Author Topic: British/Filipino citizen  (Read 6790 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: British/Filipino citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
That is definitely a defiance of logic. To qualify, you must break a major law of constitutional proportion. I did however, catch something else that has been debated on these forums. That is the language requirement. Everyone here has stated that you are required to fluently know at least 1 native dialect (Tagalog counts). This law from BI does not say that. It says, \"He must be able to speak or write English or Spanish or anyone of the principal languages\"It says OR. So according to this, English alone should satisfy the requirement. Any responses (decent & clean of course) are welcomed. God Bless.....

So if I live in the Philippines for ten years (illegally!) and I have done all else as listed, do I qualify?

If you are not married to a Filipino then yes that would be an issue!! No idea how you could live here that long legally unless you have something like an SRRV visa or 13a Quota visa?
That aside..Even for those of us married with 13a`s it would be next to impossible considering the requirement of ownership of at least 5k of land/real estate when that is a constitutional impossibility!!..
(not to mention our renunciation of our former nationalities which most of us would never consider!!)
Ask most Filipino`s and they would have no clue of these laws..Indeed most of them would have no protest about us foreigners becoming dual citizens..
I say most!!
The minority represent the large Spanish and Chinese families that run companies like (for example)Ayala and SM..
The elite families that still to a large extent run/own this country and have no interest in allowing us outsiders to infiltrate or become legal citizens here or to hold any rights ranked above \"tourist\",\"resident\"..
Thats just the way it is..

Offline quadwilly

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
LOL.... actually the Yahoo group is wearing out the \"Land ownership\" topic!
Even as ignorance as I am about the topic, I got the picture in the first 50 posts!  :D

It kind of reminded me of the 10 state workers you see standing around a man hole cover... one is in the hole and the other 9 are standing around having the debate as to how the ONE man should proceed.  ;D

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
\"He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation; \"
   Isn\'t being retired a \"lawful occupation\"?  :)
Mike from San Antonio

Offline quadwilly

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:29:51 AM »
\"He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation; \"
   Isn\'t being retired a \"lawful occupation\"?  :)

I would say \"retired\" and \"disabled\" should qualify! All-N-ALL it looks as if no one wants you to find a loop hole in actually owning property there... so they have made many areas that you would have to find loop holes for. I don\'t think I would hold my breath on owning and keeping real estate there ... unless it is in the spouses name! Better keep mama happy boys!  ;)

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
It kind of reminded me of the 10 state workers you see standing around a man hole cover... one is in the hole and the other 9 are standing around having the debate as to how the ONE man should proceed.  ;D

I had a neighbor that was a supervisor for CalTrans. It was obvious as he drove an orange truck with Caltrans insignias on the doors home each day.

Thankfully he had a very good sense of humor. I once asked him, \"so...Roy, are you the guy who is in the hole in the street digging, the guy who is watching the guy dig the hole, the other guy leaning on the broom watching the guy digging the hole, the flagman directing traffic watching the guy digging the hole, or are you the guy in the air-conditioned truck reading the newspaper with the engine running?\" He matter of factly replied back....\"close, but I\'m actually the guy sitting in the air-conditioned truck with the engine running eating donuts and drinking coffee watching the guy leaning on the broom who is watching the flagman and the guy digging the hole, and I\'ve earned my job by working my way up for 15 years watching, digging, and sweeping! I\'ve earned it!\"  ;D

Offline quadwilly

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
I think I saw the same Crew!  ;D

That fella sounds like a real trooper (being able to take a joke) and I bet he did earn it!

I have to admit, if I had a choice, I want HIS job!  ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
I seem to recall certain treasonable acts and acts of piracy can result in loss of citizenship
You can still legally be hanged in England for \'treason in her majestys dockyard\', but it don\'t happen very happen.  :D

JUst saw on QI that there are NO capital crimes left on the books...ALL** were wiped out when Jack Straw signed them off in 1998 to comply with the EU declaration of Human Rights

**Specifically treason and piracy mentioned

Arson in her majesties shipyards were made non capital crimes in 1971

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog