Author Topic: Acceptance of Philippines degrees back in our native countries  (Read 3525 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Acceptance of Philippines degrees back in our native countries
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
In a PM to a member I suggested a possible solution for those of us who are concerned about the deemed acceptance of a bachelors degree obtained from a Philippines university.

When I enquired and started my distance learning MBA degree with Heriot Watt University in 2002, I was surprised that NO bachelors degree was required.
So a Philippines bachelors degree would prepare students much better than I was, especially if Masters was in same discipline.

The program was on a module by module basis (600/module in 2002) and a relaxed time schedule to finish the course

Now I am not plugging Heriot Watt there are many other GOOD university distance Masters programs in existance (do your own research) and they will probably differ somewhat in their programs.......BUT I believe it may be a viable route to obtain acceptable educational qualifications.

These are NOT \"diploma mills\" and the programs require REAL study by students.

Good Luck

http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/online-programs/masters

** I did not complete the MBA study due to pressure of work and 30 years absence from being in a learning environment

Offline BobHarding

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Acceptance of Philippines degrees back in our native countries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:35:14 AM »
My Filipino wife immigrated to the United States in 1999. Prior to that she had earned a BS degree in the Phils and had taught in 2 Catholic schools. She was able to get a license to teach in Washington State, Arizona, Alaska, Florida and Hawaii. We have met hundreds of Filipino teachers who have been recruited from the Phils to teach in the United States. 

Offline ralfy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
I think it depends on the type of degree and other requirements. Usually, passing a standardized, comprehensive exam is needed. For some PhD degrees, master's degree units or better are needed for PH graduates. Some of these requirements should disappear given K to 12.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
ralfy is correct. Teaching in the US is in demand.  As far as I know, unless things have changed, a Pinoy cannot just go to the US and teach.  They must become certified first.  But, about 4-5 years ago a lot of inner cities were actively going into the Phls to find teachers to go to the US and teach.  DC, NYC, Chicago, LA and a few other such places were a part of that. 

But, a lot of teachers in the Phils can go to the US, get certified and legally teach in the US in at least some states.

This is sorta the way it is across most industries.  The head doctor at a private hospital here in Catarman(the newest and best at that) was in the US for 25 years.  He was never higher than a nurse manager.  Basically the chief nurse in a Tampa Bay hospital.  He said he could have taken about a year in classes and then the tests to be licensed and legally a doctor, but never wanted to do it and just kept his position in the nursing industry.  From just a nurse in the US to performing surgeries and being head doctor of a private hospital in Phils.

Interesting side note. For those who watch news tv, Michelle Malkin, a political analyst, is pure filipina...at least her parents were both born and raised in the Phils.  The moved to Philadelphia and did the extra schooling and went from being doctors in the Phils to doctors in the USA.  Raised Michelle there and she went on to get the career she has now. So, some doctors in the Phils do take the extra schooling and become doctors in the USA.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Very few Philippine degrees would be recognized in Europe without a few more years study.

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
The male college grads here cant spell ass. The ones I know have hand me down government jobs, and all they do is sign their name on documents given to them by dumber asses.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog