Author Topic: Bringin Electricial items from Australia to PI  (Read 4125 times)

Re: Bringin Electricial items from Australia to PI
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
A clock synchronized to the mains is going to be more accurate than one controlled by a free running timer, also you would still need a transformer to step the voltage down for the timer circuitry. If I were to design it, I would always run the clock from the timer circuit, and synchronize it to the mains frequency when it was available.

Colin

Yes and no Colin. Crystal oscillators nowadays can be very accurate and stable, much more so than the frequency of the mains power which is dependant on the rotational speed of a big generator somewhere that is affected by the load conditions at any time. I know that in the UK there is a requirement to compensate for frequency changes so that the accuracy over every 24 hour period is fairly good and allows electric clocks to keep reasonably good time. But I doubt very much that there is such a requirement here in Philippines. Ha ha and it wouldn\'t apply during \"brown outs\" anyway.

Richard

I would be surprised if they put a crystal oscillator in something as simple as a clock unless it was a top end model. My battery clocks are certainly not very accurate. As you say, a mains clock in the UK is accurate, I can\'t comment about the accuracy of mains clocks here, but I have given up resetting the microwave clock because of all the brownouts.

Colin

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
Reasonably good time and accurate are not the same Colin.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:31 AM »

Chuck

No, I need my timepiece accurate to a millisecond every thousand years, nothing less will suffice......  ;D

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »

Chuck

No, I need my timepiece accurate to a millisecond every thousand years, nothing less will suffice......  ;D

I believe the internet is tied to an atomic clock somewhere so maybe your cellphone/ipad can give you that accuracy  ;) ;D

Colin

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
Folks, have just joined this very informative fourm and have read quite a number of your posts etc about electricity but not being a \"tradesperson\" it all makes little sense to me.  My question is simple and I hope you can advise me accordingly.  We own a nice house in a good subdivision in Pampanga and will be there for 3 months this coming Feb 2011.  I am bringing with me this time a new HD LCD TV that I bought here (Australia) for a good price....much cheaper than PI.  My intention is to install this on the wall in our bedroom for my viewing while the rest of the family etc watch downstairs.

Will the TV work ok on the PI electricity?  Can i get the 3 plug taken off and replace with a 2 flat plug commonly used in the PI? I will be bringing an adapter with me or will buy from the hardware store when I arrive.

thanks

Colin,

Do you remember sometime last year I think it was,  ??? that you and I had a conversation about
Universal outlets (like you just posted) and we both posted a picture of a 2pin/3pin universal adapter??
I can\'t find my pic, maybe if you could find the one u posted it would help vercoes to know what
to look for in the hardware store, instead of cutting and shutting the Aussie 3 pin plug??

Also, I run all Oz 3 pin stuff in my house as well as power boards with individual switches for each outlet.

Graham

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
Folks, have just joined this very informative fourm and have read quite a number of your posts etc about electricity but not being a \"tradesperson\" it all makes little sense to me.  My question is simple and I hope you can advise me accordingly.  We own a nice house in a good subdivision in Pampanga and will be there for 3 months this coming Feb 2011.  I am bringing with me this time a new HD LCD TV that I bought here (Australia) for a good price....much cheaper than PI.  My intention is to install this on the wall in our bedroom for my viewing while the rest of the family etc watch downstairs.

Will the TV work ok on the PI electricity?  Can i get the 3 plug taken off and replace with a 2 flat plug commonly used in the PI? I will be bringing an adapter with me or will buy from the hardware store when I arrive.

thanks

Colin,

Do you remember sometime last year I think it was,  ??? that you and I had a conversation about
Universal outlets (like you just posted) and we both posted a picture of a 2pin/3pin universal adapter??
I can\'t find my pic, maybe if you could find the one u posted it would help vercoes to know what
to look for in the hardware store, instead of cutting and shutting the Aussie 3 pin plug??

Also, I run all Oz 3 pin stuff in my house as well as power boards with individual switches for each outlet.

Graham

I don\'t know where my photo is either, but here is a chart of a universal module and all the different sockets that will fit into it. These can be bought from places like City Hardware either to install on a blank back plate or as a complete item.

Every socket in my house will be this type. The standard Philippine/US two pin sockets, apart from not having the essential earth, often do not hold heavy plugs securely. You can buy and use an adapter in a standard Philippine two pin socket but the extra weight is liable to make them fall out.

Colin

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
I would be surprised if they put a crystal oscillator in something as simple as a clock unless it was a top end model. My battery clocks are certainly not very accurate. As you say, a mains clock in the UK is accurate, I can\'t comment about the accuracy of mains clocks here, but I have given up resetting the microwave clock because of all the brownouts.

Colin

Even a $1 wristwatch has a quartz crystal oscillator inside. They are very cheap nowadays, the wonders of mass production.

Richard