Author Topic: Why I want to leave Oz  (Read 4543 times)

Offline barili boy

Why I want to leave Oz
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
Reasons I am leaving Australia for RP
                      1/ Cost electricty going ballistic--doubled in three months
                      2/ Real estate going up and up. Bubble gonna burst. Glad i,ve sold for good profit,
                      3/ Cost of everything else going up and up
                      4/ Wage staying same
                      5/ Crime on the rise
                      6/ Banks making a fortune while screwing me senseless
                      7/ Uncontrolled immigration
                      8/ Sick of waking at 4.30am, coming home 6.00pm just to pay the bills and mortgage
                      9/ Got the feeling that life in Oz ain\'t gettig better
                     10/ Need a change

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Why I want to leave Oz
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline barili boy

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Right on the mark. Im in the construction game and in Oz about 50% of tradesman come from the UK. they say we are 10 years behind the Uk and closing fast. So I can see whats gonna happen here soon.

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
Right on the mark. Im in the construction game and in Oz about 50% of tradesman come from the UK. they say we are 10 years behind the Uk and closing fast. So I can see whats gonna happen here soon.

I\'m from England, and it ain\'t pretty over there. 2/3 of the workforce labours to support the other 1/3 that is on social welfare!

The country itself is great, culture, scenery, but the way it is being run nowadays is terrible.

And 1/3 on welfare won\'t be voting for anyone who reduces benefits like current government taslkig about (that\'s if they vote at all).

Offline Braddo

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
I have every thing I want in the PI house car good friends and family we just need to win the Lotto here in OZZY Land so that we can move there otherwise I am like the rest just working to pay the bills   :-\\

But i am better off than most so I should not complain at least my wife and I have good jobs to be able to buy these things in the PI

;D

Offline beeg53

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Bloody hell
I\'m hoping to move back to Oz next year with my assawa. She speaks 7 languages and should not have a prob finding a job. Plus, like most pinoys, plenty of rels!
Doesnt sound too encouraging. Havent lived there for 3 + years.
Gunna have to start shopping for jobs before we plan on leaving me thinks! Bugger.

Offline Foreigner

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »
Yep, I\'m in a similar situation in Oz at the moment.  For some time now I been thinking and planning how best to live in the Philippines.  I\'ve been there a number of times now and each time I return home I look at ways to live there permanently.  Until recently I thought it would be unachievable for at least another 2 years given my financial situation. 

Then Fate stepped in.  A few weeks ago I was made redundant at work.  Initially the prospect of not working again is pretty scary as its a significant milestone in your life.  Anyway after doing my sums and getting financial advice I decided to look at life more positively, count my blessings and will finish work in 2 weeks.

The upshot of this development is that its pushed forward my plans.  This time rather than spending a week or two in PI staying in tourist areas, I want to get into the provinces.  I intend staying 6 weeks and get a real feel of what its like to live there.  And if its to my liking, decide where might be the best place to live.

Fate only takes you so far, now its up to me to make it happen. 

Offline eco

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »
Reasons I am leaving Australia for RP
                      1/ Cost electricty going ballistic--doubled in three months
                      2/ Real estate going up and up. Bubble gonna burst. Glad i,ve sold for good profit,
                      4/ Wage staying same
                      5/ Crime on the rise
                      8/ Sick of waking at 4.30am, coming home 6.00pm just to pay the bills and mortgage
                     10/ Need a change
Hey Bari Boy, I\'m in Australia and I have lived in PI and I also was looking forward to this ideal lifestyle that I had dreamed of since my first trip to some beautiful parts of the Philippines a few years ago. But that trip was only for 3 weeks. When I went and lived in Cebu for 6 months then you get to see it a little differently, maybe it was just Cebu I didn\'t find very appealing. When I came back to Australia it was like coming back home, coming back to civilization. I do believe there would be some really nice places to live there but here is a list to think about why Australia is not so bad:

1/ Cost electricity going ballistic--doubled in three months
 Although cheaper to live overall you can\'t make anymore income as easy as in Oz when you live there, in fact it is going be much harder in most cases. Electricity is cheaper but you might be the type that needs aircon and that adds up.

It shouldn\'t effect you f you own it, if it goes up then you win because it will be worth more when you sell. Interest rates are a problem though as they will probably go up. Remember if you live in the PI then you will be renting unless you want to buy a house under your wife\'s name.

Yes prices do seem to rise here regularly but not that significant. What is costing so much? With the Aussie dollar so high then maybe you could buy online.

4/ Wage staying same
Your wages won\'t be any better in the PI, in fact probably not even fractionally close to what you get in OZ.

5/ Crime on the rise
Where do you live, how does this effect you? I found the PI a lot more dangerous, in fact at times my life was in danger a number of times. I can hardly remember that happening in Oz besides coming across the odd aggressive thug in the streets.

Sounds like you have lot of negative thinking, banks don\'t really screw us, we just like to complain. Everyone hates the banks but it\'s not going to effect ones life so much that we need to leave the country. I\'m beginning to see a pattern of problems with money here. Maybe you need to just concentrate of that part of your life and maybe Australia is not so bad after all. I can tell you now that living in the Philippines will not be a fix to financial problems, in fact I think you will be much worse off. You will also be paying a fortune for immigration, visa updates, havng to buy furniturte or things you need there, travel costs and I found my gf would cost more than double what it cost to live myself.

Yes the immigration is a bit of a joke here when someone like me who was born here, my father served in the Navy and my grandparents were born here that it can take years and a lot of money for us to bring our wife back to live with us yet others find much easier and illegal ways. This aside it still should not effect you too much unless you are living in one of the main cities like Sydney and you are feeling like an alien.

That sucks but how is moving to the PI going to help. If just leaving your job will fix the problem then why do you think living in the PI will help? Why not just leave your job now?

10/ Need a change
Maybe you just need to try some new things, try meeting new people, joining local activities etc. What about moving to another location!

Here are some things that I found sucked in the PI:

Noisy, many motorbikes, Mangy DOGS, roosters, noisy neighbors with loud stereos,  even the buses had thumping house music.
Dangerous Transport System, We got buses most of the time, people were getting killed on them almost daily, ride a motorbike and you better get out of the way of anything bigger. Everyman for himself attitude
Crime, I lost my cell phone, got stolen from out bag in mall as my gf was walking with it. I was often hearing of people getting wallets stolen from them in buses and jeepneys etc. People getting stabbed by jealous locals. Foreigners getting murdered and robbed often. Go to jail there and expect to be eating and living in crap for 10 years or more. Would be easy to get blamed for something you didn\'t do and get thrown into jail.

Food, you will soon start to miss many of the everyday things we get here. If you live in a city and close to a mall then you will probably find a lot of things but it takes awhile to get used to the things you can\'t get there. Fresh milk was one thing I missed for example even though you can get that there in the city but it tastes like powder milk. I found the food there to be unappetizing most of the time. I do love Thai and most Asian food but Philippine food really is pretty crappy. The stuff they sell on the streets looks like slop left over from the family dinner the night before. Compared to Thai food, Philippine food is very disappointing. You do have access to lots of tropical fruits and fish at a lot of places though so they makes up for it s bit. The food you see in a lot of shops is full of nasty chemicals and additives that are banned in most countries.

Money, you will soon start to spend more money than you realize, 100 pesos is not much but 100 there, another 100 there and it soon adds up after awhile, double that if you have a gf or wife, quadruple that at least if you live near her family :)

Different Culture, sure most Philippine people are friendly but remember if you cross then you will be wanted and hunted down by the whole family and that could be a whole province. If you walk down the street in a province where not a lot of foreigners live, expect to get lots of people yelling at you, saying Hey Joe, got money, money, and of course you get a few drunks too. The flip side of that is you get a lots of girls checking you out. Don\'t expect shop keepers to thank you if your a customer, they will probably stare at you and take your money without saying a word. Ask the price or for information and they often won\'t help you either.

Then there is the corruption, 3rd world medical services (if you can find them) God help you if you ever have an emergency, slow and frustrating Internet in a lot of areas, can\'t rely on Police to help if ever have a problem, political issues, POLLUTION is appalling and the poverty can be an eye opener too.

That\'s not to say it\'s all bad there but I think there is at least as many things to think about as you have listed in OZ, taking into account most of your problems in OZ are about money. I will probably be spending a lot of time in the Philippines in the future as my fiance is from there but our goal is for her to get a visa to come back and live here.

exploring the world

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
Yep, I\'m in a similar situation in Oz at the moment.  For some time now I been thinking and planning how best to live in the Philippines.  I\'ve been there a number of times now and each time I return home I look at ways to live there permanently.  Until recently I thought it would be unachievable for at least another 2 years given my financial situation. 

Then Fate stepped in.  A few weeks ago I was made redundant at work.  Initially the prospect of not working again is pretty scary as its a significant milestone in your life.  Anyway after doing my sums and getting financial advice I decided to look at life more positively, count my blessings and will finish work in 2 weeks.

The upshot of this development is that its pushed forward my plans.  This time rather than spending a week or two in PI staying in tourist areas, I want to get into the provinces.  I intend staying 6 weeks and get a real feel of what its like to live there.  And if its to my liking, decide where might be the best place to live.

Fate only takes you so far, now its up to me to make it happen. 

Congrats and good luck

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog