Author Topic: Nursing  (Read 11300 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Nursing
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
Hi Graham,

Yes we\'re seeing somewhat similar things here in Bohol

• A niece we are sponsoring (and living with us) at Holy Name University\'s nursing school, now in her 3rd year, just had to do a mandatory summer school (ALL STUDENTS) - Only additional P12,000 but writing is on the wall - Gerelle was hoping to work during last summer break - so negative cash flow there too
  • We are trying to help 3 of Glo\'s friends, graduated nursing degree two years ago get employment both within Philippines and overseas.
    One has been fortunate to get 3 - 6 month contracts. Jennifer just finished her EILTS with our help and looking at the next step.
    One has only been able to get carers jobs in Philippines
    The other has recieved no work
    SO how do they get experience for overseas work?

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »

They have an arrangement with a hospital in Manila, where they do this, a boarding house/dormitory has been rented for the time, and it\'s just a measly Php70K that I have to fork out so she can attend. What a blinking rip-off!!

Graham

P70,000† :o

You should point out to them that you only want to pay the costs for Janet, not the whole school.

But I think that would go straight over their heads.† ;D

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
Hi Graham,

Yes we\'re seeing somewhat similar things here in Bohol

• A niece we are sponsoring (and living with us) at Holy Name University\'s nursing school, now in her 3rd year, just had to do a mandatory summer school (ALL STUDENTS) - Only additional P12,000 but writing is on the wall - Gerelle was hoping to work during last summer break - so negative cash flow there too
  • We are trying to help 3 of Glo\'s friends, graduated nursing degree two years ago get employment both within Philippines and overseas.
    One has been fortunate to get 3 - 6 month contracts. Jennifer just finished her EILTS with our help and looking at the next step.
    One has only been able to get carers jobs in Philippines
    The other has recieved no work
    SO how do the get experience for overseas work?

From what I saw in the UK, very few Filipino nurses actually seem to go in and start straight on nurses jobs. It appears the norm that they do a year as a \'carer\' to prove their worth before anybody will employ them as a \'real\' nurse. Several of my wifes friends have gone down this route.

There are, apparently, regular seminars in Manila where agents from the UK recruit nurses, all above board and kosher, but I have no details of these a present.

There appears to be no shortage of work for carers in the UK, though it is normally a minimum salary job. £5.50 - 375 pesos an hour.

But working for an agency pays about 50% higher, but erratic hours and the need for your own transport can make that unsuitable for many.

One good thing is that until you earn over the equivalent of about 400,000 pesos a year, you don\'t pay income tax.† ;D

Offline Pocahontas

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
What is even funnier is that this girl is Philippines college educated with some form of medical training.

† †I\'m not so sure but maybe she was not medically trained at all. †:)
For a woman who has so much to say, silence is deafening!!!

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
They are going to 5 years so as to have them be able to pass the U.S. nursing boards exam to become \"Registered Nurses\" so the hospitals in the U.S. can fill the RN nursing shortages that have existed in the U.S. for years.† Many come from the RP to the U.S. to be nurses... but the U.S. doesn\'t need more LVN or practical nurses... it needs RNs.

So, the Philippines nursing training system is changing their training specifically so the nurses they train can leave the PI to go to America??

As to why not pay more and keep better trained nurses in the RP... that same question applies to every skilled OFW... and I too wish the RP could find a way to solve it.† But for now... more affluent countries will continue to obtain less expensive skilled and unskilled labor from poorer countries... and thus the skill sets that are in demand in the more affluent countries will dictate to some extent what training is provided in poorer countries to those wishing to immigrate to the U.S. and elsewhere.

Solve this problem for the RP... and you will likely be the next \"King of the Philippines.\" ;D
Easy way to solve that problem Tom: don\'t change the training to US entry standards, keep it PI specific.

But I guess, all in all, foreign income is more important than looking after their own.† :-X

I would imagine that the remittance sent home every month by 8million +++ OFW\'s is the only thing that keeps the PI afloat. Every Filipino family I know has at least one member working overseas. It seems to be an easier cure-all for the Philippines financial woes than trying to repair what is wrong with the system.

I wonder if Noynoy will make any promises about \'bringing our OFW\'s home\', like several of his predecessors did.
NOPE King, never will happen! Fil mentality, sorry!

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

Shortages of nurses......shortages of jobs for nurses more like it

Not in any major city in the U.S. -- every major hospital is seeking \"qualified\" RNs... and medical care is about the only part of the US economy that is growing... with new hospitals rising from the ground like banks were doing 5 years ago.

Tom in Big D
You are absolutely right Tom, even here in the NW USA Hospitals and Private Institutions are BEGGING for qualified Nurses. They start them at unheard of wages, just check the internet!

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
It\'s a strategy so the Philippine nurses can get jobs easily abroad. More chances of employers from countries other than the US will come to the Philippines to recruit nurses. Let\'s admit, US has the best in terms of these fields and medicines though expensive but still the best. And remember, labor export is the number 1 product of the Philippines.

Got an arab colleague who loves to bash US but when his father got ill, he prefers his father to get treatment only in the US. Or get a US based doctor to fly to Dubai.
AMEN! still the best educated!

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
Sorry guys, not that it really amounts to a hill of beans, but you\'re just incorrect on this issue. †If you are a qualified RN, there are jobs available in virtually every metropolitan area of the U.S. †I don\'t really understand why there is a dispute over something this silly.

Tom in Big D

...Now the US may NEED more nurses BUT they ain\'t hiring them like they used too...

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
I don\'t know why you US based guys think(sic) you know more than people in Philippines do
You are talking about your limited perceptions (from the US point of view) - similar views exist in UK and other places

But the fact is there are not enough nursing jobs in the Philippines and as a result there aren\'t enough experienced nurses for the jobs overseas
NO-ONE is hiring inexperienced nurses

\"The Philippine Nurses Association (PNA) earlier estimated at 200,000 the jobless nurses in the country. \"A total of 37,679 new practitioners passed the local licensure exam in July. They are now competing for jobs with some 160,000 unemployed nurses,\" PNA said.\"

Here\'s some FACTS

Filipino Nurses Taking U.S. Exam Drop By a Third
http://newamericamedia.org/2010/07/filipino-nurses-taking-us-exam-drop-by-a-third.php

Filipino nurses seeking US jobs continue to decline
http://www.zamboangatoday.ph/index.php/news/13-top-stories/1260-filipino-nurses-seeking-us-jobs-continue-to-decline

It was the same story in 2009 also

No-one is gonna take the exam if they don\'t have experience/job, can\'t afford to pay for one.

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
It\'s a strategy so the Philippine nurses can get jobs easily abroad. More chances of employers from countries other than the US will come to the Philippines to recruit nurses. Let\'s admit, US has the best in terms of these fields and medicines though expensive but still the best. And remember, labor export is the number 1 product of the Philippines.

Got an arab colleague who loves to bash US but when his father got ill, he prefers his father to get treatment only in the US. Or get a US based doctor to fly to Dubai.

That\'s a bit jingoistic for someone interested in a different culture and race

NB - worst educated too according to medical malpractice numbers† :-\\

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »

I wonder if Noynoy will make any promises about \'bringing our OFW\'s home\', like several of his predecessors did.
NOPE King, never will happen! Fil mentality, sorry!
What, making the promises, or actually bringing them home.† ;D :D

Who the American staff or the Filipino ones?

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog