Author Topic: The Place Is Starting to Get to Me  (Read 30997 times)

Re: The Place Is Starting to Get to Me
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
Michael the behaviour that you describe can be observed in most if not all countries, most recently in developed nations where many people have got themselves so deeply in debt that they will never be able to repay it. \"Poor impulse control, a total failure to correctly analyze given situations, an inability to plan for even the short-term or plain stupidity\"? Who knows, but we\'re all about to pay the price for their actions. I doubt very much that Filipinos can be universally stereotyped any more than Englishmen, Chinese, Jews etc.

It is however true that Scots are mean and Irish are dumb. Scientific fact  ;D.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »

Ahh Ken lad,

That would explain why is is I have a mean streak through and through, and why I feel so dumb sometimes...

Wayne
Scottish, Irish and Australian Through and Through
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
Michael the behaviour that you describe can be observed in most if not all countries, most recently in developed nations where many people have got themselves so deeply in debt that they will never be able to repay it. \"Poor impulse control, a total failure to correctly analyze given situations, an inability to plan for even the short-term or plain stupidity\"? Who knows, but we\'re all about to pay the price for their actions. I doubt very much that Filipinos can be universally stereotyped any more than Englishmen, Chinese, Jews etc.

I agree, but here the difference is quantitative and not qualitative. While the same tendencies doubtless exist in all countries and subcultures, the total inability/unwillingness to think through the consequences of anything, even the most simple action, is more pronounced here than I\'ve seen anywhere outside of Africa.

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
Don\'t confuse the emergence of Internet cafes and McDonalds, and other manifestations of Western consumerism with progress. The fact is that 30 years ago no country had PCs, and McDonalds was in its infancy. More telling statistics such as improvement in personal economic circumstances, improvements in the quality of and access to education, the growth of inward and outward investment, and a weakening reliance on donor funding, are all trending toward the negative here. My prediction is that in 30 years (and probably within less than 10) this country will be at the very bottom of the heap in relation to all of these factors. It\'s almost there now. Vietnam, whose wars and war consequences are far more recent and more severe than those of this country has surpassed the Philippines in all of these respects, as have China, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
Go back and seriously look at some of the numbers, not just those that you want to see. I see a different story altogether. Whether one likes it or not consumerism is one clear indication of change that is taking place - in terms of discretionary income, infrastructural changes, emergence of a middle class, etc. Granted the wealth has still a long way to go to reach the lowest socio-economic classes, but there are a lot of indicators suggesting that current trends are positive ones.

I guess we\'ll have to disagree. And the stats that I\'m referring to cover a range of economic, social and demographic data that really suggests that the RP is starting to undergo the kinds of changes that preceded growth in other developing countries.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
Mike, I spend my life looking at these numbers, I I guess we\'ll just have to disagree on which ones are important and about what it all means. Admittedly my perspective might be somewhat skewed because of my exclusive focus on Mindanao, the poorest region in the country, but I do get the macro numbers from a lot of different sources. For you, the glass is half full while for me I guess it\'s half empty.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »
I think if the numbers are generated in RP they are more than likely false made up to look good, I am on the ground, I don\'t see the changes that the numbers represent. If they were generated by an external organization it might be a different story, but anytime an external organization generates a report be it the approval rating of the President, Extra-Judicial Killings, or the recent mass murder of villagers whilst the army was looking for a kidnapper trader, anything not generated by the RP Government itself is looked upon by outsiders as true and insiders as false because they did not make them up in the first place.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

I understand how you feel, but as individuals there is little we can do beyond the family and local community. Even as a group, the work that could be done would have little effect on the country as a whole. However, this is not a good reason for not doing it.

Collin

I believe Collin has hit the nail on the head, If any one of us looks at the all of the problems of the whole country, yes, its very overwhelming, but if just one of us looks at a single problem locally that - that one person could change for the better or actually make a permanent change for a long period of time or for good , would give that person a real sense of accomplishment.  one of the reasons why is that he sees it everyday and knows for certain that it got done , not just some rumor.  Now if we all got involved using whatever talent we have ( ie   financial, physical, engineering, appropriations etc..........) we could make a larger change or just make more smaller ones and it would be something to be proud of , because you will have changed lives of others for the better. Now if only this would  catch on thenwe could we see a change in the nation.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 05:29:09 AM »
Mike, I spend my life looking at these numbers, I I guess we\'ll just have to disagree on which ones are important and about what it all means. Admittedly my perspective might be somewhat skewed because of my exclusive focus on Mindanao, the poorest region in the country, but I do get the macro numbers from a lot of different sources. For you, the glass is half full while for me I guess it\'s half empty.

Yeah, I think we\'re operating on different assumptions about what good is, because in reality ... lol ... I think the RP glass is only a quarter full. But given my soon to be retirement income, the States is looking less and less desirable for me, I see more potential with a less full glass in the RP than a much fuller glass in the US. But having lived in third world countries and worked in poorer areas in the US, I fully understand that it is really discouraging to look at people who grow up in a culture of poverty. But somehow, over time, the world still moves on and the changes kick in. And yeah, sadly a lot of people fall by the wayside, but hopefully those that do survive will make a different world.

Offline Pidreamer

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 01:52:13 AM »
I am still living here in the States and feel much the same helplessness you feel there. My solace is that I have a loving family in the Philippines that I have had the privilege of helping over the years. Five kids put through college and all but one have gotten decent jobs inside the country. We can only do so much and the the best way is to touch the lives of those who are nearest us. I tell all my extended family if I help you I expect you to help someone else. Wise advice, but not always taken or acted upon but that is the way I live my life. 

All things considered we are much better off than most there and we have the insulation of our dollars, pounds and euros to get us through almost any adversity we might face. So all I can suggest as has been mentioned find something that lets you make a difference even if is a small way. Hey you just might inspire someone else to do the same.

Of course, the occasional a beer or rum and coke won\'t hurt either. I enjoy hearing all of your perspectives.

9 months and 5 days to go.
Frank \'Stephen\' Shemake

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:14 AM »
Frank said;
. So all I can suggest as has been mentioned find something that lets you make a difference even if is a small way. Hey you just might inspire someone else to do the same.

I couldn\'t have said it better myself!

ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »
Great story well told, Jack ;D ;D

Something else that happened to me recently. In a Manila mall food court I had to be different and go for the Japanese sashimi. There was this appetising light green creamy looking sauce which I spread liberally on a prawn. Took one bite and OMG it was the Japanese raddish! Nobody told me and I had to sit still and silent for several minutes till the fire went away. English mustard has absolutely nothing on this so be warned if you have not come across it before.

John

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 02:43:11 AM »
I hope it\'s better than Phoenix, AZ in the summertime!
We plan on moving to Zambales soon.

No matter wherever you go, there you are.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »
I hope it\'s better than Phoenix, AZ in the summertime!
We plan on moving to Zambales soon.

No matter wherever you go, there you are.

It\'s nowhere near as hot as AZ in the summertime, but it does get extremely humid, which is another dimension to be aware of. 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
  Hey All,
              At this posting there has been 1127 views of this thread, which started as \" This place is starting to get to me \" which also is the highest number of views of any thread on this forum if my searching is correct.
     Why in your opinion is this number so high? is it really getting to people?
 or are others just curious as to why it is getting to someone else  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Ray

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »
  Hey All,
              At this posting there has been 1127 views of this thread, which started as \" This place is starting to get to me \" which also is the highest number of views of any thread on this forum if my searching is correct.
     Why in your opinion is this number so high? is it really getting to people?
 or are others just curious as to why it is getting to someone else  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Ray

My guess would be the latter
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH