Author Topic: Working for an America company in the Philippines  (Read 3604 times)

Offline roydave

Working for an America company in the Philippines
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:22 AM »
I am an American and have been offered a position to work based in Makati and then be sent to Asia and Europe for field work.† My wife is Thai with US citizenship so I have so knowledge of Southeast Asia though we have never been to the Philippines.† If my job supplies me with a visa to live and work there, will it be possible for my wife to find work as well?† We are also trying to figure out where to live.† Are there reliable trustworthy places who can show us around?† We have been searching the net but face to face searching is always better.

Roy

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Working for an America company in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
I am an American and have been offered a position to work based in Makati and then be sent to Asia and Europe for field work.† My wife is Thai with US citizenship so I have so knowledge of Southeast Asia though we have never been to the Philippines.† If my job supplies me with a visa to live and work there, will it be possible for my wife to find work as well?† We are also trying to figure out where to live.† Are there reliable trustworthy places who can show us around?† We have been searching the net but face to face searching is always better.

Roy

If she is used to a USA salary then she would be better off with no job. If shes looking for something in fast food or working in a shopping mall im pretty sure she could rake in upwards of 6 dollars.... a DAY !† ;D sad, but true...

They key is to do liek you did - get a usa job to transfer you here and then you REALLY live the good life !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:11:55 AM »
IMO not unless her visa is also a work visa and why would she want to work for the salary she could make. Or maybe ask your company if there might be a position for her and if they could arrange the visa. Another great idea would be for her to do volunteer work like teaching English to the poor or anything else that she would be qualified for and that might be much more fulfilling than the little she would probably make at a job she could find and your salary should be very big to live on there so filling her time might be more important than the money possibly earned.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »
Unless your wife has a work visa, she will not be legally able to work in the Philippines anyway...plus the low wage thingy.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
Roy just curious what industry you are involved in.

Offline roydave

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »
It is a chip maker from the Silicon Valley.† I would not be making my American salary but something that should be ok in Manila. They have offices all over Europe, Asia and the US and I would be traveling to most of them, off and on.† Sounds like fun but not a great deal for my wife.†

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
Hey Roy,† its been a year.† †  did you take the job?† how are things working up.