Author Topic: Furniture Manila - online shop  (Read 4845 times)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
Furniture Manila - online shop
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
Looking to furnish our new house Mrs Gee has come across a company called Furniture Manila, an online company based in Makati. We are thinking of ordering much of our furniture requirements from them as our house is only a couple of hours north of that, and their prices are lower than more local companies which offer the same. At present we have an empty and almost completed house we will move into in September for a stay of several months.

Before doing that, however, has anyone heard of this company? I am loathe to commit money upfront, even though they only require a deposit for furniture ordered, with full payment on delivery. Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks  Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Furniture Manila - online shop
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
Looking to furnish our new house Mrs Gee has come across a company called Furniture Manila, an online company based in Makati. We are thinking of ordering much of our furniture requirements from them as our house is only a couple of hours north of that, and their prices are lower than more local companies which offer the same. At present we have an empty and almost completed house we will move into in September for a stay of several months.

Before doing that, however, has anyone heard of this company? I am loathe to commit money upfront, even though they only require a deposit for furniture ordered, with full payment on delivery. Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks  Paul

I do not know them but I do know that much of the average furniture made in the Philippines is made for the often smaller lighter Filipinos, so my question would be, how would you know how comfortable something is or how much weight it might support without sitting on, or in it. We shopped for a lot of furniture to furnish our condo in Cebu and I had to reject most of what we saw because it was too low for me and some of it because it was not at all comfortable, so while some things you might be able to buy online, I would never buy anything I could not see and test physically before buying it, no matter how much I might save.

Just my POV after having bought a kitchen table and chairs where the chairs seat collapsed under my 210lb weight the third time I sat on it, so that was the last mistake I made and tried and carefully examined everything else before buying it.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »
The Philippine wooden seats look good and are often strong, but very uncomfortable. The seats are hard and the carved backs dig into you. When I visit other houses i have to find cushions but even then can\'t sit for long. I will get up and walk around to restore my circulation. I guess that as Filipinos grow up their bodies adapt to them. It is important to test furniture before you buy it.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »
Mr Lee, I had not thought of the quality issues for their furniture. I am nearish to Filipino weight so that would not be a problem, but flimsy is flimsy whatever weight you are.

Mrs Gee has is in her mind that when we arrive at our new house she wants it full of furniture ready for our stay, whereas I would be happy if it just contained a bed and we could then furnish during our stay. Unfortunately I am losing the argument, though I have waved your reasoning in front of her eyes.

Colin, I agree that the hardwood chairs etc are pretty uncomfortable, yet so prevalent. Even their foam seems harder than any I have sat on before. I would much rather be able to test drive some of this furniture before we buy.

One concern I have is the mattress quality. Can anyone recommend a good make/brand? Foam seems  quite common as a mattress and I am not sure what the coil/spring mattress makes are like and whether they are comparable to those of our western tastes.

Paul

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
One concern I have is the mattress quality. Can anyone recommend a good make/brand? Foam seems  quite common as a mattress and I am not sure what the coil/spring mattress makes are like and whether they are comparable to those of our western tastes.

Paul

I have seen cutaway samples of thick Slumberland mattresses in a local store but for order only. Other than that it is all foam. We have been using a good quality foam mattress for six years and it is still ok. The only problem is that it sends a minor tsunami with every movement ;D

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
Shoe Mart has everything you need.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:04:27 AM »
Shoe Mart has everything you need.

Yes, although I\'ve not spent any time shopping for one yet, I believe I\'ve seen major brand inner-spring mattresses for sale in the larger malls.   
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
The coil spring mattresses I have seen have all been good quality and pretty expensive. And most of them are just too hard for my comfort. In the west you get several choices of firmness, but here in Batangas they only seem to stock the hardest grade. Maybe Manila will have more choice available.

Richard

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »
Perhaps a combination would work.  I bought a mattress here in the US several years back at a special sale.  It was a no refund / no return deal.  I should have known better, but needed a mattress badly and bought one of the better matresses available.  It was hard as a rock!  But with a no return policy on the sale I was stuck. 

Then a couple of days later I found a great deal on a mattress topper made of dense memory foam similar to the very expensive mattresses sold on TV.  I put the foam mattress on top of the inner spring mattress and was in heaven!  The combo lasted me for years until the inner spring mattress wore out.  The good news?  I still have the foam topper!  I\'m going to put it into the next balikbayan box we send and have them save it for me. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
Perhaps a combination would work.  I bought a mattress here in the US several years back at a special sale.  It was a no refund / no return deal.  I should have known better, but needed a mattress badly and bought one of the better matresses available.  It was hard as a rock!  But with a no return policy on the sale I was stuck. 

Then a couple of days later I found a great deal on a mattress topper made of dense memory foam similar to the very expensive mattresses sold on TV.  I put the foam mattress on top of the inner spring mattress and was in heaven!  The combo lasted me for years until the inner spring mattress wore out.  The good news?  I still have the foam topper!  I\'m going to put it into the next balikbayan box we send and have them save it for me. 

Good idea Jack, as I am sure we will end up buying \'sight unseen\' before our arrival there. I have seen those memory foam toppers advertised, not sure if they are sold in the Philippines, but a good idea to ship out. All part of the great adventure that is the Philippines!

You are right Richard, everything one sits on or lies on seems to be harder in the Philippines.

Paul

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog