Author Topic: 2011 Philippines monthly living expenses  (Read 10380 times)

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: 2011 Philippines monthly living expenses
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
rm86

I have admiration for your determination, you have a desire to succeed. I only have one query,
why would you want to live on the most expensive Island in the Philippines?? Is there some
reason that you have to live there, like g/f\'s family?

If there is no compelling reason then why not try a cheaper place to live. Don\'t blinker yourself to Luzon.
I live on what is thought to be the cheapest place to live, Mindanao! I am a pensioner, have my own house.
Costs me around Php40K but I live well. I suspect that you could live comfortably here on the money you describe.
 But as others have said, how will you pay for Visa Extensions, medical etc. You will soon get bored out of your mind
 if you can\'t afford to go out

Graham 

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
Overall your budget is realistic. I do think it could use some adjusting.

Electric - I would at least double your estimate. Especialy if you have any intentions of using aircon. You\'d be surprised how much electicity it takes to run a standard size fridge and water cooler 24/7.

FOOD- Veggie prices have gone up by at least 1/3 rd in recent months. I would add a few thousnd P to your budget.

I agree with Captian Ron. If your trying to go one the cheap. Cheese (anything other than the \"eden\" cheese) which is horrible, it\'s very expensive and a once in a while treat on special occasions. It\'s definately going to be a challenge being a vegetarion here. :)

internet and telephone  I use globe broadband for P990 a month. But it is also required to have basic telephone service which is P800 a month.

Visa extension fees ?

Cooking gas aka LPG is now near P800 a month. You will go through at least one a month.

Of course you can\'t budget everything. But keep an emergency fund in case you have to go to the hospitals. Most here demand upfront payment for tratment. No money ? So sorry !

Good luck.

Paul in Iloilo.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
Electricity bill is twice as high for us in the PI as it was in the UK. We run air-cons in two of the bedrooms at night, but not in the rest of the house.

Didn\'t someone do a comparison here recently that showed Philippines electric was about the most expensive in the world??

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
I think the reasons for the variance in estimated cost vary because of the location and of course lifestyle.

Captianron pretty much nailed the costs down.

I also buy my beer by the case and buy my cigs by the carton. P29 for marlboros when you do it that way. Added plus is you get a couple three red horses free per carton.

I\'d also say double your electric estimate. My bill this month was up to P 9,000 again. But I live in Iloilo which has the highest electric costs in the country. That\'s with running 1 1.5 hp ac unit 20 hours a day. 3 puters, 2 tv\'s 1 standard size ref and my water dispenser.
Gotta have that hw for the am coffee and cold water for the afternoons here. Which I noticed you did not budget for. Not to be picky but seems to me your trying to nail the costs down as accurately as possible.

5 gal bottled water I have seen from P35 to p 50. If your not using at least 3 a week, your dehydrating because of the summer heat.

As was previously pointed out, what are you going to cook with ? We generally go through 1 bottle a month for cooking gas and that was P800 plus the last week and looks like it\'s going up again. Cook with toaster ovens or turbo broilers and watch you electric meter spin like a helicopter :)

I also agree that sending your gal to secure the place is a must. I\'ve lived here over 9 years and I can honestly tell you what my bro in law told me, \"Paul your not going to get any bargains here\" As was said before once they know a kano is involved the priced magically rise. It would also serve you better not to shop at the wet market with your wife for the same reason. I go to the market, but I head to the coffe shop and wait for the wife to order breakfast.

You\'ll pretty much figure out a comfortable budget in a few months.

Good luck and enjoy the Philippines.

Paul in Iloilo

Offline Garpo

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
I have been living in the Luzon area since last November and while I do not believe that you can make it on the budget you have listed.  I and my wife live in a small two bedroom apartment for 4k per month.  No a/c but electric cost is still about 4k a month. Food is 3k per week. We don\'t have a car and spend 1k per month on transportation costs.  Cable TV, internet, telephone run about 4k per month.

We do not live in a gated or secured area and our apartment is part of a six unit building surrounded by houses and open lots.  We are in a small town that has no mall or major shopping so things are bought at the open market or on our monthly trip to Clark and SM mall.

It is hard to calculate additional costs but I can tell you that I have not had a month yet where I have spent less than 50k.

We also are able to make a little extra money by selling small home made things like ice candy, cookies, etc. etc. etc.  We also sell things that will not expire or go bad before being sold.  We also have had pretty good luck by selling cell phone loads which is easy to do.  Nothing here that is going to get you rich or make you a lot of money but you are in the Philippines and every little peso helps.  We have two sari sari stores very close by but I have found that a lot of the neighbors like to come and chat with the Kano while they load their cell phones or buy a few small items.  We try not to compete or sell the same things as what is in the sari sari stores so have not had any problems with them either.  Our best customers are the young kids that love to buy chocolate ice candy from the fat Kano guy. ;D
If you can\'t be happy here, you can\'t be happy anywhere

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Crikey!! I must have the lowest power bills on the forum!!
Fridge freezer,2 TV`s,laptop,5 fans,2 A/C`s (not usually required) Auto washing machine,pressure washer,electric flymo grass cutter.. We are now using mainly florescent and LED lighting.. My last bill was 1,500 PHP!!  
Gasul .... 840PHP down from 900P 2 months ago,lasts a family of 8 two months..(11 kgs)
Having said that,they cook outside quite a bit with charcoal and wood.

Offline Garpo

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Fridge freezer,2 TV`s,laptop,5 fans,2 A/C`s (not usually required) Auto washing machine,pressure washer,electric flymo grass cutter.. We are now using mainly florescent and LED lighting.. My last bill was 1,500 PHP!!  
Gasul .... 840PHP down from 900P 2 months ago,lasts a family of 8 two months..(11 kgs)

Fred,

Remind me to make sure to check my power line and meter if you are ever my neighbor.  You got to be tapping some from somewhere.....just kidding but would love to know your secret to being able to to only pay 1,500.  while using all of that equipment.   
If you can\'t be happy here, you can\'t be happy anywhere

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »

Unfair fred!!!

You\'re on BOHECO aren\'t you?  a co-operative and therefore not profit driven
http://www.boheco2.com/

In Tagbilaran itself we\'re tied into Bohol Light Company P2,000-6,000 per month

Latest bill was P7.49/Kwh

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
I am paying between P1,600 and P1,900 per month, depending on how many visitors I have. Have 3 A/C units, but hardly use them because I prefer just a fan. The bill will go up from now on though, because I just had a 1HP pump installed to boost the water pressure.

Richard

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog