Author Topic: Security Wall/Fence  (Read 8221 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Security Wall/Fence
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Just a general comment on goats

Boers are best for meat production
Swiss breeds Tonnenbergs, Saanen etc best milk varities
Anglo-Nubians goat for both

All are available in Philippines

In Bohol, Ubay\'s Agri farm will loan out quality Anglo-Nubian bucks for servicing local does to improve local stock, probably there\'s similar in other provinces

Ubay Stock Farm Location: Ubay, Bohol Tel. No. (63) (0918)600-3971; (63) (032) 255-3686 c/o DA-RFURegn VII)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Just a general comment on goats

Boers are best for meat production
Swiss breeds Tonnenbergs, Saanen etc best milk varities
Anglo-Nubians goat for both

All are available in Philippines

In Bohol, Ubay\'s Agri farm will loan out quality Anglo-Nubian bucks for servicing local does to improve local stock, probably there\'s similar in other provinces

Ubay Stock Farm Location: Ubay, Bohol Tel. No. (63) (0918)600-3971; (63) (032) 255-3686 c/o DA-RFURegn VII)

Capt..We had 10 goats that were tied up at various points around our lot..(belonged to my in laws) They eat certain weeds like the shy plant and Tawa tawa but grass was not on their menu..
They were tied up to 15 foot long ropes and in no more than an hour they were tangled up to the point they could no longer move..The rope gets stuck on Panglao rock,trees,weeds..Just about anything.. I needed to be home most of the day to untangle them so they could reach water... The final straw was when a couple got loose and ate a couple of young Champagne palms almost to the ground..They also helped themselves to my veggie garden..
We did try a cow once as these beasts do eat grass...It also escaped one time resulting in complete carnage!! 
Think I`ll wait for my BB box to arrive nalang!!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
Having said that...If you know of a breed here that does eat grass I might buy one...Yes..I said ONE!!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Back to walls and fences.. We were looking at a lot for sale 2 months back.. A neighbouring lot that had been purchased by a foreigner had a 12 foot high wall all around the perimeter that completely shut them in.. The old lady that was showing us around said that locals were often worried that if there was a fire or any other emergency that they wouldn\'t be able to get in to help them.. She really did seem concerned..
Another issue with high walls is that they offer criminals,robbers the security in knowing that outsiders cannot see in whilst they do their thing..The point being that getting over is the least of their worries.. Dogs may be the answer although  its not unheard of for Filipinos to throw over poisoned meat..
Here in Manila I have noticed that people are starting to use razor wire..A bit like what you might expect to see on a prison wall... Might be the answer!!

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
10 goats on 2 acres seems like a lot of goats, my sister who kept goats for 20 years says 1 goat per acre is plenty

Goats DO eat some grasses, not ALL........an all grass diet is not good for them, any more than 45% can be bad for them,

Rensonni, centrosema, Guinea grass(Panicum), Napier grass(Elephant grass),  Para grass(Buffalo grass), Ipil-Ipil, Madre de cacao, Kakawate, Gliricidia, Flamingia,
laclay-guinan, gewawini, malabalatong, Calliandra, Paspalum

Now some of the above appear to be more like bushes/shrubs/trees but they ARE grasses.....even our beloved bamboo is a grass

Tethering goats doesn\'t have to be a nightmare of tangles

The \"run line\" can be as long or short as you want/need

I\'m using my sisters experience + a pdf (Goat keeping in the tropics) as my primary guides
for copies, send me your e-mail address in a PM - its too large to attach here

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Yeah that looks like it might work Ron.. I`ll try it with a long length of G.I pipe.. Might even try it out with a cow.
Cheers,
Fred.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »
As for the height of the wall, our neighbour on one side already has an 8 foot wall, our rear wall will be the perimeter of the sub-div, which I want to be 8\' minimum, so we thought it logical to make the third wall 8 foot too, towards the other neighbour.

The front wall I want maybe 6\' high, just enough to stop passers-by checking out all our stuff easily, but there will be double wide gates which will have holes/patterns in to allow us and the dogs to see in/out etc.

I have been advised by Filipino workmates before not to make the walls totally encompassing, for just the reason Fred says: nobody can see what is going on in there. There could be a bloodbath, and robbers have the security of knowing nobody can see a thing.

I like to see who is outside the gates too, at a glance. And I like those outside to see we have a whole herd of hungry dogs, just waiting.....  ;D

Inside we will have some separation fences, to keep the furry guys quartered in separate areas.

I\'ve also decided the garage would be best kept separate from the house.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 12:57:06 AM »
Sounds good King and I think the design of the house and garage also looks really good given the space you have to work with..
If it were mine I might even add some type of panelling onto your back garden walls  so at least you have total privacy back there for your BBQ`s and family events etc..
Cheers,
Fred.

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »
It\'s one thing to have boundary fencing and a totally different ball game for \"security\" fencing!!

Now, what is really wanted in this thread??
B-Ray

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
A boundary security wall.  ;D

It\'s one thing to have boundary fencing and a totally different ball game for \"security\" fencing!!

Now, what is really wanted in this thread??
B-Ray

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
I haven\'t even got our wall up yet, but the wife is mad because I\'ve got the yard all cluttered up with hot rods and stuff. Maybe this should be in the tampo thread.  ;D

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
I haven\'t even got our wall up yet, but the wife is mad because I\'ve got the yard all cluttered up with hot rods and stuff. Maybe this should be in the tampo thread.  ;D

You are having fun with sketchup, have you tried inserting columns and beams; they seem to always get in the way of windows and doors  ;D

Colin

Re: Security Wall/Fence [plus living]
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
When living in Alaska and bought, really traded for a lot, (this is DECADES AGO LOL), and had the work shop built just after the land was cleared and before the water well was drilled.

Talk about an American women PISSED, but maybe that was a form of TEMPO??? LMAO

I see that ~~I~~ have changed my tone over the many years, with grrrrrrr----eat benefits NOW living with another............. under the same roof 24/7!!!

I guess it depends what LEGACY we choose, at this stage in life, to leave behind when time put us ALL 6\' under? IE:  Me, Myself and I, or something else??
B-Ray

Re: Security Wall/Fence [plus living]
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

You are having fun with sketchup, have you tried inserting columns and beams; they seem to always get in the way of windows and doors  ;D

Colin

I just discovered how to do multiple equispaced copies of things, so I may see about a row of strength pillars along the walls, and then maybe some beams and pillars inside the house.  ;D

Worst thing is when something just won\'t do as it is told to.  >:(

I see that ~~I~~ have changed my tone over the many years, with grrrrrrr----eat benefits NOW living with another............. under the same roof 24/7!!!

Oh yes, a month ago I was insisting the workshop be huge, and part of the house, but now I\'m thinking that it can wait a while, and we really need to get decent living quarters sorted out before my play room.