Author Topic: New Hobby?  (Read 3310 times)

New Hobby?
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
I have done martial arts half my life and no longer interested in doing that as getting older. Sometime I still practice Tai Chi Chuan but I think if and when we move to the outer area of Davao I want to buy a xr 200 motorcycle. I think that would be good exercise if i go off road some and make things interesting.
It\'s funny I paid the almost the same price for a 2001 xr250 in the United States as they want for a new one here. 135k for a brand new one. I think it would be an interesting hobby for me as I have always loved to ride dirt bikes when i was younger and even bought a 1450cc Harley in 2006. Put 11k miles on it in one year.
A friend and i went to a deep sand flats in Missouri and it wore me out. I think just casual riding and going down country roads will be good exercise. It is street legal and can go anywhere. I think it is a great idea I am 42 and need a new hobby, Red Horse is my hobby right now and tai chi is not strenuous enough although healthy to do. Just throwing it out there. Alot of country roads around New Corella and Tagum City but have been warned of NPA around that area. I wrote a topic about that too. Maybe if i stay with my wife\'s brother and he show me where to go should be alright. I bought her parents a xrm 125 honda. so dont\' know if her brother could keep up but i am not an adrenaline junkie just good clean fun.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: New Hobby?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
How about Eskrima? One of the Filipino martial arts, it\'s a stick/knife/hand based system.

http://www.mardb.com/eskrima/

If I were 20 years younger, ie your age, I\'d give it a go.......Aikido in my 20s, Kendo in my 30s, oh yeah and Shoe Fu my own martial art

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
I did many thousands of miles on my Yam 500 around the Angeles City area a decade or so ago. The roads were crowded, and dangerous, but you grew to enjoy the cut and thrust of the ride. Nowadays I don\'t know if I would do it again, as the roads are so much more crowed, and there are lots of \'important people\' in big 4x4s who own the road, or think they do.

I did like to go \'off road\' down the back tracks of Clark base, but there is a limit how far you can go on a road bike.  I\'ve looked at the XR200 myself, may even buy one, as it will be more suited to the roads around here. At least spares are readily available, unlike any bigger bike you might buy. I had a nightmare getting parts for my Yam 500, as it was the only one in the country.

Half of it is in the UK now, the other half in my shed, so it may be reunited one of these days.  ;D

Offline kiwiruss

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
Im curious, is it a 500cc thumper? Ive got two  in my backyard waiting for some TLC. Need a new decompression cable and hard to start without!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »
Im curious, is it a 500cc thumper? Ive got two  in my backyard waiting for some TLC. Need a new decompression cable and hard to start without!

Oh yes, a thumper. The manual I have explains that the decompression lever is \'for the elderly and infirm\'.  ;D I think it is a bit of a mickey take.

I removed the entire mechanism, as it starts easily enough with one kick once you have the knack of it.

Here it is after the first rebuild, about 1997:

And here after the second, about 1999:

And lurking behind my V8 bike:

Offline kiwiruss

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
my old XT500 and TT500...hope the pic works

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
Those would be perfect bikes for the Philippines, great on the bad roads, great for a bit of off-roading, but big enough to use on the toll roads.

Ship \'em over to me, I\'ll give \'em a good home.  ;D

Offline kiwiruss

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Yea thay are fun to ride and sure do give the trike drivers a heart attack when you \"thump\" by.  :) I havnt seen any others in the philippines but heard there maybe another one in Cebu

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog