Author Topic: Lot preparation  (Read 3970 times)

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
Lot preparation
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
I have to eventually come up with a plan to break up and dispose of the concrete patio left over after the demolition of house on a property that my wife now owns. There was roughly a 20 to 30 foot square slab there which is largely still intact. I\'m guessing it\'s 6 inches or more thick and requires jack hammers to break it up. I would plan to break it into chunks approx 6 inches cubed, and hope to disperse it across the entire property as it sits below street grade and i need to elevate. The property sits between Cabanatuan and Tarlac so i think i can locate an excavating contractor with the right equipment on a weeks notice. I plan to come for up to a 2 or 3 month stay, 1 and a half to 2 years from now with my wife who would make contact with the excavator. I would have to step forward in 2 weeks when my wife has to leave, and tend to work that\'s left, possibly with the help of other family members. I want to finish a front wall / fence and leave the property ready for the next phase - foundation when i leave back for the states again, retirement for me, still 5 or more years away.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Thanks
I知 not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Lot preparation
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »
Yeah, believe nothing you hear from contractors there and only 1/10th of what you see. ;D

If you\'re going to cover it with fill, why do all the work of jackhammering it out? Is it in the way of something? If not, leave it.

Don\'t give any contractors money until the job is done.  ;) :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
I agree with Grey Wolf. If you need to elevate the property, why evan bother to break up the slab ? Your going to need to fill over it anyway.
Let you wife handle the negotiations with the Contractor. Keep your foreigner face far away unless you want to pay double or triple the price.
Do NOT HIRE FAMILY.
Put your money in the bank until you are there to be able to directly supervise the work.
Count on spending P15,000 Per Square Meter of floor space.
Carefully consider liviing near family. It can be a blessing or a curse. Also consider the neighbours. Say what you will about living in a gated subdivision. I enjoy having professionals as neighbours. You know the ones that don\'t burn trash, have fighting cocks and stay up all hours of the night getting drunk and blaring karoke or other \"music\".

I\'ve had one house contracted and buit and am in the process of remodeling another. Married and living in the Philippines since 2002.

Paul in Iloilo

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
Don\'t know if it wont be only inches of fill in some spots which may be washed away. If i break it up, it will improve drainage at the least.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »
\'Sup to you, bro. I\'ll bet the contractor doesn\'t use a jackhammer. I bet you P10 he uses 2-3 guys at most, with one sledgehammer and maybe a pry bar.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
\'Sup to you, bro. I\'ll bet the contractor doesn\'t use a jackhammer. I bet you P10 he uses 2-3 guys at most, with one sledgehammer and maybe a pry bar. ;D ;D ;D

Another good point ! It\'s rare to see the contractors use anything but the most basic of hand tools. Probably because, A they are expensive and B Because they get the job finished too quickly. You\'ll find 90% of the time they will milk a job that should take a day or 2 into a full week. Hence the need to supervise every single day and make sure the materials delivered are in fact the quanity and quality that are actually delivered.

There are many posts on the subject of building houses here. It\'s like nowhere else. Just for example a contractor fails to live up to a written contract it takes a minimum of 6 years to get them into court. Do you really think they will hang around ? Something to think about.

Paul in Iloilo

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
Ok , so in that case, my wife can arrange for a local friend to break up the cement by hand. We can start him breaking 6 ft square chunks and see how it goes from there. 1 man only to supervise. My fathr in law uses him often, and i have met him, and no contractor, no heavy equipment. I like this plan better.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
\'Sup to you, bro. I\'ll bet the contractor doesn\'t use a jackhammer. I bet you P10 he uses 2-3 guys at most, with one sledgehammer and maybe a pry bar. ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha, I bet it will be one guy with a masonry nail and a hammer. He puts the nail through a piece of cardboard to keep his fingers clear of the hammer, and then whacks it like it\'s a chisel. (And he\'ll probably borrow the hammer from the lot owner.)

Richard

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »

Ha ha, I bet it will be one guy with a masonry nail and a hammer. He puts the nail through a piece of cardboard to keep his fingers clear of the hammer, and then whacks it like it\'s a chisel. (And he\'ll probably borrow the hammer from the lot owner.)

Richard

Bwahahahahaha! Stop! My ribs are cramping from laughing so hard!  ;D

RayJ, we\'re all having fun posting our experience with local workers, but what we\'re telling you is the truth. Absolute, guaranteed truth! Yes, your wife should hire the contractor and yes, your father in law should supervise the guy so he doesn\'t stop working before he gets the job done. Take photos. It will be worth the trouble later on when you\'re sitting on your lanai talking with friends. You can show the photos and laugh together with your friends.  ;D

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
I understand what you\'re saying. I was just hoping that someone in that area might know of someone who had a small dozer to use in scratching up and leveling the property. Hauling out some old tree trunks, rocks etc. I\'m just happy to get my hands in and work soil.

Thanks

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:38:12 AM »
I have been thinking about your slab \"problem\", and have a suggestion. I have noticed that the concrete in the Philippines is a much lower grade than in other countries. This due to the people mixing it, not putting enough lime in it. (Or not enough portland cement if you prefer.) As a result, it deteriorates at a much higher rate then it should. So my suggestion, is to try driving over it a few times with a heavy car or truck. I think there is a good chance that it will break up just fine with no further effort.  :P

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »

Richard

They are more sophisticated here, they use a piece of wood to hold the masonry nail, and they did borrow the hammer from me, and lots of other tools;D

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »
I have been thinking about your slab \"problem\", and have a suggestion. I have noticed that the concrete in the Philippines is a much lower grade than in other countries. This due to the people mixing it, not putting enough lime in it. (Or not enough portland cement if you prefer.) As a result, it deteriorates at a much higher rate then it should. So my suggestion, is to try driving over it a few times with a heavy car or truck. I think there is a good chance that it will break up just fine with no further effort. :P
Thanks :) , I\'d prefer dynamite, but small tank will do as well. It was a rich doctor\'s house who spared no expense. I think if the cement were ready to disintegrate I\'d have noticed it. But it\'s hard as a rock

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:02 AM »
Dang! If it\'s that good you might try to work it in as part of the base for something instead of trying to disintegrate it. What\'s going to take over that spot?

Not prying, just playing engineer  ;D

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »
Now I\'m wondering. If no expense was spared to build the house, then why was it torn down? It should have been a good one.  ???

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog