Author Topic: Tagalog and Filipino  (Read 1641 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Tagalog and Filipino
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »
Tagalog and Filipino..Ever wondered what the difference is,if any?

In 1937, Tagalog was selected as the basis of the national language of the Philippines by the National Language Institute. In 1939, Manuel L. Quezon named the national language \"Wikang Pambans‚\" (\"National Language\").[8][9] Twenty years later, in 1959, it was renamed by then Secretary of Education, Josť Romero, as Pilipino to give it a national rather than ethnic label and connotation. The changing of the name did not, however, result in acceptance among non-Tagalogs, especially Cebuanos who had not accepted the selection.[10]
In 1971, the language issue was revived once more, and a compromise solution was worked outóa \"universalist\" approach to the national language, to be called Filipino rather than Pilipino. When a new constitution was drawn up in 1987, it named Filipino as the national language.[10] The constitution specified that as the Filipino language evolves, it shall be further developed and enriched on the basis of existing Philippine and other languages. However, more than two decades after the institution of the \"universalist\" approach, there seems to be little if any difference between Tagalog and Filipino.
Tagalog is also spoken natively by inhabitants living on the islands, Marinduque, Mindoro, and large areas of Palawan.
It is spoken by approximately 64.3 million Filipinos, 96.4% of the household population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Tagalog and Filipino
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:50 PM »

Tagalog is also spoken natively by inhabitants living on the islands, Marinduque, Mindoro, and large areas of Palawan.
It is spoken by approximately 64.3 million Filipinos, 96.4% of the household population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog

Good info and very interesting!†

To further define the info you provided, I checked the source of these statistics
http://www.census.gov.ph/data/sectordata/sr05153tx.html

I think it important to show the entire quote, with emphasis added:

\"Almost all of the household population who were able to attend school can speak Tagalog (96.4 percent). Females (96.49 percent) had a little advantage over the males (96.37 percent).

As expected, almost all of the residents in NCR (99.08 percent), Southern Tagalog (98.71 percent), and Central Luzon (98.57 percent) can speak Tagalog while the lowest was in ARMM (74.55 percent) and Western Mindanao (77.76 percent).
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
English was more common till Aquino started going all PC and forcing it on the television, radio and schools.† currently at the BOI website it states to be naturalized you need to speak one of the three, English Tagalog, Spanish.†

My family members in the gov tell me the Tagalog push is cause the Luzon Island Tagalog Filipinos dominate the fed gov.†

Tagalog language itself is a mix of Malay, Spanish, and English words.† Philippine Laws however are written in English, and contracts are written in English.†

In a side note, Philippine Law is based on the American version of English Common law as they carried over American law on he books from 1946 and have added on to that since.† That is why there is the bicameral legislative system, castle doctrine, etc.† had a very interesting discussion about this subject with a lawyer family member.

Offline Kerry1123

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:44:37 AM »
\"Taglish\" as it is referred to by the Pinoys I have met, is another way of communication, that may be more common in the major cities.†  It actually is a combination of English and Tagalog words, because as modern language has evolved, the English language has evolved faster.†  My wife often speaks Taglish with her friends who are from various areas of the Philippines.†  It seems more appropriate than English, for them, but sure confuses me.† I tried to learn Tagalog from her once, and finally gave up, since we agreed she really doesn\'t know the complete Tagalog language.†  Now we are moving to the Visayas, to a small island and we both need to learn the specific dialect of the area of Bohol where we will be living.†  In a way, I\'m looking forward to it.... we can be on common ground learning the language together!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog