Author Topic: Day-by-Day  (Read 36669 times)

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Day-by-Day
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
Wow nice read - thx for sharing.... I recall about 3 of those...

darn... that means I am older than I actually am too :P

If that even made sense ! heheh

LOL -- makes sense to me... now thats scary!!

Maybe I can put together a \"how many of these do you remember\" quiz which can calculate (quasi-estimate) our \"old as dirt\" age. ;D

Good project if I run across a sleepless night with nothing but crap TV.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:17 PM »
Wow nice read - thx for sharing.... I recall about 3 of those...

darn... that means I am older than I actually am too :P

If that even made sense ! heheh

LOL -- makes sense to me... now thats scary!!

Maybe I can put together a \"how many of these do you remember\" quiz which can calculate (quasi-estimate) our \"old as dirt\" age. ;D

Good project if I run across a sleepless night with nothing but crap TV.

Tom in Big D

I shall come out on top of that one  ;D

I can remember washboards before they were used by skiffle groups, and gas lighting in the street.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »
So what happened to Jack the Ripper finally solved?  ;)

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2010, 01:22:17 AM »
If I might add a couple, I can remember chasing the ice truck down the street for the chips that fell off. The news came on at noon and was sponsored by the rural electric cooperative and the stock report was about hogs and \"futures\".
Mike from San Antonio

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »
...and watching for our RFD mailman sailing down the hill scattering gravel to see if he would stop or go on by!

;D

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
...... going outside to turn the pole the TV antenna was attached to.... listening for my Dad to yell out the window, \"there, there... no, turn it back a little,\" until the picture was clear (which meant the reception was good enough you could see the picture through the \"snow.\")

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Yes, I remember those as well. 

Now about that clothes dryer.  I also remember \"ringer\" washing machines.  No rinse cycle so the clothes were wrung by turning a crank that pulled them through a pair of rollers. Then you could hang them up to dry.

Greg,

I also, remember all the things that Tom has posted. I remember one day being in the laundry when I was about 10 and we had bought a new electric washing machine with attached wringer. Mum was feeding the clothes thru\' it and her hand went into the wringer before she could hit the release knob that separated the 2 rollers. 

To the day she died she had a deformed middle finger that went to a round point at the nail end, caused by that damned wringer.

Graham

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
WOW !

A few years and just ran across my first rude as all get-up butt-pirate !

I was slightly shocked too... heheh so I decided to share - first looked for the thread where a forum member posted about a rude woman in McDonalds and cant find it - so here is my day by day from yesterday - heheh...

1. Philippines is crowded... we all know that - people stand in full busses arm to arm - on jeeps shoulder to shoulder .. welll...

I guess one thought they were too good for crowds...

Firstly.. when I am walking I usually stop for people because I am too well grounded to squeeze past a person - they will usually get knocked down - and to be polite I almost ALWAYS stop and let others pass...

ie. I have been known to accidentally bump into doors, etc and break them.. I dont know why - it just happens - lol

Anyhow... Im walking through a fancy smancie mall and noticed my pants keep falling down... oops - I forgot a belt... so I go to buy one.... shopkeep shows me the belts and grabs a few large ones (XXl to fit my 36\" super-sized waistline - heheh)

So I try on the belt and got shoved... not enough to even move my feet off balance - but to a regular person it would have knocked them back or over...

Then an REALLY big local woman (5\'3\" max and around 200 plus lbs) was there with her arms in the air - still in the air from pushing me out of the way (or attemting to push me)... but umm... im kinda.. as you say.. grounded... so it barely budged me... I was just shocked... WOW

Storekeep was looking too as in \"WOW\" lol

The woman just glared at me and called her husbands name...

I was just like... WOW

and the storekeep was like.. WOW

He paid for her items and left - never looking at me once (almost like he was also annoyed with her).... with his bodylanguage I assumed that kinda thing happens often with her - and the ones who resist - he has to terminate -

sad... but  probably true

;D
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
DYLANZ ,i had a friend like her long time ago, she wes heavy, cruel and un social, till we found out why? she was on her way to get her FIX and nobody was going to delay her trip to the nearest  PORK ADOBO  serving establishment. :D :D :D :D :D

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
Filipino \"Good Old Days\" memories?? *** Insert lots of words about good old memories ***
Just loved that one Tom. I remember lots of those things and some extras. But living on a small farm, milking our own cows, eggs from the chickens, occassionally fattening a calf or pig to store for the rest of the year, growing lots of vegies & fruits. Most of the activities on the 4 acre revolved around the animals we raised to eat. Then you had to care for the assortment of animals, by capture/kill/removal of big snakes, goanna\'s, smaller lizards, possums, bandicoots, wombats, roos, just to name a few of the wildlife. Even though these can be worrying for some, it was fun, exciting & dangerous all at the same time. What great memories.... sigh. Riding the billy cart down the half mile gravel road, that led from the top of the hill to the house. Lost a lot of skin doing that, but was that great fun, woohoo.

Tom, you will be making many new memories of \"Good Old Days\", from the first time you start living in your new house/town/city/farm/country/state/province or whatever you want to call it.....it is the next phase of your new life, enjoy making the new memories, that become old memories.

Bruce ;D

Offline RinaldiMan

« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
If ever your in Negros Occidental, and you want to spend your summer there are a lot of resort villas that would be perfect. Me and my family spent it last year on East Villa Private Resort they are located in Cypress cor. Banyan St. Villa Angela Subdivision, Bacolod City.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:28:06 AM by RUFUS »