Author Topic: Ferry from Ormoc to Bohol  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Foreigner

Ferry from Ormoc to Bohol
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
Is anyone able to advise whether there is a direct ferry service from Ormoc to Bohol (Tagbilaran)?

Or do I have to go via Cebu to Bohol?

I\'ve done a number of Google searches but can\'t seem to find a direct route, or it could just be me being dumb!

Thanks

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Ferry from Ormoc to Bohol
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
No commercial service that I\'m aware of either ..... resident of Tagbilaran 3 years now.

There might be bangka service to one of the north coasts ports Jetafe, Talibon or Ubay....checking with the mayors offices in those towns might turn up some info,
but the reefs and small islands would make navigation \"iffy\" at best

Tubigon might have some sort of service too

Offline Foreigner

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
Thanks anyway for your local knowledge Dave, always good to to get expert advice.

I guess I\'ll have to arrange for a ferry (Supercat) to Cebu then on to Bohol.  I hope the connections are timely.

Cheers

Gavin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
The ferries usually run to schedule except when weather  or mechanical problems raise their heads

If there\'s any other info needed about Bohol, use the search facility (you need to be in the topmost folder as it only searches below the folder where you are)

Alternatively there\'s 4 of us (at least) on Bohol with some local knowledge to ask

Offline Foreigner

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
Thanks again Dave.  Given your advice, I think its best to take the ferry from Ormoc to Cebu then another on to Bohol.  How long do you think the whole trip would take, just a rough estimate?

But on your local knowledge, can you recommend accommodation in Bohol?

I\'ve seen some of your previous posts on the subject and have taken those on board.  I recently reviewed a few resorts on a travel site and I like the look of Kayla\'s Beach Resort.  It received excellent reviews and fits my budget.  Do you know anything about it?

Alternatively, something similar?

Cheers

Gavin

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »
Ormoc Cebu is served by Cebu Ferries http://www.cebuferries.com/destinations.asp?route=ORM and Supercat http://www.supercat.com.ph/

Cebu Ferries are slower (average 4 hrs) Supercat (about 2 hours)
Unless you catch the midnight Friday Cebu Ferries, you won\'t be in Cebu in time to catch the ferry to Bohol as they don\'t leave Ormoc until after lunch
SuperCat has a morning ferry around 8-9AM (their website is VERY slow at the moment) so you\'ll be able to catch 1 of about half a dozen ferry trips to Bohol (2 hrs)

You\'ll arrive in Cebu on one of the piers, but it\'s only a short walk to another pier if needed. If you use SuperCat you\'ll almost certainly leave from same pier you arrived on.

Supercat | Ocean Jet | Weesam Express have ferry services to Bohol all about 2 hours - we generally use Weesam as my wife finds Supercat and OceanJet a bit claustrophobic

Arriving in Bohol in late afternoon, early evening - I\'d recommend staying at MetroCentre Hotel in town - good business class hotel rooms (P1500-2000)

Not familiar with Kayla\'a Beach Resort, but have seen it from the road a number of times

It is close to an hours drive out of Tagbilaran and the only resort in Dimiao, true it\'s closer to some of the sight seeing spots but probably little or no competition on price for tours. From the road Dimiao beaches look very nice, unlike most of the southern cost which is pretty rocky.

So it\'s difficult to compare it to the other resorts, that are mostly down on Panglao Island.

Offline Foreigner

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »
All good information, thanks Dave.  Looks as though Supercat is the best option.

Kayla\'a say the will pick up from Tagbilaran pier for P500 and the trip takes 40 minutes.  Their website shows a very nice looking beach with easy access.  On Sunday\'s they have a Burgers, Beers and Blues afternoon, which sounds good to me.  But as you say there appears to be little competition for them and their nightly tariff is P2500 for a standard room.  I think I\'ll give them a try when I\'m hoping to be there in February.

Cheers

Gavin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
Hi Gavin

Yeah I noticed that Burger bash on Sundays, might give it a try

Have a great trip

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
Done the burger and blues Sunday thing 3 or 4  times now.. Lots of Tagbilaran expats meet there on that day..Beach is OK and the food that I have eaten there has been excellent..
Only thing is,its  about an hour away from beaches like  Alona and Bohol beach club etc in case you fancied going in that direction..

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
My reservation about recommending Dimiao for more than a couple of days is that you\'d be tied into the restuarant at the resort.

A few days down on Panglao will give you so much more variety

Offline Foreigner

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
Yes agree about being tired to the restaurant and their website doesn\'t give any indication of menu pricing either.  Although breakfast is included in their tariff, so its only one or two meals a day extra.

But I think I\'ll take your advice and have a better look at some of the resorts in Panglao, there seems to be a few promos going on at the moment.

Cheers

Gavin

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog