Author Topic: Solar energy for electricity  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Friscomama

Solar energy for electricity
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
Hello again,

Does anybody know if solar energy - ones that\'s specifically for electricity is common in RP?† Has anybody had any experience in installing them?† If so, how did it hold up during a typhoon?

I\'m thinking this would be an alternative energy for electricity and it\'s green.† Here in the USA, it\'s a growing industry and I have installed some for my home and it has helped us tremendously on saving energy and helping the environment as well.

Any advice and referral to a reputable company that you\'d had experienced with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Friscomama

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Solar energy for electricity
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
This topic has been discussed a couple times.
Do a search for solar and check out those threads, you should find some interesting things
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
Hello again,

Does anybody know if solar energy - ones that\'s specifically for electricity is common in RP?† Has anybody had any experience in installing them?† If so, how did it hold up during a typhoon?

I\'m thinking this would be an alternative energy for electricity and it\'s green.† Here in the USA, it\'s a growing industry and I have installed some for my home and it has helped us tremendously on saving energy and helping the environment as well.

Any advice and referral to a reputable company that you\'d had experienced with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Friscomama

It is in the Philippines, but not very common. The top layer of glass over the solar cells is tempered and extremely strong. A direct impact from hard debris in typhoon winds could shatter the glass though. I would be more concerned about how each panel is fastened to the roof though. There are a few companies in the Philippines that sell and install solar panels along with wind turbine generators. I talked to a very knowledgeable one in Bacolod and they also have a location in Metro Manila. At that time (2 years ago) almost all of the solar panels they sold along with very good quality deep cycle batteries came from the U.S. Cheaper, but of dubious quality, Chinese made solar panels are what I see mostly here, the problem here is that they do not last and very often the warranty stated at the time of purchase is worthless.

There are too many sources of quality U.S. made solar panels that could easily be crated and shipped to the Philippines. That is the direction I would go as solar panels are not initially cost effective at the start, but become that way after years of little or no electricity bills. A cheap panel that dies early does not make any sense as you will NOT realize any cost savings benefit on your electric bill compared to the life and cost of said cheap panel.

Research the other threads here on solar panels. There is a wealth of information. If you would like even more info PM me.

Offline Friscomama

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »
Maraming salamat po Knowdafish.† I will definitely search the forum.† :)

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
For those that may be interested:

A source for (hard to come by!!) Deep Cycle Batteries in the Philippines:

http://www.motolite.com/battery.php?id=16