Author Topic: Anyone near Lucena?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline ibew_intrinsic

Anyone near Lucena?
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:57 AM »
Hello all!
Wondering if anyone here is near Lucena City, Quezon Province? My wife of one year has family there. We visited on my first trip and met many of them. Am very interested is settling there. I am 50 year old union electrician thinking about retirement. My wife is a nurse about to begin her work career in the states. Sometime in the next 5 to 10 years will be implementing the move. Looking forward to sharing much here.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
Re: Anyone near Lucena?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
Long time with no reply to your post!

I live a couple of hours from Lucena, and go there fairly often to meet friends. They stay in a fairly big subdivision called Calmar. It is a nice area but not so close to the city centre. The city is supposedly on the upturn now, but from what I see there are still some run down parts that could do with a bit of economic revival. Probably many opportunities for a bit of business there, if that is what you are interested in.

Richard

Offline mandaluyong

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
I worked for a long time in Manila but am originally from Lucena City. It\'s quite progressive. There are 2 major malls (SM and Pacific Mall), 1 university, several colleges, a grand terminal for buses, 2 ports and modern hospitals. Products and services are readily available. It used to have an airport but I guess since it\'s not that far from Manila, it closed down. I heard the PNR (Phili. National Railways) will soon be rehabilitated. If that\'s the case, then travel time will be substantially reduced. Although there are parts of the city (outside city limits) where I wouldn\'t advise you to go, overall it\'s a comfortable place to live in (check out the subdivisions). Yet despite all the conveniences, you still get a small-town feel. Can\'t wait to retire there one day. Although housing may cost a bit more when compared to places like those in the Visayas or Mindanao, am sure you\'ll eventauly find one that suits your needs. Goodluck.

Offline tagatubos

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:09:05 AM »
Even this topic is so old..

We live quite near from Lucena, but only on our vacation time.

Last time, when we were at there, I saw quite punch of white guys gathered for a coffee in SM Lucena. Same group in every time, when I passed by to the car.
Anyone from the forum, who spend time at there on daytime?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
Even this topic is so old..

We live quite near from Lucena, but only on our vacation time.

Last time, when we were at there, I saw quite punch of white guys gathered for a coffee in SM Lucena. Same group in every time, when I passed by to the car.
Anyone from the forum, who spend time at there on daytime?

Our friend WildBill lives near there
Louisville, KY USA

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »
Yes,I live about 30 Min's away from Lucena. but I am just wondering around so far. I have Been to the SM there. its kinda small compared to Lipa Sm.Be careful there are quite a few Bars there.if that's your thing.so far I am just been looking around.some of my friends here in San Juan love going there.

Offline tagatubos

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
A long time to being in the forum... really a lot of chats up.
Thanks both of you for your replays.  :)

I do not like to hang out in a bars so often, it is not my thing.. just take a few in a bar and take more, if feels like it, at our house. Maybe I started to get old, because own couch feels better to fall a sleep... only a few steps from the refrigerator !  :P

Anyway..
My wife really want me with her to visit in Philippines on this coming next january and I decided to visit at this forum to look at, whats new is going on and if theres a forumers in the "neighborhood"!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
tagatubos
The last time you were on here was on Nov 9. 2013. So, not too recent. So, you're coming for a visit in January? Where are you coming from if I may ask? I never been near Lucena. Where is that place and what's to do there?  Anyway, enjoy your vacation in January.
Is this the Lucena where you and wife will be vacationing? http://tinyurl.com/nv4v6km
At least you're closer to the ocean than we are.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline tagatubos

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:46 AM »
Yes, it was a long time ago of my last visit, as you said:Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am .
My last visit did not end well and it took a lot of time to even think to travel pack to Philippines! :o

I´m from Finland and there´s nearby from Lucena a small place where we stay...my wife's hometown.
Lucena is "the Biggest" place, where we quite often go to buy something special what we need.
We live like a few steps away from there, just in a sleepy small town. There is not much to do, unless you have a motorbike! Awesome roads, quite quiet to drive almost freely.. And If only have a boat at there.. nice waters, places.

Yes, That is the Lucena and we live near from sea. Love it!  :)
So, you live in inner country?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
So, you live in inner country?
I remember now and read in your previous post that you and your
wife live in Finland and you had to quit work at age 42 due to your health.
Yeah, we sort of live pretty much inland: http://tinyurl.com/q7c4xh7
a pretty much upscale suburban area of which we have lived in our
home going on 16 yrs, a total of 18 yrs now in the Philippines.
Our first 2 yrs here we arrived in 1998, we lived in Olongapo
City, in the province of Southern Zambales both our home town
near SBMA, which used to be the old U.S. Navy base during WWII
and the Vietnam Era, now a Free Trading Zone Port of Olongapo City.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline tagatubos

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
^Yes, You remember right.
I google this your area and it look nice. You have lived at there already a long time!
If and hopely when we make our decision to move to Philippines, our place have to be somewhere else than now.
Last year we stayed in Spain for a while and costs of living are not that cheap anymore... so I turn my thoughts again this possibility to move in to Philippines.. even over our winters.
I do not know, are there near Lucena City, Quezon Province any good and safe places to live, we have to find it out.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog