Author Topic: Electricity / Meralco bills higher than normal !?!  (Read 9903 times)

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: Electricity / Meralco bills higher than normal !?!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
I saved Php400 p/m on my elect bill by expanding on something Wayne did in his shop. I completely turn off my Ref (he turned his down) every night from about 10pm until about 7am.

did you automate this with a timer? That worked for me also, but I cut corners using a custom timer. Turns the ref off at nite... but on for 5 minutes each hour

Dylan,

Nope, just turned the ref off and when we woke up just turned it on. Never stuck to a regular time to do this. Sometimes it is off for over 10hours. Still cold when we open it.

If your ref has an \"automatic defrost\" cycle then maybe when your timer switches the ref on then it\'s possible that it
 goes into defrost each time as it is not running long enough. Therefore you are paying for the cost of the heating
element?? If it was me, I would set the timer to shut off at say 10pm and fire up at about 6 or 7am. As I said in my
previous post my ref is relatively new and has good seals.

Graham   

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »

FREE BEER TO ANYONE WHO LOCATES ON IN THE PHILIPPINES !

and free BUKO JUICE to non beer drinkers !
The new adjustable thermostat switch for our car air-con cost 450 pesos. I assume it is 12 volts max, but I would imagine any household fridge or air-con establishment would sell you a 220 volt version of the same thing. Just wire it into the main power line, the one that you switch the air-con on and off with, and put the sensor by the intake of the air-con, and away you go. S\'easy.  ;)

Send the buko juice to:

Kalbo Matabak na matabak hot rod jesus welderman kano (that\'s how the locals know me)
Timog Park
Angeles City

;D

Hoy KH!!

You\'re trying to steal my thunder. LOL That\'s ok you can have the Buko, I\'ll take the beer, mixed case thanks Dylan  ::)

Graham

Offline cefox01

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
 dylan i bought a cheap ac also for this apartment im renting .6 but it does a decent job.
i keep it running 24/7 and the electric runs about 5k. what i have is a bionare temperture gauge that i keep in the room. it also show humdity i have figured out that the cheap ac thermostat is not very reliable. so i just watch the gauge and adjust as needed. i wish i had bought a remote control ac but it not bad. i adjust maybe 3 or 4 times a day to keep it liveable. it is nice to watch the humidity. at nite sometimes it will get cold so i have to adjust couple of times.
but i have figured out about where i need it set. i like ur idea of having it kick on every thirty mins or so like the central ac\'s do in us. good luck

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »
Cefox01, Dylan, (Boys and Girls, Mums and Dads, Ladies and Germs)

One thing to remember is the placement of the thermostat for the A/C unit. If said thermostat is up high like most people have them set maybe 5ft up in the air in a wall, the unit has too cool the entire room up-to the level of the thermostat, remember heat rises, cold air sinks, so when the entire room is full of cold air, the thermostat will shut the unit off. This is great is you are standing all of the time and you want your head cold....

Fox, if you remember in the US, your central A/C had an external thermostat mounted at chest height, or head height if you were sitting down, so the unit really only tried to cool 2/3rds of the room and let the heat rise up to the intake in the ceiling which recycled the air back into the room as cool air.

Now taking a hint from our Persian friends, if we were to sink a 1000 liter tank under the ground with an air intake and an exhaust on opposite sides of the tank, keep the tank buried say 10 feet underground, with filters on the intake side to keep vermin out of the tank. route the air intake pipe out to a point in the garden at ground level with a vent, and then route the outlet side of the tank into the Air Conditioned room at floor level with a shutter to open and close it. Next place an Exhaust fan with shutters, commonly used in kitchens, but mount it with the shutters on the inside and the fan on the outside so it sucks air from the room and expels it to the outside.

Open the bottom vent, and turn on the exhaust fan. The fan will create a vacuum in the room, assuming the room is somewhat sealed, it will pull outside air from the vent, down the ten feet of pipe, across the cold water in the tank, out the outlet pipe and up into your room at floor level, run this for 10 Min\'s and the temp in the room will drop noticeably. then shut off the fan if you need the room cooler and turn on the A/C.

Your power bills will drop considerably as you are not trying to cool 30 deg C air down to 25 or even 20 if you like the chills.

Now if you can pull apart your expensive wall A/C unit and extract the thermostat section, add some pigtail wires and mount it in a small electrical box at chest height onto the wall about 3 meters from the A/C unit, the unit will run till 2/3rds of the room is cool, then it will shut down to only fan.

By mounting the tank 10 or more feet underground, any heat developed into the water from the outside air will be sucked into the surrounding earth and pulled away. It is the insulating principle of equalisation. If the earth is cooler than the water, it will pull heat from the water through the walls of the tank trying to equalise the temperature in the tank, it will do this forever as the earth is a really big heat sink.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
Previously discussed here

There\'s also PASSIVE cooling by sinking cooling tubes 1-2 meters below ground ....drops ambiant temp around 15-20F

*** You may need to de-humidify the air on re-entry into the house

But no use for apartment/condo owners unfortunately

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
Previously discusse here

There\'s also PASSIVE cooling by sinking cooling tubes 1-2 meters below ground ....drops ambiant temp around 15-20F

*** You may need to de-humidify the air on re-entry into the house

But no use for apartment/condo owners unfortunately

There is a lot of information on this type of cooling to be found on the internet. The big problem with it is the high humidity and the growth of mould in the cooling pipes. Some of the literature I have read suggests a minimum depth of 10 feet.

Colin

Offline cefox01

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
ahh that all makes sense now. I wonder why they mount the ac so high. in the us we have window units but they are usual mounted chest high as you say. some things i dont understand why they do here the way they do.
oh well im learning

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
Good point about the location of the thermostat. As with heating systems in the UK, placement of the main \'stat has been a point of much debate over the years.

So theoretically having the \'stat right where you are going to spend most of your time is the most obvious answer to the air-con \'stat question.

As with most \'window\' sir-con units, our \'stat is above head height. Llike Wayne suggests, the whole of the lower 3/4 of the room has to cool before the air-con clicks off. But, the fan in the unit is always on and always swirling and moving the air, which may be where Dylans plan to switch the fan off too will fall down?

Moving air always feels cooler than still air, so having the fan on will give the illusion the room is cooler.

Moving our bed to where the air-con outlet blew across it meant we could set the temp a bit higher than when the bed was at the un-blown side of the room. Saved a little power, and felt better

Location, Location, Location, as they say in real estate.  ;D

Offline kenburns

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »
Electric bill, they are calculating without coming and doing and actual reading of your meter.  Perhaps the meter reader decided to go and drink tuba that day. Nevertheless, call the power company and tell them to come read your meter again.  Look at the KWH on the bill, and go and read your meter and see if the meter reads lower KWH than what the bill shows.  If the bill shows higher KWH than the meter, then they owe you a credit next month.  Tell them you want your meter read monthly, and not a calculated estimate from the previous month.  It happens all the time in Leyte, and if you get a bill from the local water company you need to keep an eye on it as well. VERY IMPORTANT; MAKE SURE YOUR ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS ARE TIGHT AT THE METER AND AT THE MAIN BREAKER IT FEEDS IN YOUR HOME.  This can also cause a higher bill as well. 

Last month Kwh used 811 price P7700

This month Kwh used 590 price P7800 (INCREASED PRICE BUT LESS USAGE ! - flat rate billing)

I head many Filipinos claiming they had larger bills so I decided to go 1 month with NO AIRCON USE....

200 less Kwh used and the bill only dropped by P100 !!!!

Meralco says they have financial burdens and thats why bills are higher
http://www.meralco.com.ph/Consumer/news/meralco_NW02410.html

I fell sorry for those with unexpected needs at this moment !

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
One full month of using the item I noted in a previous post at ---> http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,4439.msg34910.html#msg34910

And my bill went down from 10k to 7k !!!

Saved 3000 peso by using a device that costs less than 400 pesos !

My bills had been consistent for over 2 years... this is the first time I have seen 7k in 2 years !

Now if I can make that complete shut-off rig.. it will stay lower and AUTOMATICALLY !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog