Author Topic: Building has started, of sorts....  (Read 7135 times)

Building has started, of sorts....
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:43:46 AM »
We bought the lot, I did the basic plans, we have engaged an architect and a builder, the wall is mostly up, and they are levelling the land ready for my super-garage now.† ;D

We decided to build the garage first, mainly as a storage room, a place for the workers to live, and to see how the builder progressed. If he makes a mess of the garage we can call a halt before the house starts going down the toilet. That\'s the plan anyway....

But, I have every confidence in the guy and his team, as I have seen his work on other projects.

Here is the 300sq metres, with wall round and the mum in law on sentry duty. It is not the largest lot in the PI, nor the cheapest, but it is what we (the wife ) wants, which is all that matters to us (the wife).† ;D

And the area my 6m x 8m garage will live soon:

And this is the plan for the house, or something (hopefully) very similar:

It is not working out as cheap as I\'d hoped, but should work out at approx 1/4 the cost of a similar place back in the UK. Prices are going up like crazy around this area so after fifteen years procrastinating about buying something in the PI, we finally made the move.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Building has started, of sorts....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:51:37 AM »
Wow... pretty tall walls!
I would get claustrophobic...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »
Wow... pretty tall walls!
I would get claustrophobic...

One side was already there, our neighbours wall, and the back wall is the compound perimeter, so I decided to make all three the same height, 8 feet. The front will be lower though, so we can see into the street.

If we want to see for miles we\'ll just go and sit in the roof garden.†  ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »
Congrats on start :thumbsup:

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:25 AM »
Good luck with the construction. I envy you that workshop. :)

Richard

Offline Tally J

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »
This is my first post after reading a lot of the information posted at this site over the past several months.† All very interesting and helpful.

If I remember correctly you are in the Angeles City area.† My wife and I are planning to retire there within the next four years and have already had her family secure a small lot for us in Holy Angel Village - Phase IV (I believe that is the phase number).† I am curious as to where your lot is as it looks familiar with the tower in the background.

Also curious as to how you decided on your architect/builder.† Any information on your selection process would be appreciated as we are currently in the planning stages for our home.

Thank you.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »
This is my first post after reading a lot of the information posted at this site over the past several months.† All very interesting and helpful.

If I remember correctly you are in the Angeles City area.† My wife and I are planning to retire there within the next four years and have already had her family secure a small lot for us in Holy Angel Village - Phase IV (I believe that is the phase number).† I am curious as to where your lot is as it looks familiar with the tower in the background.

Also curious as to how you decided on your architect/builder.† Any information on your selection process would be appreciated as we are currently in the planning stages for our home.

Thank you.
Hi Tally J,

We\'re up near Friendship, Timog Park. The team we are using is run by a Kano, friend of a friend as it were.† The architect is also a friend of a friend. We are running blind really, and going on what we\'ve seen and heard, taking a chance, but at least we are nearby and can follow day by day what is happening.

We tried out a couple of local guys already, \'interviewed\' them with lots of questions and such, but neither of them inspired any confidence in us, too young, too many promises, too many vague answers. It is always a risk doing this sort of thing, so our fingers are well and truly crossed at the moment.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »

Here is the 300sq metres, with wall round and the mum in law on sentry duty. It is not the largest lot in the PI, nor the cheapest, but it is what we (the wife ) wants, which is all that matters to us (the wife).† ;D

I thought you said M-I-L had been told to sling her hook before you got back next time......looks like she\'s settling up camp for the duration

Offline Tally J

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »
Thanks for the information and good luck with your project.† I\'ve got a brother in law that has a few connections so I\'ll probably start my search with/through him when the time comes to swing the hammer.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:28:15 AM »

I thought you said M-I-L had been told to sling her hook before you got back next time......looks like she\'s settling up camp for the duration

Indeed I told the wife I wanted her out of the country, but I\'ve been softened by the steady progress on my garage, and she does have her uses as security guard/baby sitter/maid/ etc so I\'ve said she can stay until she is healthy enough to leave.† :-[

I\'m just a big old softee me.† 8)

Got some more piccies just this morning, things are moving along at a good old pace.† ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:48:09 AM »
Are those OSHA regulation flip-flops those workers are wearing...lol
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline abw

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:55 AM »
Those footings look pretty shallow. I know it\'s only a garage, but they should around 0.8 metres deep. Same for the column footings, which should have a rebar \'cage\' say 1 x 1 metres square x 0.8 metres deep. Not sure what size rebar you have, but for a single story building, it should be 12mm.

For your 2 story home, the rebar should be 16mm. The corner column footings should be 1.3 x 1.3 metres square x 1 metre deep. Never let them compromise on this.

Good luck.

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
Those footings look pretty shallow. I know it\'s only a garage, but they should around 0.8 metres deep. Same for the column footings, which should have a rebar \'cage\' say 1 x 1 metres square x 0.8 metres deep. Not sure what size rebar you have, but for a single story building, it should be 12mm.

For your 2 story home, the rebar should be 16mm. The corner column footings should be 1.3 x 1.3 metres square x 1 metre deep. Never let them compromise on this.

Good luck.

Andrew
You say the columns need fittings 1 meters square, on the garage?†  :o† I was thinking the footings looked fairly substantial as they are, deeper than I expected them to be as well. They look to be mid-thigh on the workers, so I\'d say approx 5-600mm deep.

I\'ll keep an eye on the house blueprints when they first appear, and make sure they are looking somewhere near what you specify. We will have a concrete top roof too, so that all adds significantly to the weight and load.

I liked the way they built the perimeter wall, with the reinforced beam along the top, as well as the columns. You don\'t see that on many walls normally round these parts.

Offline abw

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 06:22:33 AM »
You say the columns need fittings 1 meters square, on the garage?†  :o† I was thinking the footings looked fairly substantial as they are, deeper than I expected them to be as well. They look to be mid-thigh on the workers, so I\'d say approx 5-600mm deep.

I\'ll keep an eye on the house blueprints when they first appear, and make sure they are looking somewhere near what you specify. We will have a concrete top roof too, so that all adds significantly to the weight and load.

I liked the way they built the perimeter wall, with the reinforced beam along the top, as well as the columns. You don\'t see that on many walls normally round these parts.

I know it\'s only a garage, but it\'s still a similar structure to a house. What caught my eye, was that you have wall footings, which look fine, but you don\'t have column footings. Hard to tell by the pictures, but that soil looks pretty sandy, so it\'s pretty important to have decent size footings for the columns. The smaller your column footings (which take all the load) are, the more likely your building will circum to significant subsidence. And remember, the deeper down you go, the more soil is compacted and therefore the higher the load bearing capicity. I\'m not a structural engineer, so you\'ll need to discuss with your architect. Anyway, at the end of the day, it may not be a big deal in regards to the garage, but it\'s worth asking the question.

Yeah, it\'s a good idea to have lintel beams for the high walls. And I know a lot of people cut corners and not use them.

Andrew

Offline Garpo

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
Really like the plans and design.† Garage/shop looks great.†  I would just put some windows and vents in the garage if I were planning on spending much time in there.† Or I guess you could put A/C if you have the money to pay for it.† †  

Nice place!
If you can\'t be happy here, you can\'t be happy anywhere

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog