Author Topic: New English Language Requirement for Partners  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Terpe

• Sr Member
New English Language Requirement for Partners
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:33:18 PM »
From 29 November 2010 any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled in UK will need to show that they can speak and understand English.

If you are not a national of a majority speaking country you will need to pass an acceptable English language test with an approved test provider.
In the test you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at a basic level which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours tuition for most learners.
Reading and writing skills will not need to be demonstrated.

This requirement will need to met when someone wants to apply to enter or remain in the UK as spouse, civil partner, fiance(e) proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same sex partner.
The Philippines is not considered a majority English speaking country.

You need to pay for your own English language test. The cost will vary according to the test provider and country.

I have no idea how important this change will be for any members on this board, but I think it’s always a good idea to be aware of changes on immigration policy.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: New English Language Requirement for Partners
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:56:22 PM »
I think this would not be a problem...
If your intended can\'t speak English, why would someone from an English speaking country marry her in the first place??? There would be ZERO communication!
That requirement is ludicrous.
I guess some jabroni\'s will just go for any port in the storm  :o :o :o
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:47:49 AM »
From 29 November 2010 any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled in UK will need to show that they can speak and understand English.
This requirement will need to met when someone wants to apply to enter or remain in the UK as spouse, civil partner, fiance(e) proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same sex partner.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuush --- If this idea gets out, Arizona will have passed it into law by sundown (and then CA, NM, TX, etc.)

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:33:05 AM »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuush --- If this idea gets out, Arizona will have passed it into law by sundown (and then CA, NM, TX, etc.)

Tom in Big D

Tom

Texas could not pass such a law since 99 % of the population dosen\'t speak  English anyway.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline mikez

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
Australia is much worse, they require most migrants now to pass the IELTS test for which there is a waiting list of 3 months....has a validity of 6 months  (actually I lie, they increased it 12 months now)... are they thinking that people will forget how to speak English within 12 months of having taken the test??

Like the average American ... the average Australian would have difficulty obtaining a passing score..... my apologies to 99% of forum members I have just offended....

I love Australia btw just not so much the Department of Immigration & Citizenship......

Now the Dutch government... they are just as bad...they expect all migrants to learn how to speak Dutch... I really think English should become the 2nd official language in all European Union countries ... why force people to speak a language which is spoken by less then 15 million people... useless...

I have to complement the RP for making English an official language and the The Bureau of Immigration for making the 13A requirements so easy.... file the application (1 form, some photocopies, and pay some money), rock-up to the interview, come back a while later collect the stamp, give a zillion finger prints, and pay some money.. Finished!!!

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
If your intended can\'t speak English, why would someone from an English speaking country marry her in the first place??? There would be ZERO communication!
Hey Rufus, ZERO communication sounds like me and the wife! Anyway, hands on basic instinct can often overcome any verbal barriers ;) ;D

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »

Tom in Big D

Tom

Texas could not pass such a law since 99 % of the population dosen\'t speak  English anyway.

Chuck

LOL --- Tell me sumpin I doe no. 
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
Hey Rufus, ZERO communication sounds like me and the wife! Anyway, hands on basic instinct can often overcome any verbal barriers ;) ;D
Until it becomes \"hands on frying pans\" instinct...lol
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog