Author Topic: 13a Visa - Get it before you're here or after?  (Read 21258 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: 13a Visa - Get it before you're here or after?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
Yeah Chuck.  I have never been there and had to dealt with it but supposedly, they have that office a lot nicer than the dump I heard it was and have also streamlined the process.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
I have to agree with you there the Philippine Bureau of Immigration has come a very long way from the day I showed up with my  Immigrant package in 2008, "Youuu-YOOOu, yoooooou, go over there and talk to that man"  Lol, every single window was occupied by very heavy older Philippine men and they didn't want to talk with foriegners but boy have times changed that and that's good thing, the main office in Manila is very friendly now, a much younger staff with many ladies, if anything I've heard complaining from expats while standing in line but they don't sound like Americans (UK), main complaint is keeping track and holding onto the receipt from your transaction.... God why can't they fix that simple issue?

I've also heard the NBI clearance made it easier for many expats that....like you said showed up here and eventually got married, after 6 months it's possible to fill the Police Clearance need with an NBI clearance.  Before many of the expats from the UK had to return to their homeland to full fill that requirement or those in the US had to contact family members stateside.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »
Bigrod you have a point I was unaware at the time that some of the PBI Satellite offices can handle the 13a Visa, it's doable here for sure for those that retire here initially as single and then marry.

Another benefit is the lower cost of getting your physical done, I think my physical stateside cost me $500 plus...ooff my second physical I had done at the VA and didn't cost me anything.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »
There is no physical(medical) requirement for a 13a if you apply here, from most countries.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »
As questioned in previous post reference financial support.  From post I have read online during your interview in the BI office you will be questioned about your financial situation at that time.  Most have not had to provide documentation, just to be safe I would take the documentation just in case.

Chuck

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
FYI if you get the checklist/application from the BI website, use the Visa drop down from the header.  DO NOT use the drop down from the FAQ header it does not have the current revision of the checklist/application.

Chuck

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
Just returned from the Philippines after a 6 week vacation, still none the wiser about the 13a visa.  When in Gensan recently asked about the easiest way of going about it, and was told to go to Davao where I could get it sorted.
Going to the office with my wife in Davao, ended up losing my temper and walking out as the staff there seemed to give totally different information.  To be honest , they seemed to have a lack of knowledge of their own rules and regulations.
On getting back here I have contacted the Philippine Embassy in London, and also downloaded the application forms.   On there it states that the medical is a necessity, and with regards to the visa it is still for only a year, which then has to be renewed.
Are the rules when applying from the US different??
I just wish to do it properly, but at present am thinking of not bothering and just taking advantage of the BB privelege.

Is there any expats from the Uk there that have any help they can give me please??

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »
sussexrob,
If your wife is not yet a dual citizen, but is a British citizen, she can qualify for an SRRV COUTESY: for former Filipinos (35 yrs old and above) and add you on the application and start all the paperwork in the UK and finalize the process in 1 day at the PRA office in Manila. There's a 15 day waiting period before your passports and visas are ready for pick up. I myself have the Expanded SRRVisa for ex-military service members.
I know of a few couples who have gone that route instead of a 13A visa as long the Filipina spouse is not a dual citizen. If she is a dual citizen, disregard this post of mine, unless you had any military service, retired or not.
Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/jf6hygb
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 01:52:41 AM »
Thanks for the info Art, will read up a bit more on the subject with my wife, and decide the best way forward.

Offline Terpe

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
Just returned from the Philippines after a 6 week vacation, still none the wiser about the 13a visa.  When in Gensan recently asked about the easiest way of going about it, and was told to go to Davao where I could get it sorted.
Going to the office with my wife in Davao, ended up losing my temper and walking out as the staff there seemed to give totally different information.  To be honest , they seemed to have a lack of knowledge of their own rules and regulations.
On getting back here I have contacted the Philippine Embassy in London, and also downloaded the application forms.   On there it states that the medical is a necessity, and with regards to the visa it is still for only a year, which then has to be renewed.
Are the rules when applying from the US different??
I just wish to do it properly, but at present am thinking of not bothering and just taking advantage of the BB privelege.

Is there any expats from the Uk there that have any help they can give me please??

Hello sussexrob,

I came here from UK November 2014 and entered under Balibayan 1year visa free period.
To be honest I originally planned to secure a 13a before leaving UK but as it happened I just couldn't get everything organised so decided to apply once here.
So although I can't offer solid info on getting it done it UK I can share my experiences of applying here.
As it happens I made my 13a applications in Davao BI office.

If you check out the BI webpage you'll see all the documents needed to make application here.
A few documents will need to be secured, certified and notorised the the FCO and the Philippine Embassy. Not a huge problem and can be done within a few weeks.

I was asked for quite a few documents not listed and almost got annoyed. Which doesn't help.

It may be less stressful to go the UK route.

BTW I now have Perm Residence, driving licence and BIR TIN number

My next big target is to renew my UK Passport. I'm not looking forward to that one given the horror stories of some folks

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »
Thanks for the info Terpe,
I must admit I am still debating which route to go down.  I have the forms here at home ready to fill in.  My wife and I might just arrange a day in London, visit the Philippine Embassy and go from there.
I admit I am a little impatient, and my other half is always trying to get me to calm down and not stress out so much, so I have to take her with me everywhere , she is a big help with any language problems.
We plan to move sometime later this year to Davao, where we have bought some land and hope to build our dream home there. Currently have a house  and boarding house in Gensan , some of my family live there and look after it for us.
I have to buy some wheels as soon as I get there, and hopefully rent in Davao whilst getting the land sorted, so might just do what you did and take advantage of the bb privelege.

Thanks

Robert

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »
Hi Rob

Seems our circumstances are somewhat similar.  I am in Davao at the moment.  Our house is just being completed and final handover will be be Jan 27th  We are based in Dubai and will move here full time sometime this year, before summer anyway.  I will try to get a 13a whilst still in Dubai but if it proves to be too complicated might also just opt for the BB and take things from there.
We didn't rent a car this time and whilst taxis are plentiful and cheap, it is not as convenient as having your own wheels, so that too will be first on the list next time we are here.  In fact I was at Ford dealership yesterday checking out the Ranger Wiltrak, awesome and definitely my next set of wheels.
Where did you buy your land?  We bought a lot is SP Golf and Leisure Estates.  Who knows, we may end up neighbors.
Cheers
Londoner at heart

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 03:55:21 AM »
Hi David,  We actually bought the land privately through a relation of ours.  It is in Catalunan Grande, right out of the way not far from St. pedro chapel.   Being an old orchard we had to wait for DAR clearance before getting the tiltle transferred into my wifes name.   Due to the time it took the certificate of title is still in the ROD waiting for us to pick up when we return in a couple of months, then we can get planning permission and start building.
I know what you mean about having your own wheels, recently spent too much time on the bus between Gensan and Davao,  I am looking forward to buying a vehicle to siut our needs.
Cheers

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 06:42:41 AM »
Small world, you cannot be more than 5 km from us.
It is nice area of Davao, away from the hustle and bustle of downtown.
Catch up with you at some point.
Cheers
Londoner at heart

Offline Terpe

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Terpe,
I must admit I am still debating which route to go down.  I have the forms here at home ready to fill in.  My wife and I might just arrange a day in London, visit the Philippine Embassy and go from there.
I admit I am a little impatient, and my other half is always trying to get me to calm down and not stress out so much, so I have to take her with me everywhere , she is a big help with any language problems.
We plan to move sometime later this year to Davao, where we have bought some land and hope to build our dream home there. Currently have a house  and boarding house in Gensan , some of my family live there and look after it for us.
I have to buy some wheels as soon as I get there, and hopefully rent in Davao whilst getting the land sorted, so might just do what you did and take advantage of the bb privelege.

Thanks

Robert

I took advantage of the BB visa free for just under 3 months before submitting my 13a application.
As I recall all the papers need to less than 6 months old (or was it 3 months?) better to check on that.

If you can do it try to have a fairly new passport so that you don't need to renew before securing your 13a Permanent. Getting a renewed UK passport in short time isn't going to happen unless those folks have made some exceptional changes in leadtimes.

From memory, here are the forms I needed to present to BI at Davao:-

- ACRO Police Certificate for immigration purposes
look here https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

It will need to be legalised by FCO, Notarised, and certified by Phils Embassy London

- Marriage Certificate
If UK marriage see here https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
You'll also be asked for a copy of the Report of Marriage doc from Phil Embassy. To be honest this wasn't
documented on the BI website and we managed to smile our way out of it.
Again, legalised by FCO, Notarised, and certified by Phils Embassy London

If Philippines NSO certified copy.

- Divorce Docs, if any, legalised by FCO, Notarised, and certified by Phils Embassy London

I also took, certified copies of proof of income. Actually I never presented or submitted them
and I wasn't asked for any. But probably a good idea if you can.

We also had certified copies of my wife's British Naturalisation certifications and certified copies of
all passports held in our names.

Also certified copies of our birth certificates.

If you need certificates from NSO Philippines it's quite easy and quick to secure online from here
Here are the forms I needed to present to BI at Davao:-

It will need to be legalised by FCO, Notarised, and certified by Phils Embassy London

- Marriage Certificate
If UK marriage see here https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
You'll also be asked for a copy of the Report of Marriage doc from Phil Embassy. To be honest this wasn't

- Divorce Docs, if any, legalised by FCO, Notarised, and certified by Phils Embassy London

I also took, certified copies of proof of income. Actually I never presented or submitted them

We also had certified copies of my wife's British Naturalisation certifications and certified copies of

Here are the forms I needed to present to BI at Davao:-

- Marriage Certificate

If you need certificates from NSO Philippines then it's easy and fast from here
https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog