault but my kitchen cabinets will be hand carved Nara with granite tops, and come out to about my waist, so the plugs have to be up high enough on the wall or otherwise you would be moving a whole slab of granite cabinets in and out to plug in the appliances.

They all had a good laugh, and replaced them †to the right level, now whether they were laughing at me or with me , who cares as long as the job is done right.
You certainly can buy individual cheap Chinese import transformers † from any vendor in the market, but for me I would not trust them, nice way to burn your house down IMHO.

Good Luck and Happy Building, everyday is an adventure believe me, †I had two transformers I mean the big ones sitting on top of the electric poles blow within seconds of each other about 11 days ago, with the data I lost which somethings is hard to put a value on but I know I lost over 150.000 pesos worth of information.. and I had what was supposed to be an unreachable system that would shut down way before a power surge or complete blackout †like in the blowing of two transformers at once, well I am here to tell you I have been,going through box after box trying to find my old hardrives that I save when I get rid of a computer hoping some of my old pictures of my family life growing up on the water and my personal heroes who are now dead, I just hope I have them on disk somewhere.

Murf

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
tennesseevolunteer

You shouldn\'t waste your time and money buying stuff in the U.S. to just ship and use here in the Philippines unless it\'s cheaper and or of better quality. Anyways, most of the appliances and electronic gadgets sold in the Philippines or anywhere abroad mostly now have built-in automatic voltage regulators 110 to 240v and shouldn\'t be a problem if you plug in any outlet as long as you know it\'s an auto-volt appliance or electronic gadget!
There\'s plenty of good hardware stores in the Philippines to meet your electrical requirements of whatever you want to install in your new home, just plan it wisely because once the wiring is in, it\'ll be hard to rewire once everything has been covered up! Those after thoughts, change of mind and later, alterations can be an expensive proposition if not done right the first time around!

ezArt † †

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
From what I understand when we make the final move to the Philippines we will be able to bring our household items without any tariff taxes. We have to good of bedroom, living and kitchen items not to bring. If we have a huge sale before I know we would have to sale at very discounted price. We would then have to re-buy everything at a huge retail price. We do not want to sleep on foam mattress. I have seen the sofas there and I just do not fit(I am a tall man and like to lay around when possible. For the kitchen items, I believe we have much better quality items that we could buy there without paying much more pesos.

If I have to we can use transformers for the kitchen items but again I have read where the transformers use a lot of electricity. Our frig would be the only item that would be required to run full time. I\'ve been running our freezer off solar power here in the states without a problem(using only one panel and an inverter. I check on the prices for most of these items and I found that most were more expensive and less quality.

Maricel is checking with several electricians to find out if what I want is do able. If it is we will use two different color outlet plates to† tell difference of 220 and 110.

What ever we do I will insist that my concerns be followed to the fullest or we will find someone who can follow my demands.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
I do not hail from the land of Electrica, but I might have some insights for you.
The RP has 2 different forms of 220v delivery systems. 1 is a 3 wire similar to the US and uses separate 110v legs and a neutral. This type is not very common, but if you live in/around a place that has it then wiring your house with such outlets would be very easy and inexpensive.
2nd and probably used in 98%+ of the country is a 2 wire 220v setup that uses a hot and ground system. This setup delivers 220v on one leg and WILL need to be stepped down by way of a transformer. The cost of a large or even several small transformers will offset whatever you will lose by selling off your goods and repurchasing in the RP. Plus there is ALWAYS the OOOPS factor of someone plugging a 110 unit into a 220 outlet, and you can pretty much count on it happening no matter how careful you might be. Then you are buying a new product anyways. Now they do make outlets and plugs with different blade configuration so that could help reduce mistakes, but it will involve cutting off all the plugs and replacing them with the different style and also you need to figure in the cost of every plug you will need to replace...6 of 1, half dozen of the other...
Just some food for thought
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »
Do know you about the jumper wire technique on an electrical wall outlet that becomes a 110v and 220v in one just by jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground where the one socket on the outlet turns to 110v? I have some wall outlets setup that way which exempts using any transformers. Just remember which outlets you converted and or weather it\'s the righthand or lefthand, top or bottom plug that\'s the 110v. Ask your local electrician about it, it\'s old school to them. Works fine for my 110v micro wave oven and old stereo components for 11 years now! I only use a small 250 watt capacity 220v to 110v voltage regular for my old 110v VHS recorder (no longer works after 20 yrs), cordless phone and answering machine upstairs in our bedroom. Eventually when all my 110v stuff craps out, I\'ll just go 220volts all way around with all my wall outlets. Don\'t intend on buying anymore 110v stuff! Anyway, most of the stuff nowadays have built-in†105v-240v voltage regulators, so need to worry about where you plug in!†

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
The RP has 2 different forms of 220v delivery systems. 1 is a 3 wire similar to the US and uses separate 110v legs and a neutral. This type is not very common, but if you live in/around a place that has it then wiring your house with such outlets would be very easy and inexpensive.

What would happen if you were to use only 1 leg of this 110v and send the ground directly to an earthed 6ft rod† ;D

Hmm.. nevermind dont try this at all...

DONT TRY IT!! DONT TRY IT !!! but... just wondering if its possible.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »

What would happen if you were to use only 1 leg of this 110v and send the ground directly to an earthed 6ft rod† ;D

Hmm.. nevermind dont try this at all...

DONT TRY IT!! DONT TRY IT !!! but... just wondering if its possible.

It is not only possible, but it is similar to how the US breaker box is set up.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »
I have decided with the help of all this information to have Maricel do me a big favor. I asked her to do some shopping for prices for our major applances this way I can make the best decision. I know when these things wear out they will be replaced with the 220 items.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
I guess I need to know/understand what you mean by, \"jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground\", to get 110 off of 2 wire 220 service mostly here in the Philippines?

I just can\'t understand when 220 here, just runs one prong in and one out with the way you explained your system.
B-Ray

Do know you about the jumper wire technique on an electrical wall outlet that becomes a 110v and 220v in one just by jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground where the one socket on the outlet turns to 110v? I have some wall outlets setup that way which exempts using any transformers. Just remember which outlets you converted and or weather it\'s the righthand or lefthand, top or bottom plug that\'s the 110v. Ask your local electrician about it, it\'s old school to them. Works fine for my 110v micro wave oven and old stereo components for 11 years now! I only use a small 250 watt capacity 220v to 110v voltage regular for my old 110v VHS recorder (no longer works after 20 yrs), cordless phone and answering machine upstairs in our bedroom. Eventually when all my 110v stuff craps out, I\'ll just go 220volts all way around with all my wall outlets. Don\'t intend on buying anymore 110v stuff! Anyway, most of the stuff nowadays have built-in†105v-240v voltage regulators, so need to worry about where you plug in!†

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »
I guess I need to know/understand what you mean by, \"jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground\", to get 110 off of 2 wire 220 service mostly here in the Philippines?

I just can\'t understand when 220 here, just runs one prong in and one out with the way you explained your system.
B-Ray

I agree. Wiring in the US & here only in select Subic or MM areas had that system. It\'s a 220V transformer up on the pole with a 3rd wire that is a center tap. The center tap is grounded as a neutral wire so each half of the transformer is divided into 2 branches of 110v. Here in the rest of the country, there are only 2 wires off that 220v pole transformer. One is 220V or high side, other is low side or ground. There is no 3rd wire center tap to even use therefore no means of adapting it to 110v unless a separate step down transformer is used. It must also be rated at least 20% higher wattage then you require to avoid eventual over heating thus burn out. Most transformers can not run continuously above 80% load. Hope this helps....God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »

B-Ray

Do know you about the jumper wire technique on an electrical wall outlet that becomes a 110v and 220v in one just by jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground where the one socket on the outlet turns to 110v? I have some wall outlets setup that way which exempts using any transformers. Just remember which outlets you converted and or weather it\'s the righthand or lefthand, top or bottom plug that\'s the 110v. Ask your local electrician about it, it\'s old school to them. Works fine for my 110v micro wave oven and old stereo components for 11 years now! I only use a small 250 watt capacity 220v to 110v voltage regular for my old 110v VHS recorder (no longer works after 20 yrs), cordless phone and answering machine upstairs in our bedroom. Eventually when all my 110v stuff craps out, I\'ll just go 220volts all way around with all my wall outlets. Don\'t intend on buying anymore 110v stuff! Anyway, most of the stuff nowadays have built-in 105v-240v voltage regulators, so need to worry about where you plug in! †
I agree. Wiring in the US & here only in select Subic or MM areas had that system. It\'s a 220V transformer up on the pole with a 3rd wire that is a center tap. The center tap is grounded as a neutral wire so each half of the transformer is divided into 2 branches of 110v. Here in the rest of the country, there are only 2 wires off that 220v pole transformer. One is 220V or high side, other is low side or ground. There is no 3rd wire center tap to even use therefore no means of adapting it to 110v unless a separate step down transformer is used. It must also be rated at least 20% higher wattage then you require to avoid eventual over heating thus burn out. Most transformers can not run continuously above 80% load. Hope this helps....God Bless.....
B-Ray,

It\'s not really my system per say, it was done by my contractor\'s electrician by using a jumper on selected wall outlets I wanted a 110v plug using a 3 or 2 pronged 220v wall outlet. I didn\'t actually see how it was done, but I did notice an added bumper wire to both sockets on the one wall outlet, I suppose was grounded, because without a ground, there will be no 110v. As I mentioned, ask your local electrician to explain how it is done without the use of a transformer. All I know is, that it works and been using it ever since we moved in our recently built home in 2001. We have the up to date modern U.S. standard circuit breaker main panel and wall outlets installed in our home. I too am not an expert when it comes to electrical stuff. I just know enough to get by and know what the NO-NOs are when handling electrical live wire, you don\'t (turn if off on the main circuit breaker panel before doing any electrical wiring on your own)! Been there, done that! 220v gives a nasty jolt, makes your bones, balls ache and hair stand up! Ha ha ha ha! Just kidding! Just slightly! † †

Art †

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »

B-Ray

Do know you about the jumper wire technique on an electrical wall outlet that becomes a 110v and 220v in one just by jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground where the one socket on the outlet turns to 110v? I have some wall outlets setup that way which exempts using any transformers. Just remember which outlets you converted and or weather it\'s the righthand or lefthand, top or bottom plug that\'s the 110v. Ask your local electrician about it, it\'s old school to them. Works fine for my 110v micro wave oven and old stereo components for 11 years now! I only use a small 250 watt capacity 220v to 110v voltage regular for my old 110v VHS recorder (no longer works after 20 yrs), cordless phone and answering machine upstairs in our bedroom. Eventually when all my 110v stuff craps out, I\'ll just go 220volts all way around with all my wall outlets. Don\'t intend on buying anymore 110v stuff! Anyway, most of the stuff nowadays have built-in 105v-240v voltage regulators, so need to worry about where you plug in!†
B-Ray,

It\'s not really my system per say, it was done by my contractor\'s electrician by using a jumper on selected wall outlets I wanted a 110v plug using a 3 or 2 pronged 220v wall outlet. I didn\'t actually see how it was done, but I did notice an added bumper wire to both sockets on the one wall outlet, I suppose was grounded, because without a ground, there will be no 110v. As I mentioned, ask your local electrician to explain how it is done without the use of a transformer. All I know is, that it works and been using it ever since we moved in our recently built home in 2001. We have the up to date modern U.S. standard circuit breaker main panel and wall outlets installed in our home. I too am not an expert when it comes to electrical stuff. I just know enough to get by and know what the NO-NOs are when handling electrical live wire, you don\'t (turn if off on the main circuit breaker panel before doing any electrical wiring on your own)! Been there, done that! 220v gives a nasty jolt, makes your bones, balls ache and hair stand up! Ha ha ha ha! Just kidding! Just slightly!† †

Art†

Art,

You live close to the former US Naval base was, correct? It sounds to me like you have the 3-wire secondary system that was originally installed for the Naval base personnel. Are there 3 wires coming in to your house?

Running 2 different voltage circuits is not for everyone. You pay plenty for your own individual overhead transformer and pole to service your house. Even with different color/shape of outlet plugs, the helpers will still manage to burn up your 120v equipment in a week or less.

To me, what you will spend for this will buy a lot of compatible equipment for your home.

Billy

Retired Journeyman Electric Lineman

(worked on everything from AAA batteries to lightning... ::) )
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »

B-Ray

Do know you about the jumper wire technique on an electrical wall outlet that becomes a 110v and 220v in one just by jumping the wires socket to socket and to ground where the one socket on the outlet turns to 110v? I have some wall outlets setup that way which exempts using any transformers. Just remember which outlets you converted and or weather it\'s the righthand or lefthand, top or bottom plug that\'s the 110v. Ask your local electrician about it, it\'s old school to them. Works fine for my 110v micro wave oven and old stereo components for 11 years now! I only use a small 250 watt capacity 220v to 110v voltage regular for my old 110v VHS recorder (no longer works after 20 yrs), cordless phone and answering machine upstairs in our bedroom. Eventually when all my 110v stuff craps out, I\'ll just go 220volts all way around with all my wall outlets. Don\'t intend on buying anymore 110v stuff! Anyway, most of the stuff nowadays have built-in 105v-240v voltage regulators, so need to worry about where you plug in! †
B-Ray,

It\'s not really my system per say, it was done by my contractor\'s electrician by using a jumper on selected wall outlets I wanted a 110v plug using a 3 or 2 pronged 220v wall outlet. I didn\'t actually see how it was done, but I did notice an added bumper wire to both sockets on the one wall outlet, I suppose was grounded, because without a ground, there will be no 110v. As I mentioned, ask your local electrician to explain how it is done without the use of a transformer. All I know is, that it works and been using it ever since we moved in our recently built home in 2001. We have the up to date modern U.S. standard circuit breaker main panel and wall outlets installed in our home. I too am not an expert when it comes to electrical stuff. I just know enough to get by and know what the NO-NOs are when handling electrical live wire, you don\'t (turn if off on the main circuit breaker panel before doing any electrical wiring on your own)! Been there, done that! 220v gives a nasty jolt, makes your bones, balls ache and hair stand up! Ha ha ha ha! Just kidding! Just slightly! † †

Art †

Art,

You live close to the former US Naval base was, correct? It sounds to me like you have the 3-wire secondary system that was originally installed for the Naval base personnel. Are there 3 wires coming in to your house?

Running 2 different voltage circuits is not for everyone. You pay plenty for your own individual overhead transformer and pole to service your house. Even with different color/shape of outlet plugs, the helpers will still manage to burn up your 120v equipment in a week or less.

To me, what you will spend for this will buy a lot of compatible equipment for your home.

Billy

Retired Journeyman Electric Lineman

(worked on everything from AAA batteries to lightning... ::) )
No, we don\'t live near a military base. We live in a new subdivision just developed in 1995 and completed in 2001 in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. The building materials used by the developers was of U.S. standards and there is a pole with a ground, but some of the wiring going into the house have 2 and 3 wires for a 2 or 3 pronged wall outlet. Just a few of my 220v outlet has the jumper wire to convert one of the socket to provide 110v. All I know is, that it works for my 110v microwave oven and rice cooker for the past 10 years! But I did experience a voltage lost when the ground wire on the pole loosened it\'s crimp at the ground splice connection. Just had to re-crimp the ground splice and my 110v was restored! † †

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog