Author Topic: Bringin Electricial items from Australia to PI  (Read 4154 times)

Offline vercoes

Bringin Electricial items from Australia to PI
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:26:16 AM »
Folks, have just joined this very informative fourm and have read quite a number of your posts etc about electricity but not being a \"tradesperson\" it all makes little sense to me.† My question is simple and I hope you can advise me accordingly.† We own a nice house in a good subdivision in Pampanga and will be there for 3 months this coming Feb 2011.† I am bringing with me this time a new HD LCD TV that I bought here (Australia) for a good price....much cheaper than PI.† My intention is to install this on the wall in our bedroom for my viewing while the rest of the family etc watch downstairs.

Will the TV work ok on the PI electricity?† Can i get the 3 plug taken off and replace with a 2 flat plug commonly used in the PI? I will be bringing an adapter with me or will buy from the hardware store when I arrive.

thanks

Re: Bringin Electricial items from Australia to PI
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »
Hi, and welcome.
We did just the same, brought our tv from the UK, and everything else too. Everything except the washing machine has worked without problem for nigh on six months now. The washing machine drain pump just does† not want o work, even when I swapped it for a local 60hz one.

Depending on whereabouts in Pampanga you are, everything you need will be available in an SM Megamall, or similar such establishments.

I have used some 25+ local plugs converting all our stuff to fit local outlets. I\'ve done it too all my garage gear, grinders, welder etc. There are some good plugs, some bad, but SM\'s Ace Hardware sells decent the quality15 amp two pin plugs for 39 pesos.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:46:11 AM »
My intention is to install this on the wall in our bedroom for my viewing while the rest of the family etc watch downstairs.
Welcome Vercoes, we will be doing a similar thing by installing the \'Tagalog TV\' in the large entrance hall/family room for Filipino visitors, and having a large flat screen TV in the lounge with Cinema sound etc in the Lounge.

Will the TV work ok on the PI electricity?† Can i get the 3 plug taken off and replace with a 2 flat plug commonly used in the PI? I will be bringing an adapter with me or will buy from the hardware store when I arrive.
The voltage here is a little lower and often erratic but things generally work OK. I would be inclined to use a surge protector for any expensive equipment, I use one for my computer.

I don\'t like the two wire with no earth system used here and I am fitting all universal sockets in my house. These will even take the UK/Australian three pin plugs. I guess it would be difficult to install the third earth wire retrospectively in a finished house, but I would not own a house without it.

Colin

Offline beeg53

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
Hi mate
Most of my stuff came with me from Macau (240V)
I use powerboards with safety cutout switches.
Aside from the regular brownouts in Cebu have had no probs
Cheers

Offline Terpe

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
King Herald, did you do anything special to you UK TV?
What signal inputs to TV ?

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
King Herald, did you do anything special to you UK TV?
What signal inputs to TV ?

We have cable tv here, Comclark, and the cable box just plugs into the tv and works as normal.

What goes in the tv SCART sockets is the same all over the world, just the aerial type tv is different. Even our XBox and Wii work here, as they run off transformers down to 12volts or so.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
Everything I brought with me from Singapore worked except the Sony bedside clock radio with extra large LED display. Well actually it does work, but the clock runs about 20% fast due to the frequency change. This problem was a surprise to me, because that clock radio can also run from batteries so it is not totally dependent on incoming AC frequency. Hmmm.

Richard

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Well actually it does work, but the clock runs about 20% fast due to the frequency change. This problem was a surprise to me, because that clock radio can also run from batteries so it is not totally dependent on incoming AC frequency. Hmmm.

Richard
But running on batteries it will be accurate.† ;)

I learned long ago never to take a mains-powered alarm clock onto my ship, as generator fluctuations make it highly inaccurate.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
But running on batteries it will be accurate.† ;)

I learned long ago never to take a mains-powered alarm clock onto my ship, as generator fluctuations make it highly inaccurate.

Yes I believe it will, I am just surprised that they designed it with 2 clock reference circuits when they could have used one that works with either power source. It\'s not like Sony to pass up the opportunity to save $0.50 on parts. :)

Richard

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »

Yes I believe it will, I am just surprised that they designed it with 2 clock reference circuits when they could have used one that works with either power source. It\'s not like Sony to pass up the opportunity to save $0.50 on parts. :)

Richard
Clock reference circuits?† ??? You\'ve lost me now.† ;D† It will probably be a small transformer, pushing reduced mains power into the same clock internals as the battery does.

Offline eco

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:11:54 AM »
... We own a nice house in a good subdivision in Pampanga and will be there for 3 months this coming Feb 2011.† I am bringing with me this time a new HD LCD TV that I bought here (Australia) for a good price....much cheaper than PI.† My intention is to install this on the wall in our bedroom for my viewing while the rest of the family etc watch downstairs.

Can you tell me how much it costs to bring a flat screen tv and what size you have? I ask as I might want to do that in the future.

Also, are you bringing it just for 3 months or for long term? If for only 3 months then maybe you could hire one out.
exploring the world

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:27:29 AM »

Richard
Clock reference circuits?† ??? You\'ve lost me now.† ;D† It will probably be a small transformer, pushing reduced mains power into the same clock internals as the battery does.

What I meant is that they have to have some circuitry to generate a clock signal when running from battery, because there is no incoming mains power to use as the reference. Since that circuitry MUST be there, they could use it even when running from mains power, and save the cost of the small transformer. But they didn\'t, so that\'s that.† It\'s not a big deal at all, it\'s just that I hate wasting stuff.

Richard

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »

What I meant is that they have to have some circuitry to generate a clock signal when running from battery, because there is no incoming mains power to use as the reference. Since that circuitry MUST be there, they could use it even when running from mains power, and save the cost of the small transformer. But they didn\'t, so that\'s that.† It\'s not a big deal at all, it\'s just that I hate wasting stuff.

Richard
Hmmm, never thought of that before. I assumed they had some device that simply operates when you put power in, maybe a small electric motor to turn hands, dials, rotors etc.

I guess an LED display clock would have no need of a motor though.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »

Richard

Richard

A clock synchronized to the mains is going to be more accurate than one controlled by a free running timer, also you would still need a transformer to step the voltage down for the timer circuitry. If I were to design it, I would always run the clock from the timer circuit, and synchronize it to the mains frequency when it was available.

Colin

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
A clock synchronized to the mains is going to be more accurate than one controlled by a free running timer, also you would still need a transformer to step the voltage down for the timer circuitry. If I were to design it, I would always run the clock from the timer circuit, and synchronize it to the mains frequency when it was available.

Colin

Yes and no Colin. Crystal oscillators nowadays can be very accurate and stable, much more so than the frequency of the mains power which is dependant on the rotational speed of a big generator somewhere that is affected by the load conditions at any time. I know that in the UK there is a requirement to compensate for frequency changes so that the accuracy over every 24 hour period is fairly good and allows electric clocks to keep reasonably good time. But I doubt very much that there is such a requirement here in Philippines. Ha ha and it wouldn\'t apply during \"brown outs\" anyway.

Richard