Author Topic: Security Wall/Fence  (Read 8289 times)

Re: Security Wall/Fence
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
I think Colin\'s is 600sqm.....Imagine cost of our perimeter fence.......8800sqm.....not all fenced walled as yet

Loads of limestone rock on our lot......killed two birds with one stone.....used rock (from clearing lot) as wall material

Will top with 1m vertical steel rails

Colins is 3000 sq m Ron, hence the kings ransom for the wall.   

We\'ll stick to our cute little 300.  ;D
King,

Your cute 300 cost not far short of my 3000 and would be no where big enough for me. Originally we were looking for a minimum of 1000 square metres as long as it was approx square. We settled for 1500 but found while planning the house that it was too narrow at 15 metres. We then bought an adjacent lot, each one costing approx P1M. We did not need 3000, but think of all the fruit trees and orchids we can now grow  ;D Also lots of vegetables at the back. I also do not like the idea of living in spitting distance of neighbours, them not us  ;D This is also the reason why I am building towards the back of the lot, any future neighbours are more likely to build nearer to the front. The wall may be a little expensive, but it is more than offset by the big advantage of a good garden and privacy.

Colin

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »

Your cute 300 cost not far short of my 3000 and would be no where big enough for me.

If it were up to me I\'d be buying a large parcel of cheap land miles way from the nearest neighbour, but I\'m not allowed to make that sort of decision any more.  >:(

I\'d love some peace and quiet, and solitude, some room to grow, space to breathe and make noise, and not hear other peoples noise etc. But, wife and daughter want to be right near relatives, school  shops, security.....  :(

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 01:26:41 AM »
I\'d love some peace and quiet, and solitude, some room to grow, space to breathe and make noise, and not hear other peoples noise etc.

Precisely why I will insist on at least 2 hectares of land slightly outside of the city.  Close enough for a short drive to shop, etc, but far enough away to not be bothered by noise and traffic.  I won\'t bother to fence or wall it all in.  I\'ll settle for a security wall around the yard and garden area adjacent to the house.  The rest of the land can be open as far as I\'m concerned.  It will be used simply for room to breath and to plant some fruit trees.  Now all I need is about 5M pesos to get started.   Where\'s that lottery ticket I just bought?   ;D 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »
2 hectares? My 8800sqm is waaaaaay big enough, too big for us.
But after subdividing I reckon 1500-2000sqm should be enough for about a dozen fruit trees, fish pond, swimming pool and 9mx18m lot for the house, oh yeah and Glo\'s veggie garden

Momo Beach 2km to the north west, Doljo beaches 3-4km west and Dumaluan Beach 5km south of us

9°35\'14\"N 123°45\'46\"E

9.5861353N 123.7630463E on Wikimapia

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 05:14:39 AM »
But after subdividing I reckon 1500-2000sqm should be enough for about a dozen fruit trees, fish pond, swimming pool and 9mx18m lot for the house, oh yeah and Glo\'s veggie garden.......

We could get so much more \'bang for our buck\' if we moved away from Angeles to a less densely populated/tourist area.  :(

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:53 AM »
But after subdividing I reckon 1500-2000sqm should be enough for about a dozen fruit trees, fish pond, swimming pool and 9mx18m lot for the house, oh yeah and Glo\'s veggie garden.......

We could get so much more \'bang for our buck\' if we moved away from Angeles to a less densely populated/tourist area.  :(

Our lot is on Panglao Island......probably less densely populated.....hardly a non tourist area.....lot prices adjoining ours have gone up 4 fold in 3 years but still a bargain
.....even ocean front (@ P4-10,000/sqm seems cheaper than what you\'re paying in Angeles

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
.....even ocean front (@ P4-10,000/sqm seems cheaper than what you\'re paying in Angeles

We paid 5000 per sq metre, but the adjacent lot we thought of having too is 6000 per sq/m, because it is \'commercial land\'.  ???

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
We live on 2 hectares and to be honest its too much like hard work just keeping all the grass and weeds down with only a strimmer!!...
Cant get decent petrol lawn mowers here so that is definitely another must have item for a BB box IMO..

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Been off a while.  Just got back from first visit to house in Orion I will be moving to, hopefully sooner.  But pertaining to the fence.  I got real lucky I learned, and and still learning as i read this forum.  Solid cement walls, 7\' high(about).  Large gate in front.  House sits on about 1.7 hectares all walled in. 
But as mentioned below, now i got to worry about pouring the powder on the lawn to keep the ankle biters away, and keep it trimmed.  Fun. LOL

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
We live on 2 hectares and to be honest its too much like hard work just keeping all the grass and weeds down with only a strimmer!!...
Cant get decent petrol lawn mowers here so that is definitely another must have item for a BB box IMO..

Goats fred, goats. Well one goat anyway.....she won\'t eat everything but she\'ll eat most of it, especially if mixed rough grasses.
However goats will eat a wide range of food, preferring more fibrous food to lush grass. They will eat young thistles and brambles, as well as twigs, they also like bark from trees.

Anchor them down on 10m wire rope, move them daily or as needed - give \'em plenty of water and a bit of shade (that they can\'t eat  ;D ).

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »

We paid 5000 per sq metre, but the adjacent lot we thought of having too is 6000 per sq/m, because it is \'commercial land\'.  ???

That\'ll be because it\'s zoned as commercial, usually 20-50% more expensive than lots zoned as residential.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »

We paid 5000 per sq metre, but the adjacent lot we thought of having too is 6000 per sq/m, because it is \'commercial land\'.  ???

That\'ll because it\'s zoned as commercial, usually 20-50% more expensive than lots zoned as residential.
Would it have any different \'rights\' as to usage, and different bills or costs, if we were to buy it and wall it in as a back yard?

It seems to be the common thing around our way, people buy two adjacent lots, put a wall round, but use one lot for their house, and the other as an empty garden, that can be sold later if required. Not a bad investment plan really.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 02:57:51 AM »
Goats fred, goats. Well one goat anyway.....she won\'t eat everything but she\'ll eat most of it, especially if mixed rough grasses.
However goats will eat a wide range of food, preferring more fibrous food to lush grass. They will eat young thistles and brambles, as well as twigs, they also like bark from trees.

Anchor them down on 10m wire rope, move them daily or as needed - give \'em plenty of water and a bit of shade (that they can\'t eat  ;D ).

That\'s what I was just getting ready to post, goats.  I love the little critters anyway, and they can be an alternative source of good protein.  Very popular \"up north\" where we plan to live.  When making kaldereta, good hand-raised kambing is essential.  2-3 will be more than enough to assist in my \"lawncare\", whatever size I end up with.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »

That\'ll because it\'s zoned as commercial, usually 20-50% more expensive than lots zoned as residential.
Would it have any different \'rights\' as to usage, and different bills or costs, if we were to buy it and wall it in as a back yard?

It seems to be the common thing around our way, people buy two adjacent lots, put a wall round, but use one lot for their house, and the other as an empty garden, that can be sold later if required. Not a bad investment plan really.

Technically you can\'t build a commercial enterprise in a residentially zoned area, certain lots within a residential areas may be zoned \"commercial\" - usually at road  intesections BUT will have restrictions on what commercial enterprise can operate there (usually something that serves a community need - like a grocery store ......recycling toxic wastes wouldn\'t be allowed)

Taxes on commercial lots may be higher - check with your community tax assessor
Utilities serving the lot may also be higher

That\'s because a businesses can write off operating costs against taxes

You\'re absolutely correct about buying more land than needed (if available at the right price) - we\'ll be selling off 7000 or so square metres of our 8800sqm lot at some point in the future - as part of our investment plan

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »

That\'s what I was just getting ready to post, goats.  I love the little critters anyway, and they can be an alternative source of good protein.  Very popular \"up north\" where we plan to live.  When making kaldereta, good hand-raised kambing is essential.  2-3 will be more than enough to assist in my \"lawncare\", whatever size I end up with.   :)

There is some information about goats on the forum here:-
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,515.15.html
Dave posted this link http://www.alaminosgoatfarm.com/ that gives a lot of info.

We had a small herd of standard Philippine goats, kept at the Inagawan Prison farm, but gave them away eventually. Whenever we had a party they killed one for us but we found them too bony to be worth while. Maybe the feed was the problem, but they could roam freely around the farm. There are better breeds available.

Colin