Author Topic: Modern Style Kitchens  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Modern Style Kitchens
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »
My rental house has several of these \"hand crafted\" cabinets in the kitchen and bedroom. The paint finish looks reasonable but some of the cabinets have tiny termites inside, so their powdered droppings need to be swept up every day. And some of the boards now sound distinctly hollow when you tap on them. The only sign of the termites is their tiny access holes where the droppings come out.

When I discussed with my landlady about what could be done, she suggested ripping out the existing units and rebuilding from scratch using better quality plywood. Some contractors suggested Santa Clara marine plywood, which has a nice smooth finish, together with a chemical treatment to discourage the termites. The price for these cabinets turned out to be pretty high, and since the landlady wanted me to fund it up front and then deduct from the rent, I decided just to find another place to rent. Will be moving next week.

Richard
Actually she would have had you put them in, deduct it next month, then the 2nd month raise your rent due to the improvement. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »
Actually she would have had you put them in, deduct it next month, then the 2nd month raise your rent due to the improvement. God Bless....

Ha ha I know what you mean. But actually we are on quite good terms, I think she would have waited until my initial rental agreement period was over before raising the rent! :)

Richard

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
When thinking of plywood some years ago, I thought marine plywood would be the best choice. I bought many sheets of the Atlas brand, sticker on each sheet. When I applied a liquid to seal, the veneer blustered. Since I bought them, I OWN THEM!! Which isn\'t so uncommon with a lot of suppliers.†

Needless to say, that supplier lost over P1m in business over the years of building and remodeling!!

Regular plywood sitting around will come apart exposed to even humidity with time. Ply-board which is solid wood pieces between veneer and when cut, hollow places can be found. That\'s when I mix sawdust with glue to fill the voids and some times a lot of poking is done to fill. GRRRRRR

Just things we have found using local building materials over the years.
B-Ray†  

I wonder how well local \'exterior grade\' plywood would hold up for kitchen cabinet carcasses, if it were also treated with decent varnish/paint/preserver?

I see a lot of local cabinetry built out of the cheap \'ply-board\', with is basically timber offcuts glued together with a sheet of veneer glued to each side.† As soon as it gets a sniff of damp it de-laminates.

I\'ve though of importing mass produced doors and drawer fronts from the UK, but they may well be cheaper locally, and with the same quality, if produced properly.

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »
How about something like cedar, black walnut, cypress, or even ($$$$) ironwood. Very expensive, yes, but lasts a very long time even in humid conditions.

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
We are also in the process of getting kitchen cabinets built by local cabinet maker. The wood must be completely dried and treated with Solignum† (termite treatment). In our other house which we live in now. I notice termites under the kitchen sink eating the plywood frame. Not much you can do once termite is in. Apperently the wood was not treated.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
It\'s more the critters than the humidity, although the humidity is humbling.† Virtually any wood, even hardwoods, are susceptible to termites.† They may have to work on it longer but they got nothing to do but eat.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
Trevor,

Usually the treatment used here for preserving timber against termites is liquid \"Solignum\"
which is applied by brush or gun. I treated all the doors and frames with it before installing.
Every surface must be done

Then I read, either on here or another site, that Solignum has a life of only 5 years
and has to be re-treated. What a bummer† :o :o

Graham

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
a nice appearance can be done by using exterior plywood, staining it and then using polyurethane from ace hardware...†

Do the usual wood finish tasks, paint, sand, paint sand and if you want more gloss paint and sand again.†

We are doing cabinets from steel angle iron bolted together not welded, then the plywood was cut to fit, holes pre drilled, used hardwood trim from wilcon, stained, polyurethane, sanded, and then reassembled by gorilla gluing the wood to the metal frame that was painted with 2 part epoxy.†

Gorilla glue works easier then liquid nails.† It wont cure till it has moisture so you need to wipe down surfaces with a damp sponge or rag before applying the glue.†

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
Cedars, Junipers, black walnut, and black locust are all termite and moisture resistant. Ive seen locust and cedars posts driven directly into the ground that have lasted for many years and the southern US has alot of termites and humidity. Ironwood is extremely toxic to termites and very rot resistant.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19:24 AM »
Cedars, Junipers, black walnut, and black locust are all termite and moisture resistant. Ive seen locust and cedars posts driven directly into the ground that have lasted for many years and the southern US has alot of termites and humidity. Ironwood is extremely toxic to termites and very rot resistant.
We just finished our cabinet-counter base out of concrete. We will finish the top with solid surface (maybe granite) and the fronts will be wooden doors. We choose the concrete shell because of durability and insect resistance. One must remember that you can build in any style and with a wide variety of inexpensive AND expensive materials just like one would in the U.S. for example (southern humid states), but in order to help \"preserve\" that construction, humidity must be controlled. AC and a decent system of de-humidification can keep the climate controlled inside your casa, but you will pay for it in terms of utilities. The more hard surface you can use in your construction, the better you will be in the long run. Also remember, you can control the climate inside only as long as you have electricity!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog