Author Topic: Foreigner taking University studies in Philippines?  (Read 4947 times)

Offline rudetear

Foreigner taking University studies in Philippines?
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:10:15 AM »
Hello,

I\'m new face in forum wondering about possibility of getting Masters degree in foreign country, possibly Philippines.  I\'ve been investigating the Philippines education system and its Universities from their respective websites (1/3rd seem to be down) , however several questions remain and i wish to inquire the forumers here for some answers.

I\'ve been planning to further educate myself (BSc degree currently) to MSc and wish to do this either full time or part time study in foreign country (Phils/Australia/New Zeland). I\'m currently working and my plans are not to take place until a year or so, but i wish to start the information gatherin now that i can have time to make the decision.

I\'m planning to visit and do bit travelling around Philippines in jan/feb 2011 to learn more about the locals. One of the major reasons why i wish to educate myself in Phils is the possibility improve my english skills to finer degree, learn more about the culture (phils and south-east asia has always fascinated me), experience, better life quality when studying with the support i can attain. I\'ve been also thinking the possibility of moving in to one of the previously mentioned countries later in my life, and wish to live in for a while before making any longer commitments.

One of the major questions is ofcourse, is it possible to foreigner (non-philipino/non-US citizen, an European) to attend Philippinian University as full time student and are there specific requirements? Does anyone in the forums know of such case and possibly give more answers about the case? Or what about someone doing only part of the education (6months-year) in Philippines and their experiences?

I have gathered some information about the cost of living in Phils (which i can easily attain), but so far i havent found conclusive answer about the total university costs, since most of them only list registration fees, apply fees etc. as separate? How is the quality of engineering graduate studies in Phils viewed in outside world?

In short, i\'m inquiring about any experiences people might have and possible warnings / things to checkout before moving on with my plan.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Foreigner taking University studies in Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:05 AM »
My wife has just enquired about an MA(Ed).....but has chosen to do 1 semester of BA(Ed) English secondary education......her degree is BA(Ed) Filipino primary education

What she found at at Holy Name University and University of Bohol were pretty much the same.....

Classes are only held on a Saturday......most of the work is research towards her thesis

Not sure if all Filipino universities follow the same formula

Not sure if this formula will help improve your english (written looks fine to me)

Costs .....approx P10,000 per semester..........a friend (considering MA(Ed) thinks another P70,000 required to complete thesis but she can\'t substantiate where this figure comes from or what it is spent on?????

Not sure if you\'ll need a student visa r can enroll on tourist visa

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »

...How is the quality of engineering graduate studies in Phils viewed in outside world?...

Two companies I have worked for, US Philips and IBM did not recognize degrees from the Philippines (as well as many other countries).  A degree from a country like the Philippines was only ok as long as there was a subsequent higher degree from an acceptable university/country.  For example, a BS degree from anywhere is ok if you have an MS from a U.S. university.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
De LaSalle was approx $5000 USD for a PhD

I did not complete the program and basically went there out of boredom... and it was nearby...

Books, pencils, housing are your responsibility.

not bad in price...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline rudetear

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Not sure if you\'ll need a student visa r can enroll on tourist visa

To study in Philippines foreigner must apply for student visa, tourist visa will not be enough (but you can apply for studen visa when in Phills with tourist visa).

De LaSalle was approx $5000 USD for a PhD

Books, pencils, housing are your responsibility.

not bad in price...

5000 dollars for PhD? Thats not really much compared to many other countries and the basic living costs (decent lifestyle) in Philippines are much lower than in my country. The money i would get to live here is barely enough to survive here and i dont even live in the more expensive areas.

May i ask how did the applying procedure go and where from are you originally?

Thanks for the answers, i would love to know more but i think its not that common to go study in Philippines  ;) i just have to see myself.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:32:55 AM »

Getting in for me may be different than the usual..

1. Had a local \'boarder/bedspacer\' who attended LaSalle and visited teh campus with her a few times
2. Talked to staff she was waiting for and was directed to head of an office
3. Head gave me an application - filled it up and paid under 1k peso for an exam
4. Exam + past transcripts = enrolled

NOTE: There is a fine line to walk for tuition - ALL foreign students pay more... its less for Filipinos and I may have been given the Filipino pricing.

With a bank if you do not get the answer you like - you simply go to another branch. You can apply the same principal to schools also and then relocate once you find one that accepts you on YOUR terms...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline rudetear

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:33:22 AM »

Getting in for me may be different than the usual..

1. Had a local \'boarder/bedspacer\' who attended LaSalle and visited teh campus with her a few times
2. Talked to staff she was waiting for and was directed to head of an office
3. Head gave me an application - filled it up and paid under 1k peso for an exam
4. Exam + past transcripts = enrolled

NOTE: There is a fine line to walk for tuition - ALL foreign students pay more... its less for Filipinos and I may have been given the Filipino pricing.

With a bank if you do not get the answer you like - you simply go to another branch. You can apply the same principal to schools also and then relocate once you find one that accepts you on YOUR terms...

Mm i see. Thanks for the info.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
De LaSalle... for a PhD... I did not complete the program and basically went there out of boredom...

Ahhhhhhhh, Dylan...... the Forum\'s Dilettante in Residence ;D -- Before losing your fleeting fervor for this particular intellectual endeavor and flitting to another flower of interest --- What was the subject matter of your elusive PhD? 

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
Dylan...... the Forum\'s Dilettante in Residence ;D -- Before losing your fleeting fervor for this particular intellectual endeavor and flitting to another flower of interest --- What was the subject matter of your elusive PhD?  

Tom in Big D

I kid you not, but I was inquiring at the Dasmarinas campus about their (a the time) new Law program. It was not even yet available but everyone knew it was in the works - so I went with Education. There really is no way to go wrong in Education because there is not really a wrong answer to anything you can write about... well.. that is - when you write based on previously studied material... and after a certain point it is ALL previously studied...

Offline chummykins

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
Hi guys!

Newbie here and Filipino.

I took up BS Comp. Science in DLSU and my tuition cost me around P30K per semester (tri-sem a year). But that was 10 years ago. I\'m not sure about MAs though. Perhaps you can view it in their site?

By the way, the considered \"top 3 universities\" here in the Phil are: (like this would help, hehe!)

University of the Philippines www.up.edu.ph
Ateneo de Manila www.admu.edu.ph
De La Salle www.dlsu.edu.ph

I\'m not sure how I got here in this site. The forum is interesting. Keep it up!

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
I took up BS Comp. Science in DLSU and my tuition cost me around P30K per semester (tri-sem a year). But that was 10 years ago. I\'m not sure about MAs though. Perhaps you can view it in their site?

Thanks for the info. The prices seem to have stayed the same. That is about 200k for a 2 year program. If you already have an MBA they showed me a PhD program that was roughly 2 years / 200k ish / $5000 USD ish....

Thanks for sharing !

Offline rudetear

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »
Hi guys!

Newbie here and Filipino.

By the way, the considered \"top 3 universities\" here in the Phil are: (like this would help, hehe!)

University of the Philippines www.up.edu.ph
Ateneo de Manila www.admu.edu.ph
De La Salle www.dlsu.edu.ph

I\'m not sure how I got here in this site. The forum is interesting. Keep it up!

Hello and much thanks for your answers. Do you happen to know if any foreigner take / are taking studies in the said schools? I will check the sites if they\'re back online, it seems that for some reason i have difficulty viewing them from here.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:32:52 AM »
Do you happen to know if any foreigner take / are taking studies in the said schools?

The above line implies there are foreign students as they have higher tuition and thus may in fact actually exist :P

The most foreign students I have EVER seen in one place are the schools in a place called Baguio. If you want to feel less like an outsider that is an option.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog