Author Topic: What age is a 5th grader normally?  (Read 5157 times)

What age is a 5th grader normally?
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »
My 8 year old daughter took an entrance exam for her new school, in Angeles, and she apparently did well, 156 out of 160 possible score, so they have said she will start next week in 5th grade. I have no idea how this \'grade\' system works, so can someone explain it to me?

In England we have \'years\', 1st year, when you are 5, 2nd year when you are 6.

My daughter turned 5 about two weeks before the end of the normal school year in England, and the law is you have to start school  the year in which you turn 5, so she is/was the youngest in her class  in England.

How does it work in the PI?

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: What age is a 5th grader normally?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »
Similar to the US system which was the model for post Spanish era RP schools.  The average 5th grade child should be 10 - 11 years old depending on which part of the year their birthdate falls.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:26:52 AM »
My 8 year old daughter took an entrance exam for her new school, in Angeles, and she apparently did well, 156 out of 160 possible score, so they have said she will start next week in 5th grade. I have no idea how this \'grade\' system works, so can someone explain it to me?

In England we have \'years\', 1st year, when you are 5, 2nd year when you are 6.

My daughter turned 5 about two weeks before the end of the normal school year in England, and the law is you have to start school  the year in which you turn 5, so she is/was the youngest in her class  in England.

How does it work in the PI?

My two were in primary education in the UK and we found it hard to find what year they really should be in here.. My daughter is 12 years old(13 in August) and is about to start 1st year high school...My son is 13 and about to start 2nd year..
They should have been doing this LAST YEAR but due to a bad school choice they had to repeat the course.. My daughter has now had to graduate twice!!!
Having said that,the school they now attend does seem to be pretty advanced..
My eldest son that is in a UK UNI cannot believe the stuff they are doing..
The math for instance is GCSE standard he says.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »
Similar to the US system which was the model for post Spanish era RP schools.  The average 5th grade child should be 10 - 11 years old depending on which part of the year their birthdate falls.

Good grief, my daughter is 9 in July,  and she\'s going into 5th grade next week. I really wouldn\'t want her hanging out with 10-11 year olds just yet.  :o

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
King

IMO to me i see it as a good move it means the school feels she has the capabilities and intelligence. She\'ll matured faster.

Andrew
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »
Similar to the US system which was the model for post Spanish era RP schools.  The average 5th grade child should be 10 - 11 years old depending on which part of the year their birthdate falls.

Good grief, my daughter is 9 in July,  and she\'s going into 5th grade next week. I really wouldn\'t want her hanging out with 10-11 year olds just yet.  :o

as I said..My two lost a year because of a terrible school and now with hind sight they were doing stuff far too advanced for their ages..
They seem much happier now and have both produced good grades this year..
(I would recommend  grade 4 for a 9 year old Brit and a good private tutor on the holidays)
My two will never be honour students because of their Filipino subject grades but we dont care as long as they do well with their maths, English and Science..
Although they are a year or two younger then their class mates they hang out with kids their age during break times and have made loads of friends..
What worries us more is the fact that no matter how well they do here the qualifications wont count for much in the U.K.
We are thinking of putting them both into a Brit school perhaps next year in Cavite so at least they can have the opportunity of taking their GCSE`s.. not sure if theres an A level course there yet but if not it looks like its back to the UK till they go to University..
Im not happy about it and cant bare the thought of going back but thats life I suppose..

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »

Good grief, my daughter is 9 in July,  and she\'s going into 5th grade next week. I really wouldn\'t want her hanging out with 10-11 year olds just yet.  :o

as I said..My two lost a year because of a terrible school and now with hind sight they were doing stuff far too advanced for their ages..
They seem much happier now and have both produced good grades this year..
(I would recommend  grade 4 for a 9 year old Brit and a good private tutor on the holidays)
My two will never be honour students because of their Filipino subject grades but we dont care as long as they do well with their maths, English and Science..
Although they are a year or two younger then their class mates they hang out with kids their age during break times and have made loads of friends..
What worries us more is the fact that no matter how well they do here the qualifications wont count for much in the U.K.
We are thinking of putting them both into a Brit school perhaps next year in Cavite so at least they can have the opportunity of taking their GCSE`s.. not sure if theres an A level course there yet but if not it looks like its back to the UK till they go to University..
Im not happy about it and cant bare the thought of going back but thats life I suppose..

That is/was one of my worries about bringing our daughter to the PI: what will become of her later in life.

If she stays in the PI, she\'ll have to fend for herself when the wife and I pass on. But by that time I\'m hoping she will have her own life sorted, and that doesn\'t mean living with some trike driver.  :o Hopefully we will have something to leave her in our estate, unless i spend it all by then.  ;D

Or if we move back to the UK for any reason, she\'ll be thrown back into a dieing culture of chavs and illegals, of a welfare system gone wild, of unemployment and dead end attitudes, of continual lousy depressing weather etc. In fact all the reasons I have twice fled the country to move overseas.

One thing, the school she just enrolled at is purportedly an International School but my wife tells me it seems to be majority Filipino pupils there. At $2k ++ a year it is obviously not your bottom end local school, but I\'m hoping they will have an international \'attitude\' there.

I got a few \'O\' levels when I left school, in \'76, but in the 34 years since that day I have never been asked to show them, by any employer, anywhere. I can\'t envisage us sending her back to the UK, alone, to attend Uni ether. Whether we\'d move back there before that time, or maybe next year, or maybe never move back, is in the hands of the gods.  :D

Offline ilovecdo

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »
A 5th grader normally ages from 10-11 yrs old. :) if you\'re 5 yrs old then you are still in Kindergarten.
Ad Deleted From Signature ~ Admin

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »
A 5th grader normally ages from 10-11 yrs old. :) if you\'re 5 yrs old then you are still in Kindergarten.

Not in the UK. You have to start the school year in which you have your fifth birthday. Hence our daughter, born in July,  started when she was just a couple of months after she was four.

She is settling in at her new school starting to get a grip of the more advanced work, but we have her in an after-school program so she does all her assignments in school under teachers supervision. It is a long school day for a young \'un, 7am until 4:30pm, but it should be all good in the long run, we hope.

Offline Braddo

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
Not sure to be honest I no that I was 15 when I was in grade 5 but maybe that was because we had slow teachers

;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »

Not in the UK. You have to start the school year in which you have your fifth birthday. Hence our daughter, born in July,  started when she was just a couple of months after she was four.

She is settling in at her new school starting to get a grip of the more advanced work, but we have her in an after-school program so she does all her assignments in school under teachers supervision. It is a long school day for a young \'un, 7am until 4:30pm, but it should be all good in the long run, we hope.
King! you worry needlessly, my 9 year old to be (Apr.2nd.2011) does just fine even though she missed 1 year of school because of poverty. She caught up this last year, a little slow in english which is being corrected now primarely because of me and math, (being corrected with a private Tudor, don\'t look at me,ha, ha) SO! don\'t sweat the small stuff, they are very resilient, they have to be!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
My two seem to be doing fine with the advanced lessons here..12 and 13 first and second year high school.. The Mrs wants them to start their GCSE course in the UK in about 18 months  and Im having trouble trying to find a way to talk her out of it..
If they did continue and finish here they would then need to go to local colleges and work hard towards qualifications that seem to be pretty worthless in the UK from what I can see.
I have looked at the fees for the British school in Manila...For the two of them its gonna cost around 20,000 Quid per school year..
Nearly choked on my Coffee!!
They are pretty smart kids and our eldest is at Sheffield university doing Chem engineering.. Its not easy telling them they cant have the same opportunity..

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
My two seem to be doing fine with the advanced lessons here..12 and 13 first and second year high school.. The Mrs wants them to start their GCSE course in the UK in about 18 months  and Im having trouble trying to find a way to talk her out of it..
If they did continue and finish here they would then need to go to local colleges and work hard towards qualifications that seem to be pretty worthless in the UK from what I can see.
I have looked at the fees for the British school in Manila...For the two of them its gonna cost around 20,000 Quid per school year..
Nearly choked on my Coffee!!
They are pretty smart kids and our eldest is at Sheffield university doing Chem engineering.. Its not easy telling them they cant have the same opportunity..

fred,

Why couldn\'t they attend uni in UK if that\'s what they want to do? Cost?

One solution, might be to attend enjoy uni in Philippines then get Masters degree in their discipline.....then a year or two of experience SHOULD  stand them in good stead anywhere in the world

BTW in an earlier post you mentioned the kids had been to a bad school previously.
What was that bad school? Where do they go to now? Answer in a PM would be fine

Hope it\'s not Grace Christian Academy where our adopted daughter is attending

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
King! you worry needlessly, my 9 year old to be (Apr.2nd.2011) does just fine even though she missed 1 year of school because of poverty. She caught up this last year, a little slow in english which is being corrected now primarely because of me and math, (being corrected with a private Tudor, don\'t look at me,ha, ha) SO! don\'t sweat the small stuff, they are very resilient, they have to be!

Yes, she is definitly getting to grips with things now, probably due to the extra tuition. It is all a question of getting up to speed, and I think she is doing okay now. Well, she got a very good report at the end of her last trimester anyway.

A lot more \'gooder\' than I actually expected.  ;D

We take her to school in our car now, so she doesn\'t have to hang around catching the school minibus service. I was never too keen on that to start with, no seatbelts, a driver of unknown quantity and dubious appearance and qualification, pus they drive around for half an hour dropping kids all over Pampanga before she gets home.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog