Author Topic: Jeepney  (Read 5158 times)

Offline jmauser

• Sr Member
Jeepney
« on: June 24, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »
Ok, this is probably an old one, but still my favorite.

How many Filippinos can you fit in a Jeepney?

One more.

Best joke I have heard (understood) yet. Thanks to the Kano owner at a resort in Dimiao, Bohol.
(still nothing witty comes to mind)

Offline halibaitor

• Sr Member
Re: Jeepney
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »
I think I\'ve been in that jeepney...   :P

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
Hehehe.....and even though they are com pletely full, the driver will wait at the corner trying/ hoping to find \"just 1 more\"

They then start sitting them on the floor.....and hanging onto the sides of jeepney.....anybody see anything unsafe about this??

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
It\'s only unsafe if you\'re one of the ones hangin on the outside  ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »
Every time we ride in a jeepney my wife will tell the driver she\'ll pay extra for me due to my kano size body, if the driver will stop overloading the vehicle.  She pays for 3 instead of two, but still the driver will cram in \"just one more\", somehow, somewhere.   ;D

On one occasion it was simply too stifling for me to ride inside, crammed in with 23-24 other people.  I noticed when we climbed in that the jeepney had a step on each side of the rear entrance, along with rails to hold onto.  So the next stop the driver made, I got up from my seat (much to the dismay of the missus) and took a spot on the rear of the jeepney.  I loved it!  We got a lot of attention as we cruised through Novaliches on the way to the SM Fairview Mall.   ;D  ;D  ;D   

I\'m sure to this day that the local people tell about the day they saw a big kano baboy hanging on the rear of a jeepney.  Hahahaha!    ;D  ;D  ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
Some years ago we were traveling on a multicab that lost power and could not make it up a small low hill. Several men jumped out to help it over and were amazed when i joined them. Foreigners are not expected to do that sort of thing. It reminded me of the time I owned an Austin 7 with a slipping clutch and had to do the same thing ;D

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
Austin 7 Colin, you are showing your age!

Hang on a sec, I remember my family owning one and travelling overnight down to Cornwall. Those were the days when it was an overnight journey to the west country.

I have seen photos of jeepneys with people and baggage on jeepney roofs. Not actually experienced that yet, maybe it is in the more rural areas.

Despite the overcrowding I love travelling by jeepney, you just need to allow plenty of time unless you are travelling just a short distance. I remember once we were waiting in a stifling hot jeepney, at the local terminal as it slowly filled up, knowing we would be stuck there until it was crammed full. One of the attendants noticed me, the lone kano, and fetched a free standing fan which he directed into our jeepney. I guess I was briefly a popular chap amongst the other passengers in that tin oven.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
I have seen photos of jeepneys with people and baggage on jeepney roofs. Not actually experienced that byet, maybe it is in the more rural areas.

LOL
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Westernman

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:11 AM »
I have seen photos of jeepneys with people and baggage on jeepney roofs. Not actually experienced that byet, maybe it is in the more rural areas.

LOL

Nice! that looks safe!
You will always miss the shot you don't take.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
Austin 7 Colin, you are showing your age!

I imagine I am the oldest member here, for the record I will be 3/4 century very very soon ;D

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
It\'s okay, Colin. Age is relative...it\'s just a number, it\'s how you feel that counts.  ;D :).
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
You only got me by 5 years colin....not a great difference between a 38 and a 45 pistol, both kick about the same.... :)....hahahahaha
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
Jeepenies, driven by illiterates high on shabu or drunk on gin.  A train horn for your car is a wise investment.

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
Wow Colin. Youve got me by a little over 30 years.

Actually, shortman, the US Army used a .38 as a test weapon not long after we took the RP from the Spanish. Seems some of the Filipinos wanted indepenence right then. They quickly dumped the .38\'s because it didnt have enough power to stop the Filipinos. They also tested what would become the 1911-A. It had alot more stopping power. You know, sometimes I think I read a little too much history.

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »
Just pulling colin\'s chain....lol. Your history is accurate, keep reading it is a great hobby.
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog