Author Topic: Rice Field  (Read 15413 times)

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Re: Rice Field
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
THis is what our rice mill will return on 100 kilos of paddy @ 14% moisture of the 100 Kilos you will receive 67 kilos of rice, 20 kilos of husks and 13 Kilos of Rice Bran

14% is considered dried rice most rice harvested in the field is around 23% moisture so when purchasing rice it is important to figure how much weight loss you will occur to bring the rice down to proper milling moisture point

you also need to make sure that the paddy is not full of light paddy many of the planters here do not plant hybrid seeds because of this the rice many of the paddy kernels do not have any grain in them they are just husks this will reduce the recovery return and also the price paid for the paddy

Current price for paddy in our area today is 12.50 kilo at 23% moisture picked up in the field current price for 50 kilo sack of good white is 1250 pisos well milled 1350 at the mill

Tom / Roxas City

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
Everything I never needed to know about rice was taught to me in elementary school...

after reading:

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 07:08:22 AM »
 dylanaz  did not read the book but saw the movie

tom /roxas city

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
dylanaz  did not read the book but saw the movie

tom /roxas city

Contrair mon frier !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
Probably so Ray, I can only quote what I personally observed also, we grow a Panda quality rice.....for some reason my brother in law has sewn two (at least) seed types this harvest (6 cavans of harvest so far is pearl ...for bico).

I\'m very respectful of Tom\'s experience and would suggest that he\'s waaaay more knowledgable than I in this respect.

Regional differences may play some part too. We live in Bohol, but rice field is just outside Butuan.... so we are not exactly \"hands on\"
With 2/3 of harvest in we\'ve got 55 cavans in so far.....wholesaler paying P14/kilo (yesterday)

Capt. does the TYPE of rice have a factor with your findings?

I just report what \"I\" know since we pay/transport the milling of Willies rice and get a sack and the hops.

The old barter system at work.  ;D 

Maybe the rice mill has something to do with at yelled also? Willie watches the Pinoy miller closely during the operation, checking right behind him!! Pinoy \"that\'s good enougt\" can prevail!!
B-Ray

Milling rice......

You can expect one 50 kilo sack of milled rice from two sacks out of the field and dried. Granted, that\'s just a rule of thumb!

The size of the rice kennels makes a big difference also!
B-Ray

Don\'t totally agree......from freshly harvested sacks, after drying you will lose 50% of WEIGHT, milling loses 20-25% of volume in our experience

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
hanks Captain Ron for the vote of confidence

The rice mill does effect the recovery rate our rice milling lines are the latest technology made in China and are maintained weekly.

Most of the local mills in our area return 50% rice from the paddy and it is usually a lower grade with more brokens. The traveling rice mills return even less then this we usually mill the rice NFA buys from the farmers NFA test mills a minimum of 500 bags and computes the recovery rates as well as grades the rice your mill has to recover at least 56% to be able to bid on the NFA milling our last test milling a few weeks ago was 67% return with 15% brokens

The paddy also effects the return rate if the farmers use last years harvest for seed the return rate is usually lower as many of the seeds are inferior and do not produce kernels this practice also lowers the yield potential by as much as 40% verses hybrid seed I have bought some hybrid long grain rice that returned as high as 73 % but it was very good paddy

The price of paddy also varies from area to area we just bought 3/10 wheeler truck loads of paddy today tested 23% moisture long grain hybrid for 10.50 kilo delivered our mill price is lower due to the constant rain and moisture content

I have been rice milling now for 10 years here and learn something new everyday on an average month we usually mill in excess of 55,000 /50 kilo bags of rice

If you guys get up to Roxas City stop in a take the nickel tour just ask any one where the kano rice mill is on panay island

Best Regards

Tom / Roxas City 

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »
Tom, are you using SRI practices?

SRI - System of Rice Intensification

http://ciifad.cornell.edu/sri/extmats/nepsrigpengex.pdf

I want my brother in law to devote 1/4 of the field to SRI next harvest

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »

Captain Ron

Great article just wonder if you could get anyone here to practice it most of the farmers in our area give a percentage of the harvest for tilling, planting and harvesting local rice traders finance the fertilizer and the seed and have first rights to purchase the crop when it is all said and done there is very little money left for the farmer

I do not plant rice as it is easier to buy paddy at harvest we only purchase a small amount of paddy each year maybe 40,000 sacks 70 percent of our income comes from milling rice for 60 plus local traders who mill rice with us year round we have 30 some trucks a day bringing rice for milling

We also are able to make a profit by purchasing milled rice from the  traders and distributing it to larger traders in Negros and CDO and Cebu we turn a small profit per bag but it enables the millers to turn their capital this increases the volume of milling so far so good

10 years ago I was told by everyone I was crazy to build a new rice mill in our area as there were 24 mills within 25 miles of us and they did not need a new mill here
I now have some traders driving over 70Km to bring rice to us for milling because of the higher returns and our high capacity machines while the other local mills sleep we run all night

Good luck on getting your brother in law to test the SRI practices hope it does well him

Best regards

Tom / Roxas City

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »
B-ray you are paying a lot of money to mill your rice

We charge the highest milling fee at our mill here in the Capiz area @ 70 piso per 50 kilo bag of well milled rice. Most older mills here charge 50 piso per bag of finished rice.  Even up in Luzon in cagayan valley the going rate is only 100 piso per 50 Kilo bag I know this as we talk with many of these  rice mill owners there weekly

175 Piso per bag is way to much for a milling fee, usually the bran recovered from the milling process covers the milling fees at least in our mill. What area of the RP do you live in I need to build a rice mill there as far as the trucking we also hire 10 wheeler trucks to haul rice to Iloilo cost is 20 piso per 50 kilo bag milage one way 125KM

As far as building a traveling rice mill there are many in our are they usually have a one pass mill in a Jitney hooked up to a 4 cyl Izusu engine my friend has an old one behind his cannery here could be a fixer upper. A new mill for it would cost around 1200 USD these travel the roads in our area and mill from 1 -10 bags at a time for individuals some days if I go to Roxas City I may pass 5 of these in the 30 km drive You have to have a License from NFA to mill rice they are also requiring these units now to have a husk box on the truck instead of dumping the husks along the shoulder of the road

I would talk with the adopted family first seems to me you may be paying your share and there share as well of the milling maybe also on the planting

Be Glad to answer any of your questions just drop me a note if you get over to Roxas please stop in for a cup of Coffee have attached my contact numbers for you

Farmers Milling & Supply Inc.
Tin# 006-025-965
Tom Moskal
Cogon, Panitan Capiz Panay Island 
Republic of the Philippines 5815
Phone 63-36-634-0669
E-mail Farmersmilling@gmail.com or cogon88@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Ray,

Tom\'s on the ball on this one as well......when first told how much milling would cost it was P3/kilo

We negotiated FREE MILLING in exchange for mill keeping the bran (good for pig feed/alcohol rementation/beauty products) and husks (fuel for fires/power generation)

They would have kept the bran and husks anyway, but once they knew that WE KNEW it wasn\'t without value it was diffeent ball game

Tom,

Does anyone ever request just de-husking the rice to produce brown rice? My wife doesn\'t like it but have convinced her it\'s healthier for me (as a diabetic) than white rice (well I think I\'ve convinced her).

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 07:02:02 AM »
Captain Ron,

We do mill what is called Bahat here locally this is rice that is just run through 1 whitener instead of all 4 it rice comes out brown as it still has quite a lot of bran on it most people buy it for their employees as they claim it fills their bellies quicker

I have one expat friend that likes the plain rice just husked only problem is this will spoil in a few days and is very chewy when cooked.

The bran in our area belongs to the Trader a bag of 50 Kilos sells from 500- 600 piso depending on the time of year

Best Regards

Tom / Roxas City

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Folks,
Keep the farming issue going. Thats how we can help  farmers and or relatives
who don\'t have a chance to have their own farm. If we can improve rice harvest with
technology and methods we learn here will be a good improvement.
Improved methods can mean improve harvest and can make the difference
between profit or loss.
Cogon, Captain and all keep up the good work. We need people like you here.
Best regaards,
Rudy

Offline Terpe

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »
I am still attempting to secure answers to some questions I have asked about our proposed rice field.
Especially in connection with who owns and controls irrigation.
So far no information.

I am still learning a lot of very good information here. Thanks to all.

By the way I have another question:-

From the info I am getting from family, it seems that most of the rice grown in their  area (Nueva Ecija)
is now hybrid. They say this allows 3 harvests per year with good yield.
Additionally they tell me better against snails (they don\'t tell me why or how they measure, just their gut feeling)

Does anyone have any information on either hybrid rice capabilities?
or snails (especially when growing hybrid rice) ?

Peter

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
Here\'s some information to read:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC180E/AC180E05.htm

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »
Peter,

my research has shown the following

hybrids can increase harvest by 50% thru increased yield or 3rd harvest per year

however some hybrids need very special fertilizer, tying you into one producer, ie a monoplistic pricing system for both your seeds and fertilizer

contact your local Dept of Agriculture for advice for your region

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog