Author Topic: .  (Read 2604 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:46:35 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Re: For those of you interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »
A very interesting set of photos. I can\'t say that the beehive style appeals to me, being more of a traditionalist, but it is good to see people experimenting with these ideas. I do like the idea of rabbits and solar panel, perhaps you could share some more details of these with us.

Colin

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
We are thinking about raising rabbits when the house eventually gets finished. I put some information I found about raising them in the Philippines here.  http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3262.45.html Bing, like most Filipinos, was not too keen on eating rabbit until she tried it. You can\'t beat a good rabbit stew with the pan deglazed with red wine ;D

We met someone here who used to work for Shell when they sold Solar systems, and took over when they dropped out of that side of the business. He has installed a lot of systems here on Palawan, I will be looking into that later as well.

Colin

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »
I\'m always interested in something unusual! That\'s truly a marvel of an achievement in building a dome type structure of a home with self sustaining energy! Only one can only be so lucky, but you planned it that way so luck has nothing to do with it! Where is it that you built your home?

Just a few curious questions from my observations;
Wouldn\'t your solar panels be susceptible to damage from strong winds due to a hurricane?
What about flooding, when your base foundation and flooring seems to be just inches slightly above ground level?
What\'s your source of interior cooling and ventilation?
Do you having any other source of electrical power other than your solar panels?
What\'s your fresh water source?
What about your sewage system? Where does the run off go? Any form of a leech field system?†

Offline PenthouseLife

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »
My friend, you should be featured on the discovery channel, seriously!† I shoot video and have a video editing station, in addition i own a news company also Metr.......anMan..a..om† (sorry forum rules not allowed to post name of website) but I want to put you in contact with one of my news writers if you wouldn\'t mind cooperating for a front page news article about your eco-living.

Back home in Montana, there\'s a lot of \"free men\" and \"survivalists\" and idealistic retirees who set out for extremes of eco-living and it\'s very inspiring, you Sir are very inspiring.

Can I ask, where to order the dirt bags? Is it important to get rocks vs. loose dirt into the bags? Any hardening mixture inside the bags?

Thanks in Advance

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
Well LIS, you seem to have the homesteader mentality of those in Alaska when I lived there 10 miiles out from a small town.......... 1969-80?†  ;D
B-Ray

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »

Thank you B-Ray. †I\'ll take that as a compliment.

As intended!!

An old timer homesteader hand dug a 4\"4\'X 80\' water well, cribbing as he went down. He made a trip bucket at the top to dump the soil. Another homesteader had a sonna with a hot house above and grow some veggie in the Alaskan winter. I saw a hand made blatter pump driven by a water wheel in the summer time.

Yes, many things can be done besides depending totally on what money can buy! But, city folks just can\'t understand that, RIGHT??

Have a fine one, YA HEAR and keep doing what your doing!!
B-Ray