Author Topic: Security Wall/Fence  (Read 8238 times)

Offline B.Wolfe

Security Wall/Fence
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a big reason why security walls are so often made from hollow blocks, at a much greater expense than a chain link fence could be erected for. The walls are often unsightly, and give the appearance of wanting nothing to do with the neighbors.† A fence would be just as secure, could even have a barbed wire runner† at the top, and would be up a lot faster and cheaper. In this country, it would also be very fast to achieve privacy with the way vegetation could blanket a fence.† Is it just me, or does anyone else think there is a better way?

Re: Security Wall/Fence
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a big reason why security walls are so often made from hollow blocks, at a much greater expense than a chain link fence could be erected for. The walls are often unsightly, and give the appearance of wanting nothing to do with the neighbors.† A fence would be just as secure, could even have a barbed wire runner† at the top, and would be up a lot faster and cheaper. In this country, it would also be very fast to achieve privacy with the way vegetation could blanket a fence.† Is it just me, or does anyone else think there is a better way?

A chain link fence could easily be cut or pulled up, they do not keep out determined Filipinos. I saw one opened up within days of it being installed around the airfield in Lingayen Pangasinan. It blocked the shortcut across the runway to the beach† ;D† Not so easily to knock a hole in a hollow block wall.

Colin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »

You do what you want to do. If you want a chain link fence, that can be seen through and cut very easily, then you can do that. But if you want privacy, want to stop people eye-balling your operation, nosing into your property, then you put a solid fence. It can be wood, concrete, or some old corrugated roofing you find up the street. I have seen it all in the PI.

As you may have noticed, dishonesty is prevalent in, er, certain countries, so the less people can see of your belongings the less temptation there is for them.

There is also a reason people put up heavy steel grills over all their windows in the Philippines. Decoration I guess.......† ;)

Offline kaselehlia

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:22:19 AM »
Even at 60yrs old I can climb a chain link fence with a couple of barb wires on top as fast as when I was 10yrs old.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
And you can be over a concrete wall with broken glass on top in seconds, with a cheap ladder and a piece of heavy carpet or rubber sheet.

But we\'ll have our usual half dozen crazy dogs on the other side waiting for you.† ;D

Offline B.Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »
I have seen the chain link fences that they sell here. I was referring to maybe importing a roll or two of the real stuff, like what the use around prisons in the U.S.† That kind is made from heavy duty wire that would make difficult work for† the kind of wire cutters you can buy here.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
I have seen the chain link fences that they sell here. I was referring to maybe importing a roll or two of the real stuff, like what the use around prisons in the U.S.† That kind is made from heavy duty wire that would make difficult work for† the kind of wire cutters you can buy here.

It would be cheaper to build a hollow block wall, and you can buy good wire cutters and even bolt cutters. If someone is determined to get in you won\'t easily stop them, but it is better not to tempt them by allowing then to see what you have got. Most thieves are opportunists, so it is better not to encourage them. The best answer is a good guard dog.

Colin

Offline PenthouseLife

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
8 pesos per hollow block, i know it\'s hard to believe but probably less expensive than the fencing lol

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
8 pesos per hollow block, i know it\'s hard to believe but probably less expensive than the fencing lol

We just had a quote for a wall round part of our plot, 2.5 m tall by 35 metres long: 80,000 pesos.

That is in Angeles, so all prices are inflated accordingly....† :o

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:40:48 AM »

We just had a quote for a wall round part of our plot, 2.5 m tall by 35 metres long: 80,000 pesos.

That\'s roughly $1700.† I\'ll bet that an 8 foot x 115 foot chain link fence in the US or UK would cost more than that† † ;)†  :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:30:34 AM »
That\'s roughly $1700.† I\'ll bet that an 8 foot x 115 foot chain link fence in the US or UK would cost more than that† † ;)† †:)

I just received an email from a friend in Denver.† He called a local fence company and got prices for chain link fencing.† Commercial grade† $21p/f† 115 ft =$2415...residential $18 p/f = $2070.†

As residential is usually only 4 foot, I would think that the commercial grade is more in line with our comparison of a 2.5m HB wall.

Conclusion: The HB wall is cheaper and more secure from inquisitive eyes.†  ;)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »

That is about the same sort of cost that I have seen quoted before and will expect to pay. Unfortunately that will cost me about P500k to fence our lot and may have to wait a while.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »

That is about the same sort of cost that I have seen quoted before and will expect to pay. Unfortunately that will cost me about P500k to fence our lot and may have to wait a while.

Colin

One of the down-sides of having a huge lot, eh Colin?† ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:39 AM »
I think Colin\'s is 600sqm.....Imagine cost of our perimeter fence.......8800sqm.....not all fenced walled as yet

Loads of limestone rock on our lot......killed two birds with one stone.....used rock (from clearing lot) as wall material

Will top with 1m vertical steel rails

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:16:13 AM »
I think Colin\'s is 600sqm.....Imagine cost of our perimeter fence.......8800sqm.....not all fenced walled as yet

Loads of limestone rock on our lot......killed two birds with one stone.....used rock (from clearing lot) as wall material

Will top with 1m vertical steel rails

Colins is 3000 sq m Ron, hence the kings ransom for the wall.† †

We\'ll stick to our cute little 300.† ;D