Author Topic: Custom Boat Builders  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Custom Boat Builders
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:09:28 AM »
Here are some links to custom boat builders in the Philippines.  Please feel free to add to the list for the benefit of all our boating friends.

Jack

http://www.ecochest.com/customboats/index.html

http://www.boatshopmanila.com/aboutus.html
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Custom Boat Builders
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:13:34 AM »
Virtually no Philippine business uses the internet to conduct day to day business except for a few.† Most use it as a basic form of advertising.† These links are offered not as a way to \"order\" a new boat, but to give people an idea of where some of the custom builders are located, and perhaps a selection of the types of boats they build.† Beyond that it is up to each individual to contact the builders in person to see if the boats offered meet with their individual needs.† Let\'s face it, most boat builders in the Philippines are found on the beach working in a small nipa hut hacking out a wooden structure from scratch with no plans except for the ones embedded in their heads.†  ;)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline philippinediver

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »
I am in particular looking to have built a 75\' foot diesel powered pump boat. My first question is, does anyone know a good native pump boat builder and a way to contact them. If not then perhaps a physical place/location where the reputation for quality work and building larger size pump boats are recognized. I want ot build one that I can use to travel around the country including along the pacific ocean side of Mindanao. The boat must be built for safety and comfort geared to housing divers, scuba diving and fishing equipemt and dive compressors.

thanks

Vic

Offline swaussie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
ok,try again,,was sending a pic of my boat,,but it was to big..had it built in nabas,some good carpenters there but next boat I will build will bie on romblon as all my family comes from there and I can keep an eye on the process.maybe we can build together or maybe you would like to lease my other boat with crew,,my father inlaw is skipper and there is four others ,two r cousins to my wife.
sven
like to know everything about life on the islands

Offline mfreeman80

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
After reading what some requests were I have gathered that there are many ways to seek out boat builders, but using internet links is not what I am looking for.† I would have found them already with over 100 hours of research I have done on the internet.†  What I have discovered is the variety of boats being built in fashion or another.† I like others am interested in finding the builder who is on the beach, who is reliable and can build the type of pump boat I\'m looking for.† Of course all builders have their own way, but like me and some of the others are asking \"who and where are the most seaside custom boat builders located\"?† Internet links havent been so good...been there done that.....

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO REALLY GIVE SOME SOLID INPUT.† I have been told Dumagete and Batangas are good places to search......any other suggestions?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:48:02 AM »
After reading what some requests were I have gathered that there are many ways to seek out boat builders, but using internet links is not what I am looking for.† I would have found them already with over 100 hours of research I have done on the internet.† †What I have discovered is the variety of boats being built in fashion or another.† I like others am interested in finding the builder who is on the beach, who is reliable and can build the type of pump boat I\'m looking for.† Of course all builders have their own way, but like me and some of the others are asking \"who and where are the most seaside custom boat builders located\"?† Internet links havent been so good...been there done that.....

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO REALLY GIVE SOME SOLID INPUT.† I have been told Dumagete and Batangas are good places to search......any other suggestions?

mfreeman,

It would help if you tell us all where you are.† It would do little good for us to tell you about a builder in San Vicente, Cagayan if you live in General Santos City, Mindanao - di ba?†† †;)† †;D

The websites are there for those who wish to dream or who want to find a website for a builder, giving his address and contact info.† No one would ever try to order a boat online and expect to pick it up in port, sitting on the water, fully provisioned and ready to sail.† Well, maybe some would.† †::)
 ;D ;D

Most websites in the Philippines aren\'t actively monitored, so very little is done if you try to contact someone that way.† But most list the address of the business, so you know where to go to discuss your boat design.

Let us know where you\'re located and I\'m sure someone will come up with a boat builder close to your area.† It might also help if you told us what kind of pumpboat you\'re dreaming of.† Are you speaking of a small traditional fishing boat about 6-7 meters long or a larger \"tour boat\" maybe 12 meters long?† I\'ve seen as many sizes and styles as one could dream up and then some, if you know what I mean.† Tell us what you\'re thinking of so we steer you on the right course.†  :) :)†  
Louisville, KY USA

Offline markmetz57

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:09:21 AM »
Build your own!  i have built a couple - not that hard - you dont have to be a rocket scientist
just some plywood, fiberglass cloth, resin and you are in business.  Dont need that much wood or glass skill.

Heres a good one you could build   http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=OD16

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
As a former boatuilder/repairer you CAN build your own BUT.....

1. It\'s not a cakewalk
2. Anything over 30\' is a SERIOUS, SERIOUS BUILD
3. Every 10\' of length doubles the price
4. Everything about boat building will cost you twice your original estimate and take you three times the estimated build time UNTIL you build your 3rd boat
5. Build your first boat small... 16-20\'...... it\'s large enough for you to really learn on and small enough to walk away from if you decide that you can\'t finish
6. Don\'t deviate from the plans, you want to change something† - talk to the designer. Almost every change IMPACTS another part of the build.

If you are absolutely single minded and have no other projects, like having a life etc.......Then some of the above can be ignored

If you want the boat built fast, don\'t bother it won\'t happen there\'s a HUGE learning curve if you\'ve never built anything larger than a dolls house
Of you want the boat built cheaper, don\'t bother, unlikely to happen, TIME COSTS MONEY

Now if you want something UNIQUE or you would enjoy the building experience THEN GO FOR IT

Built 3 10\' dinghies, 1 16\' rowing whitehall, 26\' sailboat, 28\' power catamaran
Worked on numerous repair/rebuilds on boats from 25\' to 57\'

Offline schoonerman

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »
The Mariitime Museum in Butuan and associated boatbuilders have recently built three balinguay, traditional philippine sailing boats for the everest sailing expedition to madagsacars, now called the penguins of madagascar. The boats are very similliar to the viking ships that sailed from the norselands to scotland and america, raping and pillaging along the way

my interest in this enterprise stems from wanting a 24ft gill netter with hydraulic net hauler to shoot 10 kms of sole nets to catch slipper soles and turbot in the south visayas as the boats are still very similiar to east coast of england cobbles, and fit the job admirably.

Suggest you make a visit of the yards. I was buying boats in 1969 when no such† thing as internet and all building was a joint effort between the builder and the buyer (fisherman)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog