Author Topic: Natural or Wood House  (Read 15336 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Natural or Wood House
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
A friend of mine did a bit of both with his place.  I have permission to share the photos

Here\'s a link to an updated photo album of my friend\'s bamboo house:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/litenup-b-happy

Fred, that is one fine looking house, my friend!  You should be proud of that one!  I would have no issues living in a house like that.  Damn fine job!

Salamat po!

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the photos guys.
Its tough to find build threads for nipa huts ;D

Ive been looking for drawings or plans for for these type homes....not finding too much. If you know of a website or pics for this type of homes...let me know.

Thanks
Murph

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:34 AM »
Drawing plans?  Hahahaha!   ;D  ;D  ;D  Murphy, this is the Philippines.  They don\'t build nipa houses using \"plans\".  But, you can find tons of websites and videos showing how \"they\" did it.  Most of those however are actually bahay kubos, not really houses.  The principle is the same, just larger for an actual house.

Fred?  How did they build your house?
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Murphy

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
Hey!......lol...Im glad I gave you such a big laugh...but 3 smiley faces....cmon :D.

No..seriously...We are looking at cottages or villas from resorts as models....seems to be closest to what we want.
More like treated hardwood ceiling beams...instead of bamboo. Cost will dictate in the end though....so its good to see the options.

If Freds had a metal insulated roof...would be close to our future home. Im interested in seeing his kitchen and bath. Ive seen some real nice modern touches added to nipa huts...granite counters and hardwood look great together.

Murphy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »
Many have built homes that blend in with the Pinoy style and then outfit the interior fully modern with granite counter tops, fully tiled CR\'s, the works!  Let your spirit and imagination run wild, my friend!  If properly planned, you can build your dream house for 1/5 US prices.

Dream Big!!   :)  :)  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
I\'d live in a cardboard box, if it had high-speed internet!   ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »
Drawing plans?  Hahahaha!   ;D  ;D  ;D  Murphy, this is the Philippines.  They don\'t build nipa houses using \"plans\".  But, you can find tons of websites and videos showing how \"they\" did it.  Most of those however are actually bahay kubos, not really houses.  The principle is the same, just larger for an actual house.

Fred?  How did they build your house?

The small nipa huts that I think you are talking about are built in a week or two and dont require permission because of their size..Usually built by farmers and poor families..

Just about every other type of structure though does need a building permit which of course means engineer drawings and plans etc.
Once we had all that organized we pretty much did it all ourselves with the help of one carpenter and two general labourers..

Cheers,

Fred.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:35 PM »
Don\'t forget to use the solignum wood preservative on everything.  Douse the ground around the hut too.  That is unless you enjoy ants in your sugar, coffee, eating holes in your plastic food wrappers, biting you at night and eating your hut around you.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »
Forget solignum for ants!!   Waste of time! Those buggers will find a bridge across anything unsavory.. And thats not much!  We used solignum in many areas and I\'m sure it just encourages them!!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:32 AM »
The small nipa huts that I think you are talking about are built in a week or two and dont require permission because of their size..Usually built by farmers and poor families..

Just about every other type of structure though does need a building permit which of course means engineer drawings and plans etc.
Once we had all that organized we pretty much did it all ourselves with the help of one carpenter and two general labourers..

Cheers,

Fred.

Fred,  Yes, you\'re right.  I was thinking more of smaller nipa huts.  And even then, ones that are built in the province.  Something of better quality would certainly need to be pre-approved by the barangay or city engineers. 

As far as drawings and plans, I did the drawings for the house we built in Novaliches using the free Google program, SketchUp.  http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/index.html  I didn\'t pay for anything better than the free download and it worked wonders for us. 

When the family went to get their building permit, the city engineer looked at the drawings and gave them a \"discount\" for the building plans and bulding permit.  It saved us around 10,000Php.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »

Fred,  Yes, you\'re right.  I was thinking more of smaller nipa huts.  And even then, ones that are built in the province.  Something of better quality would certainly need to be pre-approved by the barangay or city engineers. 

As far as drawings and plans, I did the drawings for the house we built in Novaliches using the free Google program, SketchUp.  http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/index.html  I didn\'t pay for anything better than the free download and it worked wonders for us. 

When the family went to get their building permit, the city engineer looked at the drawings and gave them a \"discount\" for the building plans and bulding permit.  It saved us around 10,000Php.

I designed my house using Chief Architect, better than AutoCad, but later converted it to Sketchup. Unless you are an Architect familiar with the Philippine type of construction you are going to need an engineer to put in the details. Sketchup is more than adequate and the 3D rendering is a lot faster than the more complex programmes. A draughtsman or engineer will, most likely, convert it to AutoCad which seems to be the standard used by most city engineering departments.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
Forget solignum for ants!!   Waste of time! Those buggers will find a bridge across anything unsavory.. And thats not much!  We used solignum in many areas and I\'m sure it just encourages them!!

The only answer to ants is to not leave ANY food lying around. Anything left on the table should be stood in a tray of water. We put any opened packages in the refrigerator.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »
Forget solignum for ants!!   Waste of time! Those buggers will find a bridge across anything unsavory.. And thats not much!  We used solignum in many areas and I\'m sure it just encourages them!!

The family uses borax with pretty good effect.  But keeping everything wiped down at all times has about the same effect.  Those little ants are vicious little [strike]bastards[/strike]... critters!  >:(
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
I have put a gallon of solignum around the house last week and no more ants.  Solignum has permethrin in it at 1%.  Permethrin is good for about 4 months and is the same stuff applied to Army uniforms for bugs.  Stays in for 4 months, even thru repeated washings. 

I applied mine with the paint sprayer and wore a mask. 

We built new shelves, and new cabinets in the dirty kitchen this week.  Treated all with Solignum.

For those westerners with visions of living in a Nipa hut like Gilligan.  I give them about 5 days before they start looking for something else.  It is a high of 34C here today and super humid.  Up in Angeles it is even worse cause there is no wind.

I lived in a tent in Africa during the summer, and I still use air conditioner here on very low setting to save electricity and a fan. 

there is also the whole kitchen issue. 

The dirty kitchen in the Philippines, oftentimes becomes the filthy kitchen without a lot of work.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
Metz,

Don\'t forget that Solignum has a *life* which
I believe is 5 years. I\'m coming up for 3+ years
for the timber door frames and cupboards.

Not looking forward to slapping it around again  :(

Graham.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog