Author Topic: Why I want to leave the UK  (Read 8971 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Why I want to leave the UK
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:06:30 PM »
Jon.. I hope you make it back home soon.. Im here with the Mrs and 2 kids and we have never been happier..

I just got off the Skype phone with an old UK mate..He says there is a bit of a fuss in the newspapers over UK Government spies fining the parents of a young boy 1000 Pounds because he sold his pet gold fish to a local pet shop because it seems  he was under age!! lol..
You really couldnt make this stuff up!! It just gets worse and worse..
regards,
Fred.

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
Jon.. I hope you make it back home soon.. Im here with the Mrs and 2 kids and we have never been happier..

I just got off the Skype phone with an old UK mate..He says there is a bit of a fuss in the newspapers over UK Government spies fining the parents of a young boy 1000 Pounds because he sold his pet gold fish to a local pet shop because it seems  he was under age!! lol..
You really couldnt make this stuff up!! It just gets worse and worse..
regards,
Fred.

Here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262250/Great-grandmother-tagged-selling-goldfish.html

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »
Thanks Billy...Oops..Looks like I got the story wrong!!
It was the 66 year old pet shop owner that got fined  1000 Quid for breaking the new animal welfare laws !!
My bad.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 10:53:38 PM »

These comments about football louts puzzles me, I have never come across football or any other sort of lout, but maybe that is because I never watch football, or even spend Saturday night in the Pub.

Colin

Puzzled me too....FOOTBALL wasn\'t mentioned! Projecting your hatred of football  :D?

LOUTS are EVERYWHERE, walk down any high street, call them chavs, spivs, skels, yobs.......seemed like it used to be about the odd 5-10% or less of the population.....now it seems to be about 30-40% and they ain\'t growing old gracefully there 30, 40 and even 50 year olds in what I term LOUTS.
And it\'s not just guys either...it\'s their girls, their kids.......
And it\'s not just Saturday nights at the pub....it\'s midday, early evenings in malls, high streets etc

Maybe you lived in a much smaller town than I\'ve lived in/visited in the last 10 years (Oxford/Portsmouth/Exeter)

Quote from King Herald \'This preoccupation with football, with violence and being \'ard.\' Maybe not a direct reference, but the words football and louts seem to go together.

Colin

Hmmm only because you REPEATEDLY  are putting the two together.....louts don\'t appear in Kings posting .....nor football in mind.......bit of deep seated prejudice showing through?

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

These comments about football louts puzzles me, I have never come across football or any other sort of lout, but maybe that is because I never watch football, or even spend Saturday night in the Pub.

Colin

Puzzled me too....FOOTBALL wasn\'t mentioned! Projecting your hatred of football  :D?

LOUTS are EVERYWHERE, walk down any high street, call them chavs, spivs, skels, yobs.......seemed like it used to be about the odd 5-10% or less of the population.....now it seems to be about 30-40% and they ain\'t growing old gracefully there 30, 40 and even 50 year olds in what I term LOUTS.
And it\'s not just guys either...it\'s their girls, their kids.......
And it\'s not just Saturday nights at the pub....it\'s midday, early evenings in malls, high streets etc

Maybe you lived in a much smaller town than I\'ve lived in/visited in the last 10 years (Oxford/Portsmouth/Exeter)

Quote from King Herald \'This preoccupation with football, with violence and being \'ard.\' Maybe not a direct reference, but the words football and louts seem to go together.

Colin

Hmmm only because you REPEATEDLY  are putting the two together.....louts don\'t appear in Kings posting .....nor football in mind.......bit of deep seated predjudice showing through?

They do go together extremely well, and to read any newspaper during the football season you will see them inexorably linked. The \'football mentality\' doesn\'t refer simply to football, but a whole mindset, the gang/club attitude, the loud shouting and chanting in fake deep voices, the \'hard man\' look, the \'you want agro mate\' attitude, the stiff shoulder as you try to squeeze through a pub or club.

I don\'t even go to pubs any more, as it is so tedious watching the youth of today getting absolutely hammered and blind stupid drunk, girls half dressed and screeching to each other in the street, broken windows where \'hard men\' have put their fist through them. Having to be careful not to catch the wrong persons eye, as so many young people are cocked, ready to prove something, ready to unload their shoulder chip on you. 

I come from a small, one horse town, with but two little night clubs, but the scene is the same across the whole country. And most western countries I\'d guess. The gang culture sliding over from the USA. We now have Proms, prom queens, prom dress, Limos, Hoodies, jeans hanging down round our buttocks, etc etc.

We have an ever increasing culture of yobbism and loserism, where being down and out and useless and on the dole is seen as a cool!

We\'ve have had fifteen years of a government that encouraged the lowest common denominator, made ignorance and poverty a virtue, and despised excellence by deliberately mislabelling it as elitism. The consequences were obvious to everyone except the government and the gullible.

We have a police force/legal system that treats rapist and murderers and yobs as misguided individuals, and seeks to council them, advise them, rather than treat them as violent criminals and punish them!

And now we have the fantasy of MMGW, yet another excuse for the government to charge more tax and control what we do.

I see the UK going nowhere fast in the near future.

Having said that, locked up in my lovely little workshop I actually see very little of all that.

Not until \'people power\' takes to the streets and we are under martial law, anyway. :D ;D :D ;D

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »
I\'m not saying they don\'t go together but HATE it when someone puts words in my mouth (or in others)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 01:58:39 AM »
Several of our nieghbors have helped to convert a garage into a glass patio-doored little \"pub\" in our back garden. We sit out there Saturday nights, rain or snow and watch TV, listten to music and have a drink round a chimenea fireplace. Its almost like being in the Phils, except the fires to keep us warm, not to keep the mossies away. I worked the doors of our top 4 nightspots in my late 20\'s till I was 40. I don\'t suppose there will ever again be the same atmosphere, dancing , having fun etc that we overseen in those days. I don\'t think I\'d ever want to try to deal with the mentality of todays youth when they have been drinking/taking drugs. In the Phils,.. I can re-live those olden days with the locals,.. just sitting around the front door, chatting, laughing ( and boy, can they laugh ), listening to music and watching the kids playing around us all. On top of that, I can wander down to the beach and watch the sun go down over Negros Island . Seems just like taking a step back in time.

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 04:06:35 AM »
Several of our nieghbors have helped to convert a garage into a glass patio-doored little \"pub\" in our back garden. We sit out there Saturday nights, rain or snow and watch TV, listten to music and have a drink round a chimenea fireplace. ...

One of my vague background ideas when I built my workshop was that maybe one day, in the distant future, when I tire of welding and car building, the big front doors could be replaced by a big full height PVC bay window, and we could convert it into a little summer house. The sun comes through the front all day long, and it would be a luvverly little place to sit back, grow old, and watch the grand kids playing in the garden.  8)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
Whats the car in the garage King ?
I used to own an original chassis Ford pop many years ago. Built by a professional, with the V8 engine, jag axle and lowered roof. It was raced at Santa pod before I owned it. I have some pics somewhere that I\'ll hunt out along with some of a very nice V8 trike I had. Being a builder, you\'ll know how much work goes into getting them to look that way.
Seems like there\'s more common interests among the members than just the Philippines !! (have mercy mods, its good to side-track a wee bit now and then )

Also had a nitro Suzuki gs 1275 when I used to have the b@lls to ride it

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
Whats the car in the garage King ?

That\'ll be my little hot rod project.  :D I\'m toying with taking it to the PI with us, but I think I may have inadvertently sold it now, much to my wifes chagrin.

Sounds like you\'ve had a few interesting toys in your time.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:58 AM »
That would raise a few eyebrows, but every policeman would pull you over just to have a look  ;D

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
Could be a problem, to my knowledge V8\'s are not permitted anymore in the RP, but I could be wrong, you did have a V8 motorcycle there so almost anything goes if you can convince customs people.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »
Could be a problem, to my knowledge V8\'s are not permitted anymore in the RP, but I could be wrong, you did have a V8 motorcycle there so almost anything goes if you can convince customs people.

There\'s plenty of V8s in the PI Wayne, mainly in muscle cars. I never did get my V8 bike on the road, but I started the registration process with no setbacks.

http://www.69pace.com/GaragePower.htm

The importation regs say no car over 2.8 litres to be imported, but I shall bring mine in with no motor or transmission, tell them it is a \'home made car, unfinished, no drive train, no windows, no paint\' and see if I can get by without too much coffee money.  ;)

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »
If you can\'t enough power out of a turbocharged 2.8 Four valve V6 you ain\'t trying

Me, I\'ll be content with a 2.0 with a 5:1 rear axle.......more than enough for short straights in the Philippines

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Groovy avatar King H.  ;D

I am sure you can pay a fixer to make your hot rod a 4 cylinder on paper.....jk bad joke.

I have been in PI for 3 months now, first time was one month. And well....all the things i thought where lame back home are still lame(materialism, fake lives, fake people, false sense of security etc etc.) But i sure could use a roll in the snow and a few days of hard work. The heat is getting to me and i am getting bored of island hopping if you can believe that.  ;)

I am getting home sick and its making me second guess things.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog