Author Topic: Finishing costs  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Garpo

• Sr Member
Finishing costs
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:40:57 AM »
I am looking at a home and lot in the Bataan area. The seller of the property started to build the home and it has all the walls, floors, and roof done.† Nothing has been finished from that point on and it is basically just the cement blocks, cement floor, and aluminum roof.† No doors or windows installed.† The home is about 100 sq. meters and my question is if anybody could give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to finish the home?† Nothing really fancy with just standard tile, plumbing fixtures, electrical, paint, etc. etc. ???
If you can\'t be happy here, you can\'t be happy anywhere

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Finishing costs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
Our house cost about P10,000 per square meter to build.† It has only one western style CR and no kitchen (just counter and burners and no sink).†

I would be concerned if the original owner couldn\'t finish the house due to lack of funds.† Maybe they cut corners to save costs to get the house to the stage it\'s at now.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »
I would be concerned if the original owner couldn\'t finish the house due to lack of funds.† Maybe they cut corners to save costs to get the house to the stage it\'s at now.

Yes, this would worry me too. You need to get someone to have a good look over it, see whether it is built up to any sort of standard, or just thrown together at absolute minimal cost. There is supposed to be a permit issued, supposed to be engineering drawings and calculations done, but whether anybody apart from we rich foreigners actually follow those rules is anybody\'s guess.

I\'d ask around, find a local builder who has a reasonable reputation, find people with experience who recommend him, get a quote for finishing the house.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
Many houses are started and not finished due to lack of funds. There is a small apartment block next to us in that state because the owner lost the money gambling. The other common reason is not getting a building permit. I would check with the city hall to see if a permit was ever granted, and if so ask to see the plans. Finishing costs are the most expensive, and even for a partially built place I would still estimate a cost of at least P8,000 per sq mtr. You may also feel the need to make alterations even if a plan is available, the wiring and plumbing arrangements in most Filipino houses leave a lot to be desired. I would also expect the roof to need insulating. You would need to resubmit plans to get a new building permit. The original permit, if it existed, would have expired after 6 months of inactivity. Another addition cost is for the occupancy permit that requires fire exits and emergency lighting. I only learned today that the electrical inspector expects you to buy their expensive emergency lights; I will be looking into this.

Colin

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
Emergency lighting???? Ha, they must have seen the kano coming.† ;D

I can\'t possibly imagine many, if any , Filipinos putting emergency lighting in their homes.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

I can\'t possibly imagine many, if any , Filipinos putting emergency lighting in their homes.

I got this info from our foreman who said he believes it possible to bypass the inspector and buy the lighting cheaper elsewhere. We do have our own emergency lighting in our rented place, so I don\'t disagree with the idea.

Earlier today the barangay captain offered to deal with the permit for us. She was very helpful before, she organized the purchase of our second lot and did all the paperwork for it. It cost us nothing, although I believe she got commission from the seller. She also recommended our present foreman.

It is not what you know, but who you know here ;) ;D

Colin

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
I am looking at a home and lot in the Bataan area. The seller of the property started to build the home and it has all the walls, floors, and roof done.† Nothing has been finished from that point on and it is basically just the cement blocks, cement floor, and aluminum roof.† No doors or windows installed.† The home is about 100 sq. meters and my question is if anybody could give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to finish the home?† Nothing really fancy with just standard tile, plumbing fixtures, electrical, paint, etc. etc. ???

I bought a house that was 30 years old, solid roof, walls and floor were Ok. It was basically a shell. 80 sq/m
I installed new electrics (with ground) New western CR, hitchen benches, new iron roof, ceilings, floor tiles,
and re-plastered the outside. Not painted yet.

I estimate the cost, excluding purchase of the place, at around Php250 - 300K because included in the overall cost,(so far Php500K)
was a new seawall on 3 sides plus fencing across the rear of the place.
I\'m on Mindanao in Cagayan De Oro.

Graham

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »

I got this info from our foreman who said he believes it possible to bypass the inspector and buy the lighting cheaper elsewhere. We do have our own emergency lighting in our rented place, so I don\'t disagree with the idea.

Earlier today the barangay captain offered to deal with the permit for us. She was very helpful before, she organized the purchase of our second lot and did all the paperwork for it. It cost us nothing, although I believe she got commission from the seller. She also recommended our present foreman.

It is not what you know, but who you know here ;) ;D

Colin

I wonder if your barangay captain has a license in real estate ???† I believe the laws there are similar to here in the U.S. where in order to receive any monies involving the transfer or sale of any real property, you must be licensed :P† Oh† :o. Ahh† :-X Duh† :-\\ ....what was I thinking?† ??? I am guilty of thinking while sober!† :P† Should have had a cocktail first before I wasted that thought process† ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog