Author Topic: British/Filipino citizen  (Read 5439 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
British/Filipino citizen
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »
Just had a look see at the UK border agency web site to see if a British person can attain Filipino citizenship without losing his/her British citizenship.. The first paragragh looked promising but Looks as if the answer is a resounding NO!!

If you become a national of another country

You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country. If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship. If you are a British protected person you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship.

If you are becoming a citizen or national of a country that does not allow dual nationality, you may be required by that country to give up your British nationality.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: British/Filipino citizen
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:08 AM »
Actually I believe the RP does respect dual nationals so there should not be a problem.  Best check it out with a reputable attorney first though to be certain. 

I know, I know, reputable attorney, an oxymoron.   :D
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
From reading the first post it seems that the Brits do not allow dual citizenship so yes..its academic..
However,If they did then one advantage would be that I could actually own all this land we seem to have been accumulating..

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26:48 AM »
Colin, we\'re going through this land ownership debate in the Yahoo group right now.  Here are excerpts from a couple of RP Supreme Court Cases;

In the first, land was illegally sold to an alien who eventually naturalized and the court ruled;

The constitutional proscription on alien ownership of lands of the public or private domain was intended to protect lands from falling in the hands of non-Filipinos. In this case, however, there would be no more public policy violated since the land is in the hands of Filipinos qualified to acquire and own such land. \"If land is invalidly transferred to an alien who subsequently becomes a citizen or transfers it to a citizen, the flaw in the original transaction is considered cured and the title of the transferee is rendered valid.\" Thus, the subsequent transfer of the property to qualified Filipinos may no longer be impugned on the basis of invalidity of the initial transfer. The objective of the constitutional provision to keep our lands in Filipino hands has been achieved.

http://elibrary.judiciary.gov.ph/decisions.php?doctype=Decisions%20/%20Signed%20Resolutions&docid=1217401052632770212

Here\'s another one considering land held by a natuarlized citizen;

If the ban on aliens from acquiring not only agricultural but also urban lands, as construed by this Court in the Krivenko case, is to preserve the nation’s lands for future generations of Filipinos, that aim or purpose would not be thwarted but achieved by making lawful the acquisition of real estate by aliens who became Filipino citizens by naturalization.

http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/1998/mar1998/113539.htm#_ednref24

Now that\'s what the Supreme Court had to say so that\'s good enough for me.  After all, why do they call someone a naturalized citizen?
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:57:14 AM »
King Herald ..My lot have both passports /Brit and P.I  too...
Thing is..I dont!!
If we were allowed to have dual citizenship I think I might seriously consider it but lose my Brit status?
No way Jose!!!!!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:59:32 AM »
Now that\'s what the Supreme Court had to say so that\'s good enough for me.  After all, why do they call someone a naturalized citizen?

Yes I was aware of that and its good enough for me too!!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:28:51 AM »
King Herald ..My lot have both passports /Brit and P.I  too...
Thing is..I dont!!
If we were allowed to have dual citizenship I think I might seriously consider it but lose my Brit status?
No way Jose!!!!!

After saying that,why do the Brit government allow ex Filipino citizens (now British) to hold Filipino passports/dual nationality? 
Im gonna do a bit more research I think.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
I seem to recall certain treasonable acts and acts of piracy can result in loss of citizenship

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
Just discovered this information which seems to suggest that although the British and US allow Filipinos to hold two passports/dual citizenship..The Philippines will not allow a foreigner to naturalize without first renouncing his Brit or US citizenship..
A bit unfair I suppose..
Well...Thats that then!!  >:(

How does a foreign national become a Filipino citizen? Three ways, according to ManilaTimes.net:

The courts. Administrative proceedings apply to native-born persons of foreign parents; judicial proceedings are for foreigners who immigrated to the Philippines and have married a Filipino.

The Office of the Solicitor General. The OSG has the authority to review petitions for naturalization, and to approve or disapprove them. A unanimous vote on either action is required.The processing fee is P40,000. The petition also declares that the applicant shall not be a public charge, that he is serious about getting Filipino citizenship and shall renounce loyalty to the country he was a former subject of.

2. Can my foreign spouse become a Filipino citizen without losing his/her foreign citizenship?

No, the law does not apply to the foreign spouse. He/she has the following option if he/she wishes to reside permanently in the Philippines: (a) apply for naturalization; (b) apply for a permanent resident visa.
An act of Congress. Immigrants who have made significant contributions to Philippine society may also be sponsored by a congressman or senator for naturalization.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=80

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
Another ridiculous requirement!!

2. The foreigner must have resided in the Philippines for a minimum of 10 years (reduced to 5 years if his spouse is a Filipino). During this time, the person must have remained in the Philippines. In other words, if you live here for 4 years, and go abroad for a week, then return, the clock starts over again, and you must wait again for a continuous stay of 5 years before applying (or a continuous stay of 10 years if you are not married to a Filipino).
3. The foreigner must be able to read, write and speak one of the Philippine languages

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »

2. The foreigner must have resided in the Philippines for a minimum of 10 years (reduced to 5 years if his spouse is a Filipino). During this time, the person must have remained in the Philippines. In other words, if you live here for 4 years, and go abroad for a week, then return, the clock starts over again, and you must wait again for a continuous stay of 5 years before applying (or a continuous stay of 10 years if you are not married to a Filipino).
3. The foreigner must be able to read, write and speak one of the Philippine languages

Question:

How can one legally stay for 5 years to fulfill this \"requirement\" if one is only allowed to stay up to two years per stay??

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

Question:

How can one legally stay for 5 years to fulfill this \"requirement\" if one is only allowed to stay up to two years per stay??

2 years is the limit on a TOURIST VISA

The Special Resident Retiree\'s Visa (SRRV) entitles the holder to [strike]multiple-entry privileges**[/strike] with the right to permanent residence in the Philippines.
** multiple entry not relevent

You can seek permanent residency if married to filipina

There are other visa options too......but these are the main ones

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
Now this requirement (highlighted in BOLD) definitely makes us becoming a R.P citizen impossible!!! This was straight from the Bureau of immigration website.
You really couldn\'t make it up!!!

Who may qualify as Philippine citizen by naturalization under the Revised Naturalization Act?

Under Section 2 of the Revised Naturalization Law the applicant must possess the following qualifications:

* He must not be less than twenty-one years of age on the day of the hearing of the petition;
    * He must have resided in the Philippines for a continuous period of not less than ten years;
    * He must be of  good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living;
    * He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation; ;)
    * He must be able to speak or write English or Spanish or anyone of the principal languages;
    * He must have enrolled his minor children of school age in any of the public or private schools recognized by the Bureau of Public Schools of the Philippines where Philippine history, government and civics are taught  or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the hearing of the petition  for naturalization as Philippine citizen;

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »
Now this requirement (highlighted in BOLD) definitely makes us becoming a R.P citizen impossible!!! This was straight from the Bureau of immigration website.

Who may qualify as Philippine citizen by naturalization under the Revised Naturalization Act?

Under Section 2 of the Revised Naturalization Law the applicant must possess the following qualifications:

* He must not be less than twenty-one years of age on the day of the hearing of the petition;
    * He must have resided in the Philippines for a continuous period of not less than ten years;
    * He must be of  good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living;
    * He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation; ;)
    * He must be able to speak or write English or Spanish or anyone of the principal languages;
    * He must have enrolled his minor children of school age in any of the public or private schools recognized by the Bureau of Public Schools of the Philippines where Philippine history, government and civics are taught  or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the hearing of the petition  for naturalization as Philippine citizen;

That is definitely a defiance of logic. To qualify, you must break a major law of constitutional proportion. I did however, catch something else that has been debated on these forums. That is the language requirement. Everyone here has stated that you are required to fluently know at least 1 native dialect (Tagalog counts). This law from BI does not say that. It says, \"He must be able to speak or write English or Spanish or anyone of the principal languages\"It says OR. So according to this, English alone should satisfy the requirement. Any responses (decent & clean of course) are welcomed. God Bless.....

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »

* He must be of  good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living;
    * He must have enrolled his minor children of school age in any of the public or private schools recognized by the Bureau of Public Schools of the Philippines where Philippine history, government and civics are taught  or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the hearing of the petition  for naturalization as Philippine citizen;

So if I live in the Philippines for ten years (illegally!) and I have done all else as listed, do I qualify?

Or does the fact I lived here illegally for 10 years in order to qualify for the 10 year rule, disqualify me?!!  ???

It kind of reminds me of the \"required\" premarital class they have here when the teacher told all of us that \"a baby has the right to an honest and efficient government\". That was straight from her government approved marriage handbook! I had to bight my lip HARD on that one!  ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog