Author Topic: The USD and Peso Relationship in Recent History - Observations  (Read 8079 times)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
Re: The USD and Peso Relationship in Recent History - Observations
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 03:38:53 AM »
Beatle, i hope your wrong, :) billy, but if afraid your right.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 07:17:28 AM »
But it\'s no different at all here. I filled my tank with diesel a few days ago and, at Php50+ per liter, it cost me almost Php3,100. The price of rice and other staples has gone through the roof and inflation is almost 10% officially and probably significantly more if calculated honestly. The price of gas seems to go up by about Php1.5 every week or so and it doesn\'t look like there\'s any end in sight.

While it\'s true that it remains significantly less expensive here than in the US, it\'s equally true that, if you want Western amenities, the price differential is nowhere near what it used to be. This might have presented itself more dramatically to me because I purchase only Western-type foods (aside from fruits and veggies) and find the local cuisine among the worst and least healthy I\'ve ever experienced. Therefore, most of what I buy is imported from Europe or Australia.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 08:34:40 AM »
But it\'s no different at all here. I filled my tank with diesel a few days ago and, at Php50+ per liter, it cost me almost Php3,100. The price of rice and other staples has gone through the roof and inflation is almost 10% officially and probably significantly more if calculated honestly. The price of gas seems to go up by about Php1.5 every week or so and it doesn\'t look like there\'s any end in sight.

While it\'s true that it remains significantly less expensive here than in the US, it\'s equally true that, if you want Western amenities, the price differential is nowhere near what it used to be. This might have presented itself more dramatically to me because I purchase only Western-type foods (aside from fruits and veggies) and find the local cuisine among the worst and least healthy I\'ve ever experienced. Therefore, most of what I buy is imported from Europe or Australia.

......and the fresh pork,chicken & fish is excellent. If you eat out, the local food can be unhealthy (fatty) but you don\'t need to stay away from local fresh meat & fish, just choose wisely & cook healthy.

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
Talking of inflation, Alabang Town Centre is increasing its parking price from Jul, 1 to 20 pesos from 15, thats 33.3%.
My local club has increased the price of an SMB from 20 to 25 pesos thats 25%.

Now what does parking and a beer cost in England? he he

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Talking of inflation, Alabang Town Centre is increasing its parking price from Jul, 1 to 20 pesos from 15, thats 33.3%.
My local club has increased the price of an SMB from 20 to 25 pesos thats 25%.

Now what does parking and a beer cost in England? he he

And the petrol/gas  :o ::)

My daughter told me a few days ago that bread now costs almost £1 a loaf and a cauliflower has tripled in price in a few months.

Colin

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »
Right, I forgot about the chicken. It\'s not bad. In my opinion, the local beef is awful and I would never buy it. The only pork I eat is bacon or sausage so I cannot comment on fresh pork. Here in Davao some of the specialty stores have started selling ostrich meat from birds that are grown locally and it\'s not bad either. The local bread seems to be made from equal parts flour and sugar and to me, it\'s inedible, so I buy stuff from a Swiss baker who makes real bread every couple of hours.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
Right, I forgot about the chicken. It\'s not bad. In my opinion, the local beef is awful and I would never buy it. The only pork I eat is bacon or sausage so I cannot comment on fresh pork. Here in Davao some of the specialty stores have started selling ostrich meat from birds that are grown locally and it\'s not bad either. The local bread seems to be made from equal parts flour and sugar and to me, it\'s inedible, so I buy stuff from a Swiss baker who makes real bread every couple of hours.

The pork here is reasonable but the beef is vary variable. I had a pork dish a few days ago from a local calendera and even a sharp knife had trouble cutting it. I agree about the standard local bread, completely inedible but fortunately we have found a small local bakery that sells a reasonable wheat bread. I did bring my bread machine with me from the UK , but unfortunately it was designed to work on 50Hz so will run fast on the 60Hz here. I will buy a new one on my next visit to Manila.

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
Not all electronic machines pull their timing from the circuit frequency actually most of the time its so unreliable they just use internal oscillators for timing referenced from a Crystal, a pc is a case in point. Their electronics are run by dc, so they will have their own clocking circuit.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »
Not all electronic machines pull their timing from the circuit frequency actually most of the time its so unreliable they just use internal oscillators for timing referenced from a Crystal, a pc is a case in point. Their electronics are run by dc, so they will have their own clocking circuit.

Wayne, I must admit that I have not tried it, but I can\'t imagine something as basic as a bread machine needing a crystal controlled timer. Even a few minutes error is going to make little difference to a loaf of bread.

Colin

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
We\'re lucky here in Davao to have a place that\'s owned by two Swiss guys; one is a baker and the other\'s a butcher. These guys make their own sausages and bacon, import a nice range of French and Italian cheeses, import lots of wine and bake about four varieties of bread every day. They also sell Black Angus US beef, so there\'s no problem getting any of this stuff, but it\'s expensive.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 01:03:52 AM »
Colin, I have one here, its a 110v version from the US, works just fine. Because the lcd is driven from DC it has its own timer controller circuit, I opened it and checked, nice little crystal sitting on the circuit board with a 555 timer as well, simple and efficient.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »
Colin, I have one here, its a 110v version from the US, works just fine. Because the lcd is driven from DC it has its own timer controller circuit, I opened it and checked, nice little crystal sitting on the circuit board with a 555 timer as well, simple and efficient.

Thanks Wayne, I will dig mine out later and open it up. I just made the assumption that it would not work based on a radio clock alarm.

Colin

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
I have found Goldilocks has good wheat bread and it can be found in Cebu and Leyte.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog