Author Topic: Flying into MNL on PAL...  (Read 2280 times)

Flying into MNL on PAL...
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
Looks like my next flight to Manila will be on PAL, from San Francisco, via Maui.  It lands at terminal 2, as far as I know, so does anybody have any hints or tips on the passenger greeting situation there? Chaos? Organised chaos? Cool?

Queen and Princess Herald will be coming to meet me, so we need to scope out the situation ahead of time.  ;D

Is it like term 1, with the alphabetical deal?

Good grief, I just noticed it is a 17 hour flight, including the refuel in Maui!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

And you can\'t check in or select a seat on line with PAL, so first come, first served at the airport....   Oh joy, rear seat, centre row, non reclinable, next to the bathroom....>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

....with a sweet little Filipina sat each side.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
Re: Flying into MNL on PAL...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:34:16 AM »
    The last time I flew in on PAL to their terminal, there was just a walkway outside the building with railings on either side and the people behind them. We had a driver from Margarita Station picking us up and he was there behind the railing with his sign. On one occasion when we flew in on PAL there were a couple of folks on the walkway outside the building double checking the baggage claim checks, so I would hang on to them just in case.
Mike from San Antonio

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:45:24 AM »
when are you stopping in maui? i can bring you a cold pinay and warm beer...... ;D ;D ;D ill be here till dec. then to long beach to visit,then off to da pinas 8) 8) 8)  i hear that manila airport is like the wild wild west, [east]. ;D ;D ;D thats what my sister tells me and she goes home every other year.  not looking forward to that long flight ,then a three hour drive to olongapo.havent yet found an air line that will go to subic bay airport.is that you that has a yamaha thumper, in angeles? i just gave away a yamaha  sr500 thumper, set up for olldies drag racing,wheelie bars and all.still lightening up my load then outa here.....................          tanks fur shur  EJ. 8) 8) 8)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »
Ya MikeBal is on target. Last time there I was picking up a an Expat from usa... he was Blond hair blue eyes about 55 years old and it was hard to find him in the crowd....

BECAUSE I WAS STUCK ACROSS THE STREET ! Forced to wait in a caged off area... odd...

If you have your local SIM card - you and the Ms\'s can txt each other and get things lined up... so I HOPE you got your sim....

NOTE: SIM card often requires a mobile phone to work
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:26:03 AM »
   FYI, you are probably looking at a good 50 yard walk before you can get to the point where there is an opening in the railings. As I said thats as of a couple of years ago, so maybe things have changed for the better.
Mike from San Antonio

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »
Hmm, sounds a bit like the old terminal was, eighteen years ago: like a zoo outside the doors! I always said that walking out of that terminal door would sort the men from the boys, and I bet there are a few timid souls who simply turned round, went back in, and bought a flight straight out.

I remember the new terminal, from ten years ago, where you came out the door and it was wide open area, taxi offices to the left, but I never met anybody there, always took a cab.

Sounds like it could be fun, especially with my large box of hot rod axle and front brakes, that I hope to be bringing along....... :o

And yes, it was me with the SR500. But most of it is back in the UK, as I never put it in the container for some reason.

We only do a refuel in Maui, and I beleive we don\'t even get off the plane. So no fizzy women and flat beer for me.  ;D

Offline Alohalani

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 07:46:07 AM »
It\'s been 7 years since I flew with PAL.  I just know that PAL has its own dedicated terminal and exit, so It\'s not as bad/crowded as arriving from any other airlines.  Should be LESS chaotic...

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
It\'s been 7 years since I flew with PAL.  I just know that PAL has its own dedicated terminal and exit, so It\'s not as bad/crowded as arriving from any other airlines.  Should be LESS chaotic...

Less pilots also??  :P
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »

Less pilots also??  :P

That\'s right.  PAL is having serious labor problems with its\' unions right now and may not be flying when you\'re ready.  Better to double check your plans.

As for me, I swore off PAL many, many years ago.  Messy airplanes, rude service and too pricey anyway.  Not even counting the time I, and the other passengers, thought for sure we were going to crash at NAIA on a domestic flight from Cebu.  Frightening experience to say the least.  Hate to say all this as I love the RP and always try to promote the country and its\' services but just can\'t do it with PAL.  They also have problems with international travel as several countries, including the US, have put them on a sort of probation for safety concerns.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Alohalani

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

As for me, I swore off PAL many, many years ago.  Messy airplanes, rude service and too pricey anyway. 

Me too!  The flight attendants are rude, and act like they are above your station.  You would think since it\'s pricey, you\'ll be getting better service - Negative!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »
I gave up on them myself about 12 years ago, when I was paying my own flights home, as their flights were consistently late, and the planes were maintained to Filipino standards. ie. they weren\'t maintained. Which is scary in an aeroplane. I preferred to pay the extra hundred bucks and use Singapore airlines.

My company refused to use them until very recently, due to safety reasons, hence why I am on this flight now. They must be the cheapest way across the Pacific at the moment.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Well, they\'ve changed my ticket now, as 2 hours in San Francisco didn\'t seem enough, because PAL don\'t do any sort of on-line check in and I need to physically go to the desk and re-check in at San Fran airport.

Now I\'m going to LA, a four hour stopover, then on to Manila, via Maui.

Plane arrives about the same time in MNL, 6:15.

Or that is the intended arrival time......  :-X

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
I\'ve arrived  ;D

Not so painful afterall, to tell the truth. The PAL flight was one of the nicest long hauls I have had for a while, probably the most comfortable ride too, large seats, plenty of leg room, in-seat video (I watched five movies on the flight ) reasonable food, friendly service.

We were two hours late taking off, due to late plane arrival and some medical emergency, guy came aboard on a stretcher etc. But, they made up most of that during the 15 hour flight and we arrived less than an hour late. We also had 45  minutes in Guam, to top off the fuel tanks.

Walked out of Terminal Two, wife was at the railings just outside the door, our ride was parked a few years further, no problemo, easy peasy.   :D

I was pretty \'cross\' that the TSA clowns had cut open my two heavy boxes, for inspection, and put a couple of skimpy inches of their \'TSA tape\' on to hold it all together after. Why did I bother spending an hour in the hotel carefuly packing and wrapping and copiously taping them, when they arrived all busted open and cut apart???  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I\'m sure glad there was nothing fragile in there, just old steel car parts.

But I\'m home now, so it is all good.  ;D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 04:37:35 AM »
Glad to hear you made it back.   ;D   Can\'t wait for the updates on life in Angeles.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog