Author Topic: Building Starts Today  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
Building Starts Today
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
after a 30 day delay due to the one bridge closed to flooding the workers will be arriving in 2 hrs.....or so the story goes. we are adding to the existing house...second floor with 2 bedrooms, living rm and bath...and a blue tile roof to all areas.... all the materials are on site at my mother/father inlaws place and there are suppose to be 11 people arriving at 7 am to get the show on the road.

we have hired an engineer (350 pesos a day) 5 carpenters (350 pesos a day each) and 5 labourers (180 pesos a day each) for a total of 3000 pesos a day.
contracted \"days labour\" has work starting at 7 am....break at 10:00-10:15..resume work til 11: 30...lunch til 1:00 then work til 5 pm.

father in law says this is the better way to go as he has contracted in the past many times with an agreed upon price ahead of time and he **always** came out on the short end of the stick....either with the daily wage at the end of the job being twice what the hourly rate would normally be and guys (as in the whole crew) simply not showing up for periods at a time after a progressive payment would be made..

hope it all works out...i will keep you alll updated as i write this from vancouver, bc , canada but get daily updates from my wife who\'s on the phone daily seeing whats up..

(good luck nanay and tatay!!)

ra
B E O F S I N G L E A I M ; H A V E A L E G I T I M A T E A N D U S E F U L
P U R P O S E A N D D E V O T E Y O U R S E L F U N R E S E R V E D L Y T O I T

Re: Building Starts Today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:43 AM »
Good luck. That\'s all the advice I can really offer. ;D

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Good luck. That\'s all the advice I can really offer. ;D

thanks king, appreciate it..

ra

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:37:07 AM »
after a 30 day delay due to the one bridge closed to flooding the workers will be arriving in 2 hrs.....or so the story goes. we are adding to the existing house...second floor with 2 bedrooms, living rm and bath...and a blue tile roof to all areas.... all the materials are on site at my mother/father inlaws place and there are suppose to be 11 people arriving at 7 am to get the show on the road.

we have hired an engineer (350 pesos a day) 5 carpenters (350 pesos a day each) and 5 labourers (180 pesos a day each) for a total of 3000 pesos a day.
contracted \"days labour\" has work starting at 7 am....break at 10:00-10:15..resume work til 11: 30...lunch til 1:00 then work til 5 pm.

father in law says this is the better way to go as he has contracted in the past many times with an agreed upon price ahead of time and he **always** came out on the short end of the stick....either with the daily wage at the end of the job being twice what the hourly rate would normally be and guys (as in the whole crew) simply not showing up for periods at a time after a progressive payment would be made..

hope it all works out...i will keep you alll updated as i write this from vancouver, bc , canada but get daily updates from my wife who\'s on the phone daily seeing whats up..

ra

update:

all the workers showed up...at 5:30 am for the last few days. my mother in law is loving it because all 10-11 of the workers are buying cigarettes, fish, snacks and alcohol from her store....
im happy for nanay!

ra

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »
....my mother in law is loving it because all 10-11 of the workers are buying cigarettes, fish, snacks and alcohol from her store....
im happy for nanay!

ra

I\'m sure when we start building my mum in law will open a temporary snack store just for the workers. There is no Sari Sari store for several hundred yards, so she may see a niche in the market and open a permanent place, in the usual Filipino fashion.

When we lived in Cavite every third house had one, and all wondered why they made no money......

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
\"When we lived in Cavite every third house had one, and all wondered why they made no money......\"

hi king

yes, there do seem to be more \'variety stores\' in the philippines per square mile than probably any place on earth....not that ive been everywhere...just a hunch though
i guess the one thing nanay has going for her and her store is the fact that she is right across the road from an elementary school... and of late, all the tradesmen..
one thing that some of the stores offer (very few though) is to have that big machine to do whatever it is that it does to the rice to get ready to eat...breaks the shell off or something...
when my wife and i move there (god willing) in a decade, i suspect that my wife will have everything to do with what goes on at the store while im trying to produce the baddest cock fighters in the history of the republic...

you talk about making it..lol

ra

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
Having a contract for workers by the hour...................I hope you know something about building and know how to work, workers!!

Otherwise, with at many Pinoys on location, you\'ll have some just waiting for a paycheck dong not much of anything...........THAT YOU CAN COUNT ON!!! Been there, done that REGARDLESS which Pinoy you have in charge!!

With a contract involving what the cost will be, in a given time frame..........................you KNOW what the outcome will be ~~IF~~ on location every day ALL day!!!

If, your depending on a, \"Pinoy foreman\", you\'ll get WHATEVER regardless what is said...........that you can count on also!! Unless you can except whatever as good enough?

Maybe I don\'t know much about building here in the Philippines? Only built two new and remodeled 4. But, I\'ve ran off, forgot how many Pinoys, because they couldn\'t do what they said they could! Now, down to two Pinoys only with what took 8 months with many Pinoys, these two can do in 3 months.

OIC, YOUR NOT EVEN HERE in the Philippines. Best of luck, I\'m hopeful for the best and all I can do, on your building project Ricky using Pinays as overseeers.

I\'ve just not heard much good news building from afar in the Philippines for over a decade!
B-Ray

ra

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
\"I\'ve just not heard much good news building from afar in the Philippines for over a decade! \"

hi ray

exceptional effort in the republic!  

to be fair, i myself am not doing any \"building from afar\"....im just paying for it and listening to the tales as they come in.

ra

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

to be fair, i myself am not doing any \"building from afar\"....im just paying for it and listening to the tales as they come in.

ra
That is probably the easiest and least stressful way to do the job. Leave a trusted Pinoy in charge, (the wife) or in charge of whoever is in charge, and just hope all goes as well as possible.

I\'m sure I would go insane trying to keep an eye on everything that is going on, and I am what Filipinos call \'a perfectionist\' in the Philippines.

In reality I just like things done properly, normally, to western standards, and not perfect. ;D

When I say I want a 2\" hole drilled there, it better be just there, and not a \"but I thought\" number of inches away.

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »
lol, we paid from afar and it was pretty much a disaster. Mama liked to keep the boys happy and supplies somehow just disappeared... Workmanship was crude and corners were cut everywhere.  We were pretty much shocked to see the \"finished\" house up close the first time.  Good luck!  
I suggest you have receipts kept for goods n services and don\'t let mama sell the hooch on-site.

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:01 AM »
\"Leave a trusted Pinoy in charge, (the wife) or in charge of whoever is in charge, and just hope all goes as well as possible.\"

my filipina wife in vancouver (where we both live) got her sister in bohol to get an architect to do up the plans which were ok\'d by my wife here in vancouver.. materials were purchased by my sister in law in the republic and delivered by my brother in law who is also over seeing the building as well as being a labourer for this addition... his parents place (mine and my wifes retirement home). my mother and father inlaw both over see the building and defer to the architect who is good friends with my father inlaw..

the *only* thing i have insisted on is that the roof tiles be blue, which they are. since the $$ has already been sent there to cover all costs, (including furnishings...for a total of $35,000 for the addition and furniture) i can truly say that my work is done.  

my stress level to date is at 0%, which is where it shall remain.

unless... ;

ra

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
THAT\'S the problem I\'m talking about!!

Hopefully, you\'ll get what you think your paying for.

Few houses are built to ANY building codes, at least what I\'ve seen in this Country!!! Inspection, if any, are after the fact with a walk through and setting a property tax.

I\'m not here to bust your bubble, just things to be aware of from experience with boots on the ground.
B-Ray

\"I\'ve just not heard much good news building from afar in the Philippines for over a decade! \"

hi ray

exceptional effort in the republic!

ra

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 11:57:14 PM »
\"Hopefully, you\'ll get what you think your paying for. Few houses are built to ANY building codes\'

ray

let me give you a bit more context. when i move to the republic i fully plan on living in a tent. if by chance there happens to be something that i had built that resembles a \"house\" then im way ahead of the game.

you pressuppose that im measuring results by western standards whereas in fact im measuring them against pre historic standards.

maybe if i was sinking a few hundred grand into the venture i might be concerned but im not....im merely spending $35,000....so my expectations are very low.

i doubt with that approach i will be disappointed, unless a typhoon blows away my tent.......and even if that were to happen i would still find a way to be intent (ahem)

love this room...be here all week

ra

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »

.im merely spending $35,000....so my expectations are very low.
ra
If I were spending a mere $35k on a house, my expectations would be pretty high!
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:41 AM »
You should get a 2 story \'tent\' for 35K !!
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog