Author Topic: Using Contractors  (Read 3681 times)

Re: Using Contractors
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
So, what will you actually do if your build does go over 119 days? Will you stop paying? And what if the contractor then simply walks off the job and disappears? Will you take them to court? Sue them?

The ex-pat community seems to be split in two, about 75% seem resigned that they are on a losing end in the PI, if there is ever a problem they get stiffed, and 25% seem to think everything will work just as it would in the west, courts, attorneys, contracts, agreements etc.

QUOTE: \"It is signed by both parties, but worth no more than a gentleman\'s handshake in the end.\"

I disagree!! †

It DEPENDS on how the contract is written up and what\'s included in the contract, written by YOUR Attorney!!!

When we put out for bid the two story apartment building back in 2006. I asked the winning contractor how much time to build, she stated 119 days. †I question that asking if more time needed? Nope!

Therefore, the 119 days WILL BE in the contract and if not finished, you will be charged 1/2 of 1% of the total bid PER DAY there after! The contract was excepted.

To make that work, you best figure on being on location as long as they are working. In other words, you working an 8 hour day also to keep them from doing the standard ~~that\'s good enough and short cuts~~ GRRRRRRR to get what your paying for.

Without a total contract, the contractor can pull off at any time for a better job and return whenever to complete!! Such a WARNING I was given about a few contractor in the area.

Anyway to look at it.............................it\'s your money, no skin off my ~~you know what~~ what you do!!! I\'m just passing on what I ~~think~~ I know with a BIT of knowledge in the RP building field. †;D
B-Ray
 †

We got involved with trying to organize a complicated contract with our first contractor, but he quit before we finalized it. After that we did not bother with a legal contract, just a written agreement on costing. Things need to be flexible here because of style of building and the attitude of builders. It makes it easy to make adjustments as you go along, builders do that often without asking anyway †;D †It would be impossible to get money out of most builders here, unless they are a very large company so the whole thing becomes a waste of time and money.

Colin
My sentiments exactly Colin. I don\'t see any point in a binding legal contract, as a \'kano\' is never going to see success going through the courts seeking recompense or justice if it all turns into chaos.

The \'contract\' we have on the garage project (same as the one on the wall was) is merely a list of work schedule, materials, total price and what we have to pay at each predetermined stage of construction. It is signed by both parties, but worth no more than a gentleman\'s handshake in the end.

We will do the same with the house. Lots more money involved, but we basically have to take a chance on everything going as well as expected. †

I\'d like to be there for the whole build, watch each stage, but that isn\'t possible all the time. My wife will be in there with the camera as much as possible, relaying details to me when I\'m offshore.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog