Author Topic: Money Exchange?  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
Re: Money Exchange?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »
I\'m just trying to get a feel for that first part of the first morning upon arrival, I\'m thinking if we use a cab from the Airport to the hotel (arrival at around 5:30 AM) I don\'t want to be using US Dollars do I? †I do have two P20 bills, one P50 and one P100 bill taped to my Phil Map hanging on the wall, I can take them for that short ride. I figure we will be staying at one of the hotels in or near one of the big malls and I can exchange there for the balance of peso\'s.

But even that little P190 isn\'t enough to pay for a cab from Airport to hotel is it. I haven\'t made the hotel reservations yet, I\'m looking at all your recommendations and also looking for one that offers Airport pickup, I just don\'t want to be waiting at the Airport pickup for too long, or I\'ll just get that cab.

Thanks ezArt for the money changer info, I\'ve read enough here to stay away from the street exchangers (in part do to Dylanaz description and adventures of the past) but a good reminder.

I\'ll have sufficient US cash to use for exchanging, the Bank Cards would be used for paying hotel fees only; wasn\'t even thinking of using them for food, I\'ll use peso\'s for everyday expenses.

I\'ve done the same thing on my many trips to Mexico and Canada,

Your all a great help, keep it up...

Robin
Tigbauan, Iloilo,
Panay Island, Philippines
GPS Location: N 10  40.488  -  E 122  23.235

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »
I use my MasterCard debit card issued by my US bank.† Just hit up the ATM\'s as I go along.

Important.† If you use credit and or debit cards in the RP from your home country, call your bank and let them know you will be in the Philippines.† Otherwise they may suspect fraud and cut off usage.

Also your hotel may be able to help you with changing a small amount.† They also may offer airport shuttle service to pick you up.

Ako si Goyo.†† Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 03:59:43 AM »
Greg just beat me to it with the thought, but each time I have flown to Manila I have arranged for my hotel to collect me from the airport, much easier. Just keep a note of their telephone number, in case they aren\'t on time!

Paul

Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »
Oh GregW... boy oh boy do I know that one... I\'ve been up in the middle of no-where Colorado trying to put gas in my bike and had the card declined... click!!!!! I\'m thinking, you jerk, I knew right off what happened, I just wasn\'t smart enough to call in advance.

I have had two times that crooks got hold of my card info when I was on a trip and off to New York for Las Angeles buying gas and stereos, all kinds of stuff. Fortunately the Bank caught it and contacted me but what a hassle. Have to go to the bank and fill out documents and your cards are cancelled, thats a week or more to get it all figured out.

Another good reminder.

Keep it it boys and girls...
Tigbauan, Iloilo,

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 03:12:19 AM »
I haven\'t made the hotel reservations yet, I\'m looking at all your recommendations and also looking for one that offers Airport pickup, I just don\'t want to be waiting at the Airport pickup for too long, or I\'ll just get that cab.
Robin

Robin,†

I\'ve used three hotels that all offer free pick up and delivery.† The Mabini Mansion, Boulevard Mansion and Best Western La Carona all offer (or at least my trip trip they offered) free pick up and delivery.† When you make your reservations, with whoever you choose, ask if they offer airport pickup.† I think you\'ll find most offer free or discounted pick up service.† Also, when you\'re making those reservations, let your wife do the talking.† You\'ll get a much better rate if a pinay is talking rather than a kano.†  ;)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 05:38:34 AM »
Good idea Gray Wolf, only problem with that is Laura is even \"WHITER\" than I am.... neither one of us are Filipino. We just love what we know about the country.

I know that we will have to barter harder at the markets and stores so we wont be paying too much and I figure that we may pay a bit more than locals for somethings, that will just be part of the life and adventure. I\'ll just have to sing and dance, whine and cry, TOO much... too much; and sometimes just walk away and see whats being offered down the street...

Robin
Tigbauan, Iloilo,

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 06:04:09 AM »
Good idea Gray Wolf, only problem with that is Laura is even \"WHITER\" than I am.... neither one of us are Filipino. We just love what we know about the country.

I know that we will have to barter harder at the markets and stores so we wont be paying too much and I figure that we may pay a bit more than locals for somethings, that will just be part of the life and adventure. I\'ll just have to sing and dance, whine and cry, TOO much... too much; and sometimes just walk away and see whats being offered down the street...

Robin

Ooooops!!† Maybe you could post a bit larger photo of you two for some of us \"old geezers\".† I remember having 20/20 eyesight, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I think.†  ;D

Yep, you\'re gonna have to get really good at bartering...and still paying a bit more for some things.† Drat!†  ;)†  :) :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »
I\'ll just have to sing and dance, whine and cry, TOO much... too much; and sometimes just walk away and see whats being offered down the street...

A few short years ago I was working in New York City. I hopped into a taxi and a few blocks later arrived at my destination. I gave the driver a $20 bill and he insisted on keeping the change!

I was pissed being that I was going to tip him $1 and he wanted about $5 as a tip so I insisted for the whole 5 bucks back.

A few weeks later I arrived in Manila and took a taxi from Cainta to Greenhills mall. The driver said my change is only 35 bucks and asked if he could keep it...

I WAS PISSED !!! in NYC they wanted 5 bucks and now this guy is asking for 35 bucks !

I reluctantly gave it to him and he called me cheap ! (I woulda kept my big bills if I knew he would say that) but as I walked away - I realized I was in Philippines again... and that 35 bucks in peso was less than $1 USD ...

I turned slightly red... lol.. but it was sooo funny...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
^I was like that two...took me a while to adjust to the currency.^ I was being cheap until i found out what those big numbers where actually worth.

I just opened an HSBC account because i remember seeing that bank in PI, but i was disappointed to find out that international with drawl from ATM is a 3 dollar charge. Debit cards don\'t work in stores so i will be linking my new account to my credit card and just use that for bigger purchases...but i hope to not make too many of those† ;) (oh maybe i am cheap)

Ready or not here i come!

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
During my first visit to Manila I tipped a room service boy 30 pesos. At least I thought I did, but unfamiliarity with the coinage meant I only tipped 3 pesos! Unfortunately neither I nor my wife (then gf) could remember his face to rectify it later, but I did tip slightly more than I would† otherwise have done for the remainder of our stay.

I still remember the \"thank you sir\" he managed to dredge out† somehow as he pocketed my unintended mean tip.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Gray Wolf, a bigger picture is a good idea, I donít see as well anymore eitherÖ

Maybe after we are there I can get a nice photo of us on the beach under a coconut tree and post that, or maybe one of us riding a water buffalo in a rice paddy, or Ö
Tigbauan, Iloilo,