Author Topic: FREE Schools/College in the Philippines  (Read 5824 times)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
FREE Schools/College in the Philippines
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:07 AM »
Does anyone know of a free college-level school in the Philippines offering at least an Associates degree?

also forgive the short post. Internet is in the crapper today. 20 seconds just to load the icons above this message - heh I must have Colins and other members bandwidth for awhile...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: FREE Schools/College in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 06:26:04 AM »
I have never heard of FREE college  ???
Sign me up!
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
Nice... thanks for the feedback everyone... (more is welcome)

I just remembered in the USA there is a program college students can enter if they do not have money to pay for college.

It is called \"College work-study\" and I was in such a program in 1989. I had to work jobs such as:

1. Assistant librarian (checking in returned student books)
2. AV stoolie (Pushing TV/VCR\'s from 1 classroom to the next for presentations)
3. Recreation facilities assistant (basically turning on lights before games and off when games were over)

These were very easy jobs and without then I would not have been able to even start my education after high school.

I just ran this idea across a University in the Philippines and they were all over it. In the past they had been giving a handful of students 100% FREE TUITION thanks to donations from people like the v. Mayor Colin mentioned...

But with this \'work-study\' they hinted that there is a potential to reshape the entire education system in the Philippines with THOUSANDS of students now able to attend free with a simple easy-work-exchange!

The president has already mentioned boosting education - and this is a way it can be done with MINIMAL out of pocket costs !

So now we need to find jobs \'on-campus\' that will not only give students on the job training but also allow them to learn at the same time !

Win - Win situation....

I am just surprised they have never heard of \'college work study\' before...  ;D

Then again Rufus just pointed out that drunk driving will only now just become a crime in the year 2010 .... so maybe there are many things us \'westerners\' take for granted that can actually make a positive change in this country . . .

Lets see if I can convince them to open a Metro-Manila branch.... I really do not want to relocate despite the free land they have been throwing at me...

*crosses fingers*

PS:
This is not a job for me - I just offer free ideas when I have them in exchange for a day or 2 break from playing scrabble  :D

NEXT QUESTION:

What should such a program be called? In USA it is \"COLLEGE WORK-STUDY\"

Should the name be localized to \"Trabaho at pag-Aaral\"

Just doesnt sound right... maybe Taglish... or an acronym... T.P.A. etc... (taking for granted I did not completely hack the language in my translation lol)
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline dantoots

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
This Work=Stuidy program is not new to the Philippines at all.  I attended Southwestern University in Cebu on the GI Bill in the late 90s up to 2000, MBA program (Retired Navy).  I met several students who were working for the University parttime in exchange foir their tuition.  Actually one of my Professors told me he was a working-student in the 60s as was his two daughters later on.
  These students would do tasks such as, work in various offices on campus, clean class rooms, cut grass, etc.  I\'m kind of surprised that the people you talked to at UP were not aware of this.  My wife, who graduated from CIT in Cebu said the same program was in place there.  She said the Work-Study program was designed for needy students and they had to keep their grades up to a certain level.
  Sorry to high-jack your post but just filling you in to what I know.

Regards, Danny

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
the Work-Study program was designed for needy students and they had to keep their grades up to a certain level.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, even LaSalle staff was not aware of a work-study type of program.

I wonder if that is simply to keep \'undesirables\' out of their campus  :P

I will contact SOuthWestern in Cebu to find out more about how their work-study program works...

One thing i have noticed is nothing seems to be centralized as we are used to in the western world. There is a chance that select schools made their own work-study program and it was not introduced nationwide...

Im curious as to why it is not more widespread. Well.. maybe 90 million population and less than a fraction of that can fit into the top Universities may explain some of it...

Thx again for the input

Offline fharz

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
hmm i never heard any school/colleges which is free... is there any? i think there is none...
hope one day philippine will offer free colleges.. for those who can\'t afford to send their kids to college...
Signature Deleted by Admin

Offline Lunkan

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »
One Filipina said she got scholarship in the CDO region 8 years ago or so, because she is good at mathematics and such, but she had to interupt the studies and start working, because she had to assist family to survive, because they are very poor and she has many kid sibblings. No idea if it\'s true. The scholarship part I mean  :) 

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »
One form of free schooling is by private sponsorship, and this is sometimes done by politicians for getting votes by giving out free T-shirts to the pupils advertising the fact.

We have a distant relative who was given a scholarship to nursing college, don\'t know the details.

Colin

Offline bosley

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
The University I went to, University of Santo Tomas, offers scholarships. A close college friend of mine was under the working student scholarship. She works in the university library everyday for 4 hours. All of her 3 other siblings also has gone through that scholarship. It only covers the tuition though. She still has to pay for her books. But nevertheless, it was a great help to their mom.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
The University I went to, University of Santo Tomas, offers scholarships. A close college friend of mine was under the working student scholarship. She works in the university library everyday for 4 hours. All of her 3 other siblings also has gone through that scholarship. It only covers the tuition though. She still has to pay for her books. But nevertheless, it was a great help to their mom.

No doubt it was a big help to the parents.  We helped our nieces and nephews by paying the tuitions for most of them.  All other expenses were the responsibility of the parents and students.  This way they learned to fend for themselves for the everyday expenses, giving them a sense of accomplishment and gain a partnership with the family.  All of those we helped have graduated and all have good jobs, some in the Philippines, some in Dubai.  They all send money home to help their parents.  We all have a sense of team accomplishment as well as allowing the students to achieve personal goals.  I feel good about helping them and have never thought of my money being wasted.  I got lucky.   ;)   :)
Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog