Author Topic: any advice for a newbie?  (Read 11479 times)

Offline philipo

any advice for a newbie?
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
Hi, I am moving to the Philippines mid December to join my Filipina g/f who i met here in China where i am currently teaching. We will be moving into an apartment in Manila but i\'m not sure what area will be best as i am applying for teaching positions at the moment in various places, i heard that Makati may be a good central location.
If anybody has any suggestions for a suitable area that would be greatly appreciated, also any information with regard to the cost of rent, living, travel etc would be appreciated as i am in the process of gathering info (slightly apprehensive too after reading some of the posts on here :o)
If there is anyone who was/is teaching in Manila any advice or information on positions would be gratefully accepted.
Finally what about the social aspect, are there many westerner style bar/hangouts where i could meet people and get involved? By the way i\'m from the UK ;D
Look forward to hearing from peeps!
keep it simple like a pimple!

Re: any advice for a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum, you\'re in the right place for good advice, criticism, abuse, humour, mickey taking etc  ;D

Seriously, I assume the jobs you\'re seeking are legit, with work visa etc, as you\'ll be lucky to get any other type of job in the PI.

I would think that Makati is probably the most expensive place to base yourself. I may be wrong, but it is fairly \'up there\'.

You\'ll probably have to go where the work is, as commuting in rush hour to anywhere distant from home would be depressing, tiresome and miserable.

There are plenty of bars in Makati, Avenue Burgos springs to mind, but I\'ve not been there, ever, never ever, well, a few times.  :-[

It is mainly go-go bars, but there were a couple of ordinary type ex-pat bars.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
Welcome Phil, glad to see another Brit joining, but we are still greatly outnumbered by our US friends. What subjects are you teaching, is it English for foreigners? You would need to be in one of the larger cities for that and while Manila is an obvious choice, as KH has said it is the most expensive place. Cebu would be a little cheaper with large collection of foreigners. Check the cost of living section in the forum.

Colin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
There are several \'International Schools\' where we live, in Angeles City. They all have several ex-pat teachers employed there, might be worth trying them.

My daughter is at Westfields International School. Noblesse is another one, a very expensive one, $12,000 a year. There is one inside Clark base, Brent School, even more expensive than Noblesse.

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Philipo,
You might  get shocked at how little they will
pay you here in the Philippines. But cost
of living here is also low so it balances out.

Check things out and you will be the one who
will eventually do it either way.
Feel free to ask the questions you feel are important to you.
Good luck

Offline philipo

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
wow, thanks for the warm welcome and feedback guys, certainly something there to chew on. I\'m definitely going to be living and working in Manila as that is where my g/f comes from(Marikina) and she likes to be near to her family. Any ideas on how much a 2 bedroom apartment would be roughly obviously not in the more well heeled districts like Makati but more in the places where the locals live?
Yes i am an English teacher and i realise that the salaries are much lower than elsewhere especially here in China where i\'m making around 110,000 PHP/ month(with private) so i know i need to be prepared to take a sizeable drop in income but what is the average salary for an English teacher there?
Also any advice on visas? What channels/hoops do i have to negotiate/jump to get a working visa? I need to start getting those wheels in motion soon.
Hello to Colin, nice to hear from a fellow countryman, how long have you been there

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »
wow, thanks for the warm welcome and feedback guys, certainly something there to chew on. I\'m definitely going to be living and working in Manila as that is where my g/f comes from(Marikina) and she likes to be near to her family. Any ideas on how much a 2 bedroom apartment would be roughly obviously not in the more well heeled districts like Makati but more in the places where the locals live?
Yes i am an English teacher and i realise that the salaries are much lower than elsewhere especially here in China where i\'m making around 110,000 PHP/ month(with private) so i know i need to be prepared to take a sizeable drop in income but what is the average salary for an English teacher there?
Also any advice on visas? What channels/hoops do i have to negotiate/jump to get a working visa? I need to start getting those wheels in motion soon.
Hello to Colin, nice to hear from a fellow countryman, how long have you been there

We have lived in the Philippines permanently for just over five years, but spent a number of UK winters here before that.

I can\'t help you with Manila accommodation or working (that word looks vaguely familiar ;D) visas but there is a lot of info here on the forum plus a lot of helpful guys that will have the answers.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »

Rates for English teachers seem to be more in the P30-40,000 per month range.
Work permits are MUCH easier if married to a Filipina.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »

I think you\'ll need to find the job before you apply for the visa, an the school will help arrange it all. They probably won\'t grant an \'open\' work visa.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Hey Philipo,
Rents in Makati and inner Manila is high, but slightly further out, maybe Bacoor, Las Pinas, Paranaque & Taguig (nearer the airport) on the south side has prospects and cheaper than Makati. There are plenty of places near Marikina, like Antipolo, Taytay, San Juan, Pasig, just to name a few.
As for work, the private schools seem to be better, as they tend to have a bit more money for more qualified people. I am not a teacher, but was working in a private international school in Cavite (35km south of Manila), teaching english to primary students. My daughters school. I was only there for 3 months, as I returned to Aus.
Good luck with your house & job hunting.

Bruce

PS we lived only 35kms south from Manila and it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours but car or public transport, so keep that in mind. The further away from work, the longer is can take to travel. The same journey, in non peak hour, takes me 1.25 hrs by car and I am not afraid to drive in Manila.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »

I think you\'ll need to find the job before you apply for the visa, an the school will help arrange it all. They probably won\'t grant an \'open\' work visa.

Correct King.  Also, the visa, if granted, will be tied to that single employer.  The visa holder may not switch employers.  If the visa holder obtains new employment with a different employer they will need to obtain a new visa for the new employer.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline philipo

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »
OK,things are a lot clearer now. Thanks for the advice guys especially Bruce (funnily enough i have been informed of an ex pat apartment building in Cavite with 2 bed places available)
I think we will probably concentrate on finding a place near Marikina, it seems to be easier for travelling to the places where i\'m looking for work (Korean training centres and Int schools) and she\'ll be near the family. As for the visa situation- how long if theoretically(gulp) i decided to marry my g/f would it take for my spouses visa/residency to be processed? If i don\'t get any firm job offers before i leave then i think this may have to be the course of action.
One more thing, whats the deal with buying a motor? I hear drivings pretty bonkers there if its anything like here in China then having nerves of steel and a loud horn is an essentiall ;)! How much would a small,roadworthy, second hand car cost and can i drive there on a UK licence?

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
One more thing, whats the deal with buying a motor? I hear drivings pretty bonkers there if its anything like here in China then having nerves of steel and a loud horn is an essentiall ;)! How much would a small,roadworthy, second hand car cost and can i drive there on a UK licence?
I don\'t beleive there is a \'spouses visa\' for you to obtain, married or otherwise.  You can get a balikbayan visa, if you both enter the PI together, which gives you a year in the country, but short of obtaining some sort of retirement visa there is nothing else I am aware of.

Being married may just \'grease the wheels\' a little when you apply for a work visa.  Officials definitly prefer it when you are married to a local, as family and all is such a big thing in the PI.  ;D

Used cars are expensive in the PI. We just bought a 15 year old Toyota Corolla, and it cost  over £2000.  :o :o :o

You can drive for six weeks on your UK license, but then you are supposed to get a Philippine one. You can simply convert it though, no driving test required.  Driving is fairly chaotic, but you just need to be careful, and fairly bold.

You don\'t hear car horns too often in the PI, unlike some Asian countries where it is almost mandatory to blow them every few seconds.

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:29 PM »
 After you\'re married, you can apply for a 13a permanment resident visa, which is issued to foreign nationals who are legally married to Filipino citizens. If you get it in the Philippines, I believe the first year is probationary and then it becomes a permanet visa. I don\'t know how  long it takes to get it but I\'m sure there are members of this list that can provide that information.
Mike from San Antonio

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »
I don\'t beleive there is a \'spouses visa\' for you to obtain, married or otherwise.  You can get a balikbayan visa, if you both enter the PI together, which gives you a year in the country, but short of obtaining some sort of retirement visa there is nothing else I am aware of.

Being married may just \'grease the wheels\' a little when you apply for a work visa.  Officials definitly prefer it when you are married to a local, as family and all is such a big thing in the PI.  ;D

Marrying a Filipino citizen and aquiring 13A visa makes you a foreign resident.

Thus seemingly makes you eligible to not even need Alien Employment Permit from DOLE Dept of Labor and Employment. See 3.7 in link.

Obtaining AEP is part of process in obtaining work permit/visa for Philippines

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog