Author Topic: Our Dream Home in Bulacan, Philippines  (Read 9875 times)

Offline tennesseevolunteer

• Sr Member
Re: Our Dream Home in Bulacan, Philippines
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
Here is a 3-D rendering of the living room. The sliding glass door goes to the terrace to the pool also covered by the master bedroom balcony.PS after she gets done with everything she will send one that we can move around as you mention.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
Here is one side of master bath. There will be a light fixture over mirror the lenght of vanity. This is one of the changes we made due to the 3-D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »

I would recommend using Google Sketchup (free download) to produce a 3D model that can be rotated and walked through. It is possible to input basic floor plans and build a model from that.

Most architects and engineers use Autocad...

I\'ve jotted it down and will give it (Sketchup) a try when I get offline.  Being the Forum\'s resident techtarded member, if I can use it, then Google can officially stamp \"user friendly\" of the box.

BTW, I installed Autocad several years ago, spent several weeks trying to learn to use it, and after numerous failed attempts to construct a simple 3-D box... uninstalled it.  It takes a big (or chicken) man to know when to quit.  ;D

I\'ll let you know how Sketchup turns out.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
...The sliding glass door goes to the terrace to the pool also covered by the master bedroom balcony...

Very nice... I like the ceiling detail and what appears to be recessed indirect lighting.  Are all of the finish out items, such as the foregoing, that are shown on the 3-D included and priced into the final product?

I assume you are aware that anything you post is an open invitation to unsolicited advice from \"know-it-alls\" such as myself  :o -- If not, I\'ll give you this example: 

Your floor plan has a terrace exiting the family room, and a second terrace exiting the dining room.  It would be relatively simple to extend the overhang outside the dining room about 4 feet, both providing shade for the dining room windows and also connecting the two terraces.  If you have a large gathering, this would provide a great circular traffic flow through the living room, past the kitchen, through the dining room, across the outside terraces and back again - rain or shine.

I\'ll save my other ideas until I see if you tell me to \"buzz off.\"  ;D

Tom in Big D 
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

I would recommend using Google Sketchup (free download) to produce a 3D model that can be rotated and walked through. It is possible to input basic floor plans and build a model from that.

I\'ve jotted it down and will give it (Sketchup) a try when I get offline.  Being the Forum\'s resident techtarded member, if I can use it, then Google can officially stamp \"user friendly\" of the box.

BTW, I installed Autocad several years ago, spent several weeks trying to learn to use it, and after numerous failed attempts to construct a simple 3-D box... uninstalled it.  It takes a big (or chicken) man to know when to quit.  ;D

Tom in Big D

I would not recommend Autocad to anyone other than a serious architect/engineer. It has a very steep learning curve and does far more than an amateur designer would ever need. I do have it on my computer but just to convert the approved autocad plans to Sketchup. I prefer Chief Architect, but it is also complicated and again does far more than is required, and I am not making any attempt to master it all.

Colin

Offline abw

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »

I\'ve jotted it down and will give it (Sketchup) a try when I get offline.  Being the Forum\'s resident techtarded member, if I can use it, then Google can officially stamp \"user friendly\" of the box.

BTW, I installed Autocad several years ago, spent several weeks trying to learn to use it, and after numerous failed attempts to construct a simple 3-D box... uninstalled it.  It takes a big (or chicken) man to know when to quit.  ;D

Tom in Big D

I would not recommend Autocad to anyone other than a serious architect/engineer. It has a very steep learning curve and does far more than an amateur designer would ever need. I do have it on my computer but just to convert the approved autocad plans to Sketchup. I prefer Chief Architect, but it is also complected and again does far more than is required, and I am not making any attempt to master it all.

Colinitech

I agree with this. I\'ve been using AutoCad for over 18 years (I\'m a Mech Engineer). Although it\'s a very powerful program, it\'s not for the casual user. Also, although you can draw things in 3D using AutoCad, it\'s basically a 2D CAD package. For 3D, you need a dedicated modelling package (I use Solidworks in my job). I\'m not really that familiar with Sketchup, but I\'ve heard it\'s pretty good if you\'re not experienced in using CAD. It should be ample for visualising a house design. At the end of the day the architect will use AutoCad to produce 2D drawings.

Andrew

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »
I tried Auto Cad and it is way over my head. One main reason We are using a Filipino architech is the building codes etc. Per our subdivision restrictions is we have our plans approved my the subdivision contractor and the city. My son is a Design Engineer and he reccomended using a local since he had no knowledge of the building codes. If we were in the province it would not matter. This will be my last home and we want what we want so we can be comfortable. I realize Sallve and her family will live there for many years in the future after I am gone( I am probably going to piss them off since I pan on living a very long time ;D)

As for the balcony extending to the other terrace if you look at plans the roof line will be so that if should provide ample shade. I posted on this forum because I like the input good or bad. A lot of you have experience in building in the Philippines and I need the input so I hopefully can avoid situations causing cost over runs.

Our budget when we started was 3.5 million but being in the construction business 30 + years I know there will be cost over runs. With knowledge from listening to  others and a lot of research we hope to cut down on those over runs by getting the design right before actual approval of the blue prints.

Salve and I hope to get to the Philippines soon to interview contractors and look at their work plus do a lot of pricing materials too get a real  grasp on the actual cost.

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:04 AM »

Our budget when we started was 3.5 million but being in the construction business 30 + years I know there will be cost over runs. With knowledge from listening to  others and a lot of research we hope to cut down on those over runs by getting the design right before actual approval of the blue prints.

Salve and I hope to get to the Philippines soon to interview contractors and look at their work plus do a lot of pricing materials too get a real  grasp on the actual cost.

My initial budget was P5M which I guessed would be unrealistic, but it did lead to discussions and the removal of some unnecessary features. Our build is stalled at the moment sorting out some problems with the proposed contractor, but when we resume, we will now purchase all the materials, so I will post costs as we go along.

Colin

Offline uk

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
this article is a interesting read for those who have started a build or looking to start

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/opinion/20611-lets-stop-the-cement-overprice.html

Offline JHunt

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 01:25:10 AM »
Tennesseevolunteer,

You mentioned your budget was 3.5 million.  Isn\'t your floor plan about 240 square meters (120 each floor)? 

I checked on the type of wall construction you mentioned a few months ago (December) and was told \'typical\' costs for the concrete walls with foam sandwiched in between would be about P25,000 per square meter.  I am curious as to what you are finding out about that.  Below is the source I contacted in December:

Northcon Construction and Management Corporation
> > Main Office:
> > GF, PCPD Building
> > 2332 Chino Roces Avenue Extension (is the old
> \'Pasong
> > Tamo Avenue\')
> > Makati City 1231

Jim
Jim :)

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 01:53:42 AM »
Well it\'s been a long while since my last post. We have been seriously trying to have a baby and taking up a lot of time. LOL. We have received copies of the complete final plans for approval. My son is looking them over and making any adjustments to help eliminate any construction changes. Our lot will be paid in full by March and then I will travel home to Philippines searching for a building contractor. Maricel has done a fantastic job on our plans putting in thing we want and telling us if we are wrong on some. At this time I will give her first opportunity on construction. We have faith in her knowing that quality  a d honesty will be first.  We realize that our first budget was too low. The same as others in this forum.  God has been so good to Salve and I that we pray to have all paid for before construction. Number one my mother to whom I am her only care giver has improve so much from her Altimizers. Her doctor has give her medication for it and it is like difference in day and night.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog