Author Topic: Baguio, again!  (Read 3770 times)

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
Baguio, again!
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:23:13 PM »
This question/scenario is mainly aimed at the Baguio area, but I guess many other places will have a similar cost of living:

Taking into consideration that rental will not be needed as we own the house and it\'s furnished, all school fees are paid and in general everything is set up and running, would it be possible for one adult and two children (7 & 11) to get by on P1000 per day?

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Baguio, again!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »
About $20/day with 2 westernized children?

Yes it is possible but probably not a good idea.
+/-P30,000 a month is more than the vast majority of the country lives on, but we have no idea as to the habits and wants of your family. Your lifestyle on that amount would be simple by western standards but definitely do-able, but there probably won\'t be much in case something unexpected pops up(i.e. medical).
But if your lil chitlins are not spoiled and you watch what you spend , and with all that other stuff you say is paid already, you could theoretically get by on half your budget...
Just think, a daily wage for filipino is about P200-300/day and they can manage a family of 6+ on that, but they are used to it and you are probably not.
I\'m not going to discourage you, I know I could get by on that...\'Sup to you
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »
This question/scenario is mainly aimed at the Baguio area, but I guess many other places will have a similar cost of living:

Taking into consideration that rental will not be needed as we own the house and it\'s furnished, all school fees are paid and in general everything is set up and running, would it be possible for one adult and two children (7 & 11) to get by on P1000 per day?

Chuwachi,

I\'ll play my usual role on this topic and be the \"wet blanket.\"

Live in the RP on $600/mo?  No - not if any semblance of lower-middle class American lifestyle is wanted.

The average of what I have seen posted have been monthly expenses in the $1,500-$1,800 range, with something in the $2,000-$2,200 range being what I anticipate spending to live in the Cebu City area.

I do not lack empathy or compassion... but the Philippines is not a realistic place to permanently relocate your family unless you have employment that assigns you to the Philippines, or employment that allows you to telecommute from the Philippines, or a steady stream of passive income, or a substantial nest egg, or some other source of steady and secure income.

Without a secure source of income, it is no more realistic to attempt to relocate your family to the Philippines than to Mexico, Bahamas, Thailand or most any other country that allows immigration, but that does not provide a ready source of employment to expats.

Yes, you state that you have housing at no cost... but, cheap housing is one of the things that keeps the cost of living in the RP down.  Many of the other expenses are as much as in the US.

The lowest monthly budgets I\'ve seen posted by those living in the RP are:

$750 a month --- to live in the province with no entertainment, no aircon, no car and minimal everything else.

$630 a month --- $32 a month rent, no aircon, no vehicle, no cable/sat, no entertainment, sporadic family assistance

$814 a month --- $0 for entertainment, $0 miscellaneous expenses, $0 travel out of RP, vehicle fuel/expenses $32, household exp $4, helper expense $10.

Other than rent, which of the following would you be willing, or able, to do without?   

Rent
Electricity
Fuel/expense (vehicles)
Propane (cooking)
Drinking water (bottled)
House water
Broadband/DSL
Cable/Sat
Cell phone
Local phone
Household Misc (bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc)
Personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, etc)
Clothing
Food (groceries only)
Food (eating out)
Entertainment (family outings, birthdays, parties)
Entertainment (leisure travel within the Philippines)
Entertainment (local activities, hobbies, hanging out)
Annual U.S. trip to visit family, etc. (escrow)
Helpers
Insurance (health)
Medical (spend or escrow)
Immigration (13G)
Family assistance
Misc/unplanned expenses

If you really want to move to the RP, then I truly hope you can find a way to make it a reality.  But finding yourself in a 3rd world county with your wife and children, out of funds and some emergency, medical or otherwise, has arisen, should be the last place you should voluntarily place yourself.

I wish you and your family the best whatever you decide to do.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I\'m presently looking at medical insurance so hopefully that would take care of that end of any bills, I\'d pay this as a stand alone item as well as the school fees, and had not factored it into the P1000/day.
I\'d thought that a regular wage of approx P250 must get families by with the basic necessities, and the P1000 I\'d figured on was for food, water, electricity and transport, the day to day stuff if you will.
The rental income we receive from our Isle of Man property equates to P30,000/month, although we\'re way behind with what we\'re charging for our area, so that could increase by maybe 10-15%
Also we plan to rent the top two floors of our Baguio house out (whenever it\'s finished!) so that\'d be a bonus too.
I\'d probably need to return here in Australia to do some contracting work which would bolster our income and complete the building work.
My kid\'s certainly aren\'t lavished with typical western toys and gadgets, and are keen on reading and art etc, so they\'re really not going to be at a loss in that respect. My concern is the education, but in general they\'re both doing well at school and I\'m confident that they\'d fit in without much problem.

Thanks for the input Rufus & Colin, as you say it is do-able but maybe not so easy, that\'s all I wanted to know!

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
Hi Tom,

Hmm, many things to factor in but I guess not everyone is in the same situation. I\'m fairly easy about returning to Oz for contracting work, and we have some emergency funding in the bank.
We own a Pajero in RP and I\'m a Vehicle Mechanic and Welder by trade, so general repairs and maintenance aren\'t a problem in that respect.
Also I\'m a dab hand at Electrical Installation and general DIY work to a good standard, so my own manual skills would reduce the need for paid labour ( I enjoy the hands on stuff and don\'t mind doing it at all)
Helpers: We would not need a yaya as the wife\'s family are close knit and everyone helps out with the general chores, building work and so-on.
Cellphones, well I\'m old school and don\'t use one that often, so bills would be fairly small.
Cable TV, need that for sure!
Local phone, always a bad connection. Broadband, don\'t think they can get it where our place is, have to check, would be nice though.
Annual trip to see relatives: 1 parent in care home in the UK, no others.
Owner of RP property, no rental.
I\'d planned on using the big orange propane bottles to save a little.
Tight arse: Yes I can be!

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
Tight arse: Yes I can be!

Chuwachi,

You have passed the test!!  You possess the primary attribute to live in the RP on $600/mo.

Of course, you have also provided the most important information:

\"I\'m fairly easy about returning to Oz for contracting work, and we have some emergency funding
      in the bank.\"

I don\'t think you will have any problems living on $600/mo + returning to Oz from time to time to earn whatever additional funds you need.  ;D

Stay in touch and let us know how things are going as you \"make the move.\"

Good luck...

Tom in Big D
Keep up with your 
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
Cheers Tom...

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
Tom,
reply #3 was well said.  Also I would imagine the \"start up\" cost of first moving over could easily be 150% of what your monthly cost will be after 5-6 months. . . .

actually, can anyone give an idea of what their start-up cost were?  When/if I move over I would live on $2-3K (assume Baguio to go with this thread, although Cebu is sounding good) so how much above that should one think to bring to have a smooth(ish) transition for a single guy that would need to rent a place? (and probably have to pay Kano prices . . . dang I might need to get a g/f for negotiation purposes! lol)
Jeff

Offline deaclar

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
Hi all,
       Speaking from my own experience,having made a permanent move to Tacloban City in December.
       My partner April and I decided to start from scratch..arriving with only our luggage and several sentimental and personal items
       we have now purchased all of the necessary items for our home...from cutlery to bedding to television to dining table to microwave oven and my pride and joy a large fridge/freezer..also washing machine and even a home theatre sound system (ideal for drowing out noisy roosters and off-key videoke neighbours!! )...we bought top quality and also haggled some great discounts from the retailers..never be afraid to ask....all up we spent just a tad under 230rp or around 6kaud.
        Currently we are renting a two bedroom apartment in a secure gated compound with mountain views and set back from the busy main road...I will post photos when I have time later.
         After initial set up costs we are spending including rent,cable tv,purified water,internet and landline,electricity and food shopping a total of.......20rp per month and that also includes eating out at least twice a week
         Now I know some here will say that Im being conservative but if you need a detailed breakdown I will be happy to supply you with that....let me just say that everyone has different opinions about living costs and the above is what suits April and I and we are living very comfortably on the amont stated....its all up to the individual as to how much is needed to enjoy a good lifestyle here....I hope this has been of help to you.
         One of my favourite philosophies is that life is an experience not an experiment....take and make your opportunities while you can. To use a seafaring terminology...You cant change the direction of the wind but you can trim your sails accordingly.
         All the best with your endeavours mate...enjoy the forum, we are all here to help.
                                                    Dean and April
                                                         Tacloban City Leyte

Offline deaclar

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
Ooooops,
            Reading through my previous post i seem to have left out some zeros....sorry
            Start-up costs..230K rp
             Monthly costs..20K rp
            Sorry for the misstype.....hahaha
             Thought 20rp a month was a little low!!   ;D

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:30 PM »
Hey Dean & April,

Sounds like you\'ve got it made!

I feel pretty confident that our 30k/month would see us through, and I\'d not have a problem keeping my fingers tightly clenched around those purse strings.... I landed a job with a large mining company this week, so hopefully it\'ll lead to another FIFO job which will give us some more backup funds. It\'s looking like we\'ll have to delay moving a little longer, but your post has given me hope that we will be able to manage with what we already have as an income from our rental property, cheers cobber!

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:05:48 AM »
Hi Art,

Love your new \"look.\" 

I\'ve been a little out of touch for a couple of days... now I\'ve gotta do a little reading and catch up.  Sorry if I\'ve missed responding to any of your posts.  :)

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
Ooooops,
            Reading through my previous post i seem to have left out some zeros....sorry
            Start-up costs..230K rp
             Monthly costs..20K rp
            Sorry for the misstype.....hahaha
             Thought 20rp a month was a little low!!   ;D
Dean and/or April,
How long did it take from the time you arrived until you were settled into your new place with (most?) of the new items?  Did you just arrive with the \"stuff in your suitcases\" or were some things set up beforehand or by friends/family?
Thank you very much for sharing information about your moving process.
Jeff

Offline deaclar

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
Hi Southern,
                In answer to your question...and thank you for asking..Arrived here 22nd of December with only clothing and personal items such as laptop,camera,documents and presonal effects(read jewelry and photo albums)..We decided to stay at the Manhattan hotel in Tacloban until Christmas and New Year celebrations were done...which I must say were wonderful.
                January 5th we began looking around for apartments and had the good fortune to find the place we are in now on 7th January....We set about furnishing the house on January 10th and by the 15th we had all the things on our list and quite a few that werent also!!....We bought from several different retailers and got some great discounts after a few days of window shopping and price negotiating.(I even detected a tear in one managers eye after wringing the best possible price from him and then haggled for free delivery!!)...All in all April and I had a great time purchasing the things we wanted and even had snacks prepared for the delivery guys whenever a new item arrived...the smiles on their faces were worth the 100 pesos spent.
                Without over simplyfing...the price of the items we bought here I would have paid double if not more back in Australia and I know for a fact that we wouldnt have received the courtesy and friendliness from the retail staff such as we did here.
                We decided to do all this without the help of family mainly because it is our house and even though the offer to help was appreciated we wanted to share the experience together just the two of us....
                To anyone here on the forum contemplating the \"big move\" my advice is to do your homework..this forum has been invaluable to us and thanks to all for their input...but the final decision is yours to make. All I  know from my point of view is that no-one plans to fail but many fail to plan....so with that in mind, make your plans and grab your opportunities when the time is right for you and Im sure you will enjoy your life in this strange and beautiful part of the world.

All the best to you mate
                                                Dean and April
                                                                   Tacloban City Leyte.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog