Author Topic: Modern Style Kitchens  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Oztravels

Modern Style Kitchens
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:57:08 AM »
Hi Everyone

We are just about to start fitting out our apartment in Bohol and looking into options for kitchens. We would like to try and get a kitchen that is somewhat modern (i.e. two pack with granite tops).

Most of the kitchens we have seen built here are quite chunky and heavy (timber) styles. While the workmanship of the ones we have seen are excellent they don\'t really fit with our \'minimalist\' style preferences.  Can anyone point me in the direction of an \'ikea\' style supplier that possibly flat packs kitchens. Alternately a local supplier that can build and ship what we are looking for?

All help is appreciated

David (Bohol)

Re: Modern Style Kitchens
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:13 AM »
Hi Everyone

We are just about to start fitting out our apartment in Bohol and looking into options for kitchens. We would like to try and get a kitchen that is somewhat modern (i.e. two pack with granite tops).

Most of the kitchens we have seen built here are quite chunky and heavy (timber) styles. While the workmanship of the ones we have seen are excellent they don\'t really fit with our \'minimalist\' style preferences.  Can anyone point me in the direction of an \'ikea\' style supplier that possibly flat packs kitchens. Alternately a local supplier that can build and ship what we are looking for?

All help is appreciated

David (Bohol)

I am hoping to get a local carpenter to construct cabinets to my design on site. Citi Hardware has a lot of the metal sliding racks and even some reasonable draw and door fronts.

Colin

Offline Oztravels

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
Thanks Colin

I will give them a try today.

Cheers

David

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
David, a lot of Pinoys build the kitchen with concrete/tile top with a tiled sink. GRRRRR!!

Foreigners might use the same method but with SS sink and granite top and wooden doors.

Building with JUST wood, think about the humidity, (Island conditions), and insects involvement over time.  Doors  and cabinets can be replaced. BTW, some wood ready made kitchen produces will warp with time!!!

Tropical building takes a lot more evaluation then other parts of the world, from my POV!

Case in point, a buddy built a MASSIVE house in the mountains of the Philippines using sheetrock, (an American term), inside. Three years later, in a few areas, humiidiity is showing it\'s deed!! Standard \"sheetrock\" doesn\'t far well with humidity...................PERIOD and Islands always has humidity!!!

In other words, do right now by current conditions where your at or pay later!!!  BTW, there are NO hard and fast rules, building in the tropics and YOUR, (foreign), ways may not be to your best interest!!
B-Ray

Offline Garpo

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
I have only been here since September of 2010 but have looked at many different homes and apartments and as of yet have not seen or found a kitchen with a dishwasher!   I guess this is one of the things that will be missed but gotten over with time.....lol
If you can\'t be happy here, you can\'t be happy anywhere

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
I wonder how well local \'exterior grade\' plywood would hold up for kitchen cabinet carcasses, if it were also treated with decent varnish/paint/preserver?

I see a lot of local cabinetry built out of the cheap \'ply-board\', with is basically timber offcuts glued together with a sheet of veneer glued to each side.  As soon as it gets a sniff of damp it de-laminates.

I\'ve though of importing mass produced doors and drawer fronts from the UK, but they may well be cheaper locally, and with the same quality, if produced properly.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
I have been thinking of using marine ply for all our cupboards. We were shown around a new house almost completed just down the road from our rented place. Although I was not too impressed with the building of the house in general, the cupboards were very good. They were all 3/4 marine ply with a very high gloss paint finish.

You can buy draw and cupboard fronts from city hardware that look quite reasonable.

Colin

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
1. No dishwasher because many have live in maids or kids to do the dishes.

2. After you cook in the house for a while you\'ll understand why many people cook outside of the main house.  It gets too hot.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
2. After you cook in the house for a while you\'ll understand why many people cook outside of the main house.  It gets too hot.

Aircon?

I don\'t want to be bitten by bugs, and it is hot outside as well. The kitchen is one of the main areas where aircon is needed. It also helps using induction type hobs and a good ventilation system.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
I have been thinking of using marine ply for all our cupboards. We were shown around a new house almost completed just down the road from our rented place. Although I was not too impressed with the building of the house in general, the cupboards were very good. They were all 3/4 marine ply with a very high gloss paint finish.

You can buy draw and cupboard fronts from city hardware that look quite reasonable.

Colin

Save your money.....Marine Ply is nothing more than exterior ply with both faces of grade A, plus certification that sheet has a minimum number of voids in the interior plys.

This certification buys you peace of mind in a boat built of marine ply do you need that in kitchen cupboards?

Furthermore the certification does not guarantee that there are no voids, just that if you find voids then that sheet will be replaced.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »

Epoxy paint is fairly cheap in the Philippines, so I may have a go at cabinet making and spraying the woodwork with that, see how it holds up to wear and tear. It gives a real hard glossy finished when sprayed right.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
Never ever spray epoxy =

hmmmm times change
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-You-Should-Know-About-Epoxy-Spray-Paint&id=4304363

Alkyd–Based Paint is what you need, dries fast, to hard finish

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:46:18 AM »
We painted the front of what was a Sari store, but will now turn into an extra bedroom or sun room with an Acrylic paint normally used to paint cars. High gloss finish, durable and great looks.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »
My rental house has several of these \"hand crafted\" cabinets in the kitchen and bedroom. The paint finish looks reasonable but some of the cabinets have tiny termites inside, so their powdered droppings need to be swept up every day. And some of the boards now sound distinctly hollow when you tap on them. The only sign of the termites is their tiny access holes where the droppings come out.

When I discussed with my landlady about what could be done, she suggested ripping out the existing units and rebuilding from scratch using better quality plywood. Some contractors suggested Santa Clara marine plywood, which has a nice smooth finish, together with a chemical treatment to discourage the termites. The price for these cabinets turned out to be pretty high, and since the landlady wanted me to fund it up front and then deduct from the rent, I decided just to find another place to rent. Will be moving next week.

Richard

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33:32 AM »
Never ever spray epoxy =

hmmmm times change
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-You-Should-Know-About-Epoxy-Spray-Paint&id=4304363

Alkyd–Based Paint is what you need, dries fast, to hard finish

\"What You Should Know About Epoxy Spray Paint\"

??? ???

Epoxy comes in two parts, not in rattle cans, and it is perfectly safe to spray, as long as you have the correct equipment.

I have an organic filter mask especially made for spraying real epoxy two part paint, and it is pretty much standard practise in the after market car restoration world.

If you use the correct kit you can get a rock hard mirror finish, without dying....

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog