Author Topic: planning to retire  (Read 1560 times)

Offline hector

planning to retire
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
hello,
i have recently married a young lady from cabadbaran and now she is living with me here in uk.i am 58 years old and am thinking of retiring to her city and building a house there.
can any one give me any advice or help guidelines for this move.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: planning to retire
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:22:01 AM »
Hector
Welcome to the forum...
There is a section in the forum related to building in the Philippines, that would be a great place for you to read up and see some experiences of other expats and you can ask directly on the threads or in PM\'s to other members.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:24:33 AM »
hello,
i have recently married a young lady from cabadbaran and now she is living with me here in uk.i am 58 years old and am thinking of retiring to her city and building a house there.
can any one give me any advice or help guidelines for this move.
Welcome Hector. I\'m moving to the PI next month, with my wife and daughter.

I\'d recommend spending several hours browsing all the various areas in this forum, as there is pretty much all the info you\'ll need already here.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:29:18 AM »
Hi Hector,

I am also from the UK, and planning a move there with my wife when I retire in a few years. I am sure you will get plenty of advice †here, especially if you have specific questions/concerns people can help with. My initial advice would be:

Make sure you know the country well enough to know you will be happy living there, ie can you stand the heat, way of life etc.
Rent a house out there and take your time deciding where you will live. Probably not too close to your wifes family!
Any property you buy/build will have to be in your wifes name, foreigners cannot own property there. Exeption being condos.
If you decide to build a house check out the posts here about building, it is not the same as in the UK. SCARY †;D
Ensure you have not only enough money to live on, but also a good backup to allow for medical needs. No money - no medical treatment in the Philippines!
If you leave the UK permanently you will pay no tax on your income there, under the double taxation relief rules, not sure of the details but worth looking into while still in the UK.
Read old posts in this Forum, you will learn a lot.

Good luck † Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Hi Hector,

I am also from the UK, there are a few of us in this predominantly US forum† ;D I have lived in the Philippines for five years, and made a few (?† ;D) posts in this forum. I have put some posts here about the double taxation that Paul referred to. I am now receiving my private pension tax free, but not the state pension. However, that falls within my tax allowance so I do not pay any UK tax. Take time to read through all the posts, I am sure they will answer most of your questions.

Colin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
I am not from the UK, but an AM.

Building in the Philippines has so many twists and turns and waiting for this and that, I hope you find the information needed on this site to feel comfortable in your quest????

We have built new, bought Government Foreclosers and remodeled them over the last 6 years.

This month, ~~~MAYBE~~~ we will finalize property bought 1.5 years ago, remodeled and rented during that time. Another property my wife mortgaged 8 months ago, (remodeled and rented), we might find where to make and how.............. the payments in the next month or so?????

One property it took 2 years to get title with NOTHING WRONG with the deal!!! A PINOY under the table peso payment situation that didn\'t work? LMAO

Some, (not all), Foreigners have been known to get into property deals where a title is IMPOSSIBLE and in the RP Court System for decades!!!

Trusting a seller attorney, as we learned.......................NO WAY.............PERIOD!!!! Find an Up-De-UP local and use their attorney is my advise!!

Even with this advise given to a foreigner renter of our, \"he\" bought property from HER family and apparently no title can be given..........so far, as told?

1.5 million pesos for what? Maybe in her life time, things will get straighten out................if then????† † †
B-Ray†  

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog