Author Topic: You know you\'ve been in the Philippines too long when....  (Read 10887 times)

Re: You know you\'ve been in the Philippines too long when....
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »

I\'ve never seen a Filipino eat with their hands in a public restaurant. It is not the sort of thing they do. They\'ll struggle to eat fried chicken in KFC with a knife and fork, because they feel it is too \'native\' to use their hands in public. 

Then maybe you have not been around enough, I could take you to several restaurants where Filipinos can be seen eating with their hands.

Maybe I\'ve simply feared to tread in such establishments.....   ;)

I think we shall all have to agree to disagree over the use of cutlery at mealtimes. Different strokes for different strokes etc.  ;D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:08 AM »
I remember returning to Cebu with my wife on a balikbayan soon after SM Cebu opened.  I don\'t know who was more amazed when we entered Pizza Hut and found the locals eating pizza with a knife and fork.   :o   Of course my asawa was quite used to the Kano style of holding that slice up and shoving it into one\'s mouth.  I suppose they believed they were acting in the western style.   8)  Even in the US my wife visited some Pinay friends, pizza was served, along with plates and utensils.  My wife just told them \"I guess I\'m Kano now\" and picked a slice up in her hand and took a bite while they looked on in amazement but still continued eating with knife and fork.    :D   I make no judgement but it is an odd sight to see from my perspective.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
I don\'t know who was more amazed when we entered Pizza Hut and found the locals eating pizza with a knife and fork.

Just last month I went to yellow cab pizza with one of my boarders. She spent 10 years in NYC during her highschool years but is 100% filipina - anyhow - she and I were eating holding the pizza and a table of 20-somethings - who of course eat each slice of pizza with a knife and fork... well

They commented semi-quietly several times how the \"AM-GIRL\" and \"AM-BOY\" are not civilized and eating pizza with their hands...

ROFL

I wanted to laugh.... my friend however, was quite upset.... as she is the sensitive type...

In fact - I am still laughing about that now...

PIZZA IS A FUN FOOD ! Not something you wear a tuxedo to eat !

I wonder if they use a knife and fork when they eat hot buffalo-wings at hooters (Mall of Asia has one)!

Hahahahaaaaa

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 06:44:51 AM »
I really recommend the Kamayan restaurant in Manila which has been producing really good Filipino food since the 70`s.. Although a bit expensive for the average blue collar Filipino , you  still may need to request a spoon and fork!! Its serves traditional Filipino food like Lechon de Leche,  Yaman Dagat, Kare kare, Sizzling  Inihaw Dishes, Lumpiang Ubod etc etc and you are really supposed to use your hands to eat..BTW Forget a plate as from memory, all they give you is a banana leaf.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »
Will be one of my priority stops when i get home........... 8) 8) 8) 8)......kare kare  wow.. :) :) :) :) :)..............ej.

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:59 AM »
We have a restaurant here called Nokie Noks, it is an upmarket version of a Calandaria, indoors and very clean. It serves around 20 different Filipino dishes that change every day. The cook is very adventurous with some interesting and different variations of Filipino style food, some more successful than others ;D  Very cheap and gets crowded with lunch time workers. They do provide forks and spoons  ;)

Colin

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »
Will be one of my priority stops when i get home........... 8) 8) 8) 8)......kare kare  wow.. :) :) :) :) :)..............ej.

Hi i was just wondering what ....kare kare  wow.. ..........ej  means. Notice you have used it a few times, just curiouse.

Hot buffalo wings.....hmmmm :P

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
kare kare its a peanut sauce based dish with some vegs and tripe or and beef cooked in, over fresh rice with a dab of bagoong on the side. :P :P :P :P :P. unfortunatly it is not finger finger eating freindly.. :) :) :) :)  mahalo     ej.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog