Author Topic: Wall Electrical Sockets  (Read 2786 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Wall Electrical Sockets
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Why are the indoor sockets single plug versus double.† The outdoor sockets are double.† Am I missing something.† This forces you to use numerous extension cord.
I have changed all indoor to double but can\'t understand the initial design.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Wall Electrical Sockets
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
I think double woul dcost the contractors about 40 pesos extra per socket.

Thats the only thing I have come up with to explain it. \"40pesos saved today is better than 100 pesos saved tomorrow\" !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
I agree that was the only rational I could think of also.† Since they have been changed I can now make toast and coffee on the counter at the same time without using an adapter. Not the only cost cutting by this developer.† Have a rain gutter the length of the rear of the house but none in front.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
Why are the indoor sockets single plug versus double.†

All our indoor sockets are double, but one hole is 110v, t\'other is 220.

I have changed most of them to triple outlet 220 volts, readily available from SM.

I posted about it here several months ago, and it hopelessly confused another forum member, baffled as to why anyone would need more than one outlet per room......

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
I posted about it here several months ago, and it hopelessly confused another forum member, baffled as to why anyone would need more than one outlet per room......

I can NEVER have enough outlets. Lets see - bedroom NEEDS over 20 outlets !
And the room is wired for only TWO !! It is a sure code violation in several countries im sure... wires EVERYWHERE...

1. Roku TV player
2. VPN Router to get USA \'signal\' for roku and netflix to work
3. Apple TV (plugs into #2)
4. Playstation 3
5. Mac Mini - multimedia hub (music videos, hulu, netflix etc)
6. Cable TV box from Skycable
7. Ethernet switch with 8 ports so all device can share internet
8. Cable modem
9. Wall fan for computer area
10. Floor fan for bed
11. Floor fan for kids crib
12. Computer for kid (software installed for 9months - 24 month old babies called JUMPSTART BABY http://www.amazon.com/Vivendi-Universal-3549-JumpStart-Baby/dp/B000028F4I ) P450 at your local DataBlitz in most big malls
13. Kids monitor
14. Wifes pc
15. Wifes monitor
16. My pc
17. My monitor #1
18. My monitor #2
19. Mosquito electric light
20. LCD TV

However my roommates and expat visitors are fin with only 1 outlet in THEIR rooms because they only have 1 fan and 1 laptop/pc per room !

Ooh and that was cutting back... We dont want to cover my music room.. but I can NEVER have enough outlets ! 2 per wall and I would be happy.... 1-2 per room... is SAD !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
Double outlets on two opposite walls in my home design

Offline Chasereo

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »

I can NEVER have enough outlets. Lets see - bedroom NEEDS over 20 outlets !
And the room is wired for only TWO !! It is a sure code violation in several countries im sure... wires EVERYWHERE...

1. Roku TV player
2. VPN Router to get USA \'signal\' for roku and netflix to work
3. Apple TV (plugs into #2)
4. Playstation 3
5. Mac Mini - multimedia hub (music videos, hulu, netflix etc)
6. Cable TV box from Skycable
7. Ethernet switch with 8 ports so all device can share internet
8. Cable modem
9. Wall fan for computer area
10. Floor fan for bed
11. Floor fan for kids crib
12. Computer for kid (software installed for 9months - 24 month old babies called JUMPSTART BABY http://www.amazon.com/Vivendi-Universal-3549-JumpStart-Baby/dp/B000028F4I ) P450 at your local DataBlitz in most big malls
13. Kids monitor
14. Wifes pc
15. Wifes monitor
16. My pc
17. My monitor #1
18. My monitor #2
19. Mosquito electric light
20. LCD TV

However my roommates and expat visitors are fin with only 1 outlet in THEIR rooms because they only have 1 fan and 1 laptop/pc per room !

Ooh and that was cutting back... We dont want to cover my music room.. but I can NEVER have enough outlets ! 2 per wall and I would be happy.... 1-2 per room... is SAD !

Dang! I need to drop by your place while im there! Sounds like a good time! Haha!
I\'m from the government, and I\'m here to help...

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »
I need to research and find some cool outlets that have a bunch of sockets in. I really don\'t fancy having three or four triple outlets next to each other.† ???

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
I need to research and find some cool outlets that have a bunch of sockets in. I really don\'t fancy having three or four triple outlets next to each other.† ???

You can buy universal outlets that take ALL plugs. I have at least two doubles of these in every room, usually on opposite walls. Where I need more I will fit backboards on worktops and benches with double outlets every few feet.

Even although we told our electrician that we wanted these fitted, he was not planning to run earth wires to them† ::)

Colin

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
You can buy universal outlets that take ALL plugs.
Yep I found these too. I mounted a 6 universal All plugs outlet on at least 2 walls per room, in my wife\'s aunties house. All sockets were earth and whenever we visit, we have no problem with our Aussie electronics. As Auntie also travels around the world, she has no worries with any of her power supplies. Just thinking ahead.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

You can buy universal outlets that take ALL plugs. I have at least two doubles of these in every room, usually on opposite walls. Where I need more I will fit backboards on worktops and benches with double outlets every few feet.

Even although we told our electrician that we wanted these fitted, he was not planning to run earth wires to them† ::)

Colin
I\'ve pretty much converted everything we posses to take local plugs, so no need for universal sockets. I\'ll probably have one in the bedroom, or hallway though, for charging nefarious UK phone chargers, Nintendo players etc.

I reckon I\'ve used some 50 local plugs so far, never thought we had so much electrical gear.† :o They are good solid quality though, but no earth.....

UK plugs just seem so huge and clumsy now I\'m used to these slim little two-pinners.† ;D

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »

Colin
I\'ve pretty much converted everything we posses to take local plugs, so no need for universal sockets. I\'ll probably have one in the bedroom, or hallway though, for charging nefarious UK phone chargers, Nintendo players etc.

I reckon I\'ve used some 50 local plugs so far, never thought we had so much electrical gear.† :o They are good solid quality though, but no earth.....

UK plugs just seem so huge and clumsy now I\'m used to these slim little two-pinners.† ;D

The problem with the two pin plugs is the lack of earth, definitely a no-no for me. The Philippine three pin plugs/sockets are OK but not as safe as the UK plugs. I agree that the UK plugs are big and sometimes hard to remove but they are best available. The universal sockets are the best answer and better than changing plugs to the dangerous two pin type. Even more of a problem if you have US 110v equipment with the same two pin plugs. If I had 110v equipment, which I don\'t, I would be inclined to change the plugs to a different type to avoid damaging the equipment by plugging it into 220v.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
The problem with the two pin plugs is the lack of earth, definitely a no-no for me. The Philippine three pin plugs/sockets are OK but not as safe as the UK plugs. I agree that the UK plugs are big and sometimes hard to remove but they are best available. The universal sockets are the best answer and better than changing plugs to the dangerous two pin type. Even more of a problem if you have US 110v equipment with the same two pin plugs. If I had 110v equipment, which I don\'t, I would be inclined to change the plugs to a different type to avoid damaging the equipment by plugging it into 220v.

Colin

UK plugs are good and solid, and do fit flush to the wall, so you can put furniture against them without problem.

You\'d be surprised just how many of our UK electrical plugs I have removed only to find TWO wires inside, no earth. My angle grinders and one of my mains drills have no earth, and several other appliances have built in \'double insulation\', I beleive it is called.

The 110 sockets in our house take round pins, whereas the 220 are flat pins, so no mixing there. I have but a single 110 appliance: my router, which I have never used yet.†

I have also removed many of the old split 220/110s sockets and replaced with triple outlet 220\'s.

I was discussing my projected garage build with the contractor today, and I\'ve told him I\'ll do the electrical installation myself. I\'m looking forward to loads of flouro lights, dozens of multiple sockets, and hopefully some sort of RCB cut off if I can find one.† ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog